basic diet guidelines to follow

"It looks interesting man, but it doesn't really appeal to me. I get my nutrition from fresh, raw organic produce, meats, etc. and it's working great for me!"

It's certainly possible that there are other approaches that work well. I don't see why eating 8 meals a day should be the only way.

"Why is that then? I've heard quite a few people take the complete opposite extreme and recommend drinking a gallon of milk a day, which contains a huge amount of calories."

Typically those doing this are looking to put on tons of size. Mark Rippetoe suggests this in his program Starting Strength.

I don't think drinking a gallon of milk would be considered a basic diet guideline :)

It all depends on your goals I guess

I do the Zone -- it's a very sensible, straight forward and simple program. I do it Mon-Fri and take the weekends off. On weekends I eat healthy, but don't measure anything and if I want to treat myself to something, I do it and don't worry. Doing this for about 6 weeks now, I leaned out quite a bit and am down 9lbs. I did it strictly for performance reasons, not aesthetic reasons, and am very pleased with being leaner and lighter and not losing any energy or strength that I've noticed.

Here's how I ate to drop about 35lbs or so... I exercised as well

• eat a small meal every 2-3 hours (Basically 6 meals a day)

• choose a palm sized portion of lean protein and a fist sized portion of good carbs in each meal

• add veggies to atleast 2 meals

• one serving of healthy fats

• Lots of water

FOOD LIST:

PROTEINS:

Chicken breast,
Turkey breast,
Lean ground turkey,
Salmon,
Tuna,
Shrimp,
Lean ground beef,