Be careful what you wish for. $15 an hour?

Behold McDonald's new automated cashiers. According to a variety of sources over on Reddit, the new machines are currently being tested and could soon roll out nationwide. The robots would presumably be quick, efficient, require new "green" and "teal" checkboxes on the employee diversity forms, and would never, ever, demand $15 per hour.

Contrary to what striking fast food workers may like to believe, McDonald's exits solely to turn a profit. It's not a charity, and it's not there to "provide" them with jobs. So, if it's facing a future where it's going to have to pay $15 an hour for completely unskilled labor, it's going to find a cheaper alternative.

That may be why McDonald's, and other fast food restaurants, have been using similar touchscreen systems throughout Europe for the last few years.

As I (and everyone else) predicted, increased pressure to hike the wages of easily replaceable fast food employees would end one of two ways: either McDonald's would be forced to raise its prices to unsustainable levels or the company would find a way to operate with less people. Since the former would destroy the business, the latter was always the obvious outcome.

http://www.caintv.com/mcdonalds-now-testing-automate

Yep. And there's another thread about that burger machine that can put out 400/hour.

"Necessity is the mother of invention" has never been more applicable.

Unfortunately, I see the end result being more dependency on government handouts as unemployment rises as a result of sweeping automation. Phone Post 3.0

Phone Post 3.0

Quicker then I thought it would happen.

Dirty Dick Slater - Behold McDonald's new automated cashiers. According to a variety of sources over on Reddit, the new machines are currently being tested and could soon roll out nationwide. The robots would presumably be quick, efficient, require new "green" and "teal" checkboxes on the employee diversity forms, and would never, ever, demand $15 per hour.

Contrary to what striking fast food workers may like to believe, McDonald's exits solely to turn a profit. It's not a charity, and it's not there to "provide" them with jobs. So, if it's facing a future where it's going to have to pay $15 an hour for completely unskilled labor, it's going to find a cheaper alternative.

That may be why McDonald's, and other fast food restaurants, have been using similar touchscreen systems throughout Europe for the last few years.

As I (and everyone else) predicted, increased pressure to hike the wages of easily replaceable fast food employees would end one of two ways: either McDonald's would be forced to raise its prices to unsustainable levels or the company would find a way to operate with less people. Since the former would destroy the business, the latter was always the obvious outcome.

Really retard ?

Im sure McDonald's will find out the hard way how well these machines will work around illiterate degenerates.Its not like this hasn't been tried before.Also removing minimum wage workers takes away money from their biggest customers.

They had these order kiosks on the Auraria Campus (Denver) several years ago. They were gloriously efficient.

The Drizzle - 
Dirty Dick Slater - Behold McDonald's new automated cashiers. According to a variety of sources over on Reddit, the new machines are currently being tested and could soon roll out nationwide. The robots would presumably be quick, efficient, require new "green" and "teal" checkboxes on the employee diversity forms, and would never, ever, demand $15 per hour.

Really retard ?

Herman Cain is a retard?

$15-hr for fast food work? Ridiculous Phone Post 3.0

this trend will continue.
result = more fucktards with no jobs that the government will support with our taxes.

These self-ordering kiosks have already been in use fora couple years at a lot of restaurants, including a bunch of Jack in the Box locations in SoCal.  The necessity wasn't actually wages, it was the labor pool that consists largely of high school dropouts, many of whom cannot speak either English or Spanish well enough to simply communicate with customers at the counter.  Taking the cashier out of the equation actually increases order accuracy and decreases labor costs, wins on both fronts for the business.

May west coast fast food restaurants also run their drive-thrus on a system where, when you arrive to place your order, instead of speaking with a person inside the store, you are communicating with someone from India, who is taking your order via cable internet.  Again, this has proven to be far less expensive than employing someone in-store, and the order accuracy in these stores is higher than when using local labor.

If labor wants to price themselves out, that's their own decision.

Can't wait until these come to Canada.

It will be a welcome change of pace to be served by a silent machine that never smiles. Just kidding. That's what it's like now.

Sogsteel - Im sure McDonald's will find out the hard way how well these machines will work around illiterate degenerates.Its not like this hasn't been tried before.Also removing minimum wage workers takes away money from their biggest customers.

Incorrect. They will do what is needed and fully test. I suspect the menu options will have pictures that go along with them.

This is similar to the idea of ordering pizza online. It will certainly cut down on the need for additional employees.

If I can spend a few grand on a machine that permanently cuts down on employees, makes fewer errors, and isn't a safety liability I will.

Do you think 1-800 numbers use automated systems because they like them? No, it's because roughly 60% of their customers use the automated system and significantly cuts down on the amount of people they must employ.

Downfall I see is that iff the machine breaks a part, it means the whole place closes down til the machine is back up.

Fuckim.jpg Phone Post 3.0

I dont believe these machines will be in use at every McDonalds at once but they will gradually increase. There are pros and cons for McD's as well as the economy. This will reduce the jobs available to unskilled workers severely which would, in theory, temporarily damage the economy until this people become skilled to be able to work on the machines that made them obsolete. Competition is always good and maybe this will make unskilled workers learn some type of trade which would keep our society developing and moving forward...or maybe this now obsolete fast food workers will claim unemployment for the next 40 years. Only time will tell. Phone Post 3.0

Shit out here in Colorado you can't find a job under $15. One of my friends girlfriend works at the Kum & Go and makes $15 for putting pizza in the oven and hot dogs on the rack.

RoyalRailer - $15-hr for fast food work? Ridiculous Phone Post 3.0
Really, $3/hr is too much. Phone Post 3.0

My cousin lives in Norway and when visiting for a birthday last week said that the same block of butter we usually get at the grocery store for less than $4 is at least $15. Milk and meat are outrageous - as are vegetables...

But don't worry: the minimum wage averages about $15 an hour.