Basic 8 - Knee slide

From: noshame Questions on finishing shots are arising, so i thought i'd throw this minor skill out at ya. it's called a knee slide. first, the drill. start on your knees and elbows (body slightly extended, not completely turtled). now take your right knee (for descirptive purposes, wrestling should be ambidextrous) and slid it just forward, but between your elbows. be sure that your toes turn inside (instead of remaining flat or pointing outside). since your hips can now get underneath your body, your elbows should be unweighted and you can sit up with ease. apply this to shots. to get stopped on a shot, you have to be extended (hips aren't below your body). now, imagine that you shot a double (his body to your right shoulder) and he sprawls. you are extended. start by knee sliding your right knee towards your direction of drive. done properly, this will make it easier for you to turn the corner and finish the shot. the key is not any magic potion or technique. the key is getting your hips, or power, under your body. there are many finishes to stopped shots, some involve slipping, others dumping, yet others, driving. knee slides will help on the driving and dumping finishes. no shame

From: Chip Cochran Good stuff, no shame! Thanks! The knee slide is definitely a great skill to learn. It's not really a "move" or complete technique in itself, but it can be incorporated into so many different situations - particularly for finishing up takedowns. By the way, I've always heard it referred to as a "knee-across". So many different names for things! From: noshame lol, tis true, we wrestlers can never get our names straight. on a side note, the best coach i've ever seen, used what he called "the basic eight". these were 8 "movements" (as simple as the knee slide) that were used in many situations on the mat. this made it easier for him to coach and for us to understand. you are talking about the 7 (?) basic skills, while he taught the 8 basic movements. it seems like the two would work very well together for coaching principles. thanks for the ttt. no shame

From: Chip Cochran You're right, it sounds like they'd work great together. The seven basic skills (or maybe "principles") and the eight basic movements. Uh-oh, you realize that you've opened up a can worms right? Because now I want to know what his "Basic Eight" consists of! If you think you can find the time, I'm sure a lot of people on this forum (myself included) would love to hear about the Basic Eight. From: beev Basic Eight? Please enlighten the forum!!! Yours,
Beev From: Chip Cochran lol, ya see no shame? I told you that you opened up a whole can of worms here. I'm sorry, but you've brought this on yourself. Now you have to tell us about the Basic Eight. C'mon, spill the beans! >:-[

From: noshame lol, awright. i'll get on it. the basic eight is on it's way. a final addition to the knee-slide to show it's versatility. try using the knee slide when doing build-up drills. just get your chest off the mat (get on your elbows) and do a knee slide (using the inside knee) and you are built up. much less energy expended than pushing up to a ref's position. also, try it with a stand up. opponent is on top (ref's pos, left side). step out with your right foot to a tripod and shift your hips to the right (away from the opponent). he'll usually try to control your hips (PERFECT!!!). now, knee slide with your ouside knee and do an inside stand up. since he's trying to follow your hips to the right (as you tripod), it makes is damn dificult for him to change directions to follow as you move back to the left with the knee slide and stand-up. no shame From: Chip Cochran Hmmm, I've never even thought of using a knee slide to a hit a stand up like that before. Pretty sweet!