basic diet guidelines to follow

have a friend that wants me to help her out with a list on how to eat properly. There used to be a good thread, that I can't find right now, with some general guidelines to follow. Was gonna copy and paste it.

something like ...eat every 2-3 hours, eat breakfast, lot of vegetables/fruit, what kind of protein/carbs/fat to eat, etc....

or is someone can direct me to a good site.

thanks!

Whole grains, fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, lean meat, poultry, game and fish.

no I didn't, visit the UG thread again, except this time atually read it ;)

ttt

thanks Pride!

but I just want to give her something really basic and easy to follow. Don't know if a "bodybuilder" diet is for her. No idea what the video recommends but I will check that out...I've seen a bunch of Milos' videos, (I think at bodybuilding.com?)and they're great. knows his stuff.

I want something basic to give her, like...

eat every 2-3 hours, breakfast EXTREMELY important, little bit of protein with each meal, whole grain carbs, lot of raw veggies/fresh fruit, no processed food, lot of water...that type of thing, but more detailed. there used to be a great thread on the UG, can't find it now

Have her go to http://www.fitday.com/

I've lost 55lbs since Christmas by tracking my diet and doing Taku's intervals a few times a week.

From Berardi's 7 habits article:

www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do

1. Eat every 2-3 hours, no matter what. You should eat between 5-8 meals per day.

2. Eat complete (containing all the essential amino acids), lean protein with each meal.

3. Eat fruits and/or vegetables with each food meal.

4. Ensure that your carbohydrate intake comes from fruits and vegetables. Exception: workout and post-workout drinks and meals.

5. Ensure that 25-35% of your energy intake comes from fat, with your fat intake split equally between saturates (e.g. animal fat), monounsaturates (e.g., olive oil), and polyunsaturates (e.g. flax oil, salmon oil).

6. Drink only non-calorie containing beverages, the best choices being water and green tea.

7. Eat mostly whole foods (except workout and post-workout drinks).

Good guidelines hudd

Ryukyu Damashi, awesome work.

Gunnar is a RD/RN?

JB's guide is fair. Leaves a lot of room for individualization as the general habits set in.

Fitday is really neat. I went and set up an account for myself.

EDIT: this should be the correct link

http://www.mma.tv/TUF/index.cfm?ac=ListMessages&PID=1&TID=740672&FID=1

:)

Great thread. Thanks for the link cdc

cdc, that's it! thanks man!

I'm getting back into training now after 8 months off due to injuries and surgeries. I'm 33 now and finding it very difficult to get back into shape, I feel like I'm going to pass out every time I get onto the mat. I didn't think I was that unfit before making my come back.

So thanks to all for the links provided above, it saved me from creating a thread of my own.

Do Taku's intervals! I'm 32 and got in the best shape of my life this year.

Nutrition isn't nutrition, to paraphrase. Most bodybuilders get their nutrition from (among other things) shakes and various supplements, whereas other athletes like to get theirs from just foods. Getting a great diet together doesn't always have to mean picking up tubs of whey protein.

It looks interesting man, but it doesn't really appeal to me. I get my nutrition from fresh, raw organic produce, meats, etc. and it's working great for me! I tried all the protein powders and various supplements (in conjunction with a bodybuilder-style workout) and it just wasn't doing it for me. My point is, there isn't one definitive answer to this. There's no one guy (or one DVD) that has it perfect. You have to do what's best for you, and the demands you put on your body.

And can you tell us a little bit about macro nutrition while you're here? What exactly are you referring to? Even if I'm not down with it personally, I think a lot of us here would be interested in hearing a bit about it.

"6. Drink only non-calorie containing beverages, the best choices being water and green tea."

Why is that then? I've heard quite a few people take the complete opposite extreme and recommend drinking a gallon of milk a day, which contains a huge amount of calories.