Beach Vacation with BJJ

I am looking for a sunny sandy vacation spot where my wife can happily hang out safely on a beach and I can sneak in some training.

We are Canadian if that makes a difference.

Obvious answer would be Brazil, but I am open to Costa Rica or other such destinations. The wife is not stoked about Brazil. Some sort of all inclusive resort would be the tits.

Anyone know more than google could tell me with the 10 minutes of research I threw at this? Phone Post

^well, the mendes bros are opening up a school in newport beach, ca and they will be at andre's at san diego for a few months.

http://www.brazilianjiujitsu.com.au/Dojos/Bondi%20Beach.aspx

Mark Stables in Playa del Carmen. He's Canadian, a first degree Carlson Gracie Team black belt under 8th degree Carlson black belt Marcus Soares, and he's in Playa.

I'm here visiting him right now. The beach is beautiful, the weather is fantastic, there are all-inclusives all over the place (or not, if you want to make your own holiday), it's cheap and easy to get here (direct flights to Cancun airport, 40 minutes north of Playa, from every major Canadian city), and as a black belt Mark is as legit as they come.

In addition to training with Mark, I've done shopping, had some great food, had a squirrel monkey climb all over my head, hung out on the beach, and am learning to scuba dive. (Should be certified tomorrow.) It's been definitely the cheapest and one of the most enjoyable vacations I've ever had.

PM me if you want his contact info.

south florida or southern cali

Cabarete, Dominican Republic.

Yamasaki BB Tomas 'Papo' Soñé is head instructor, your truly is a brown.

Forum members Graugart and Delicious Bass can vouch for our awesomeness :)

There are yoga classes, trapeze/circus classes, capoeira classes annd a gym where we train.

Also kiteboarding, windsurfing and surfing nearby.

And we're right on the beach.

Good estaurants, bars and nightlife!

your mrs.mwill have fun, and you'll get to train. :)

joe canada - Cabarete, Dominican Republic.

There are yoga classes, trapeze/circus classes, capoeira classes annd a gym where we train.

I was just going to mention from another thread that one of the UG's own has a place in the DR... Kept it in mind for my own family vaca suggestion.

Carne el Pollo -  I am looking for a sunny sandy vacation spot where my wife can happily hang out safely on a beach and I can sneak in some training.

We are Canadian if that makes a difference.

Obvious answer would be Brazil, but I am open to Costa Rica or other such destinations. The wife is not stoked about Brazil. Some sort of all inclusive resort would be the tits.

Anyone know more than google could tell me with the 10 minutes of research I threw at this? Phone Post

You're stuck on going overseas?

http://fightersretreat.com/

http://www.maurosergiobjj.com/

There you go, Costa Rica.

joe canada - Cabarete, Dominican Republic.

Website info?

Be honest, how shitty is the dominican republic?

You can go to Bali, Indonesia BB's niko Han who is a great coach and really cool guy. Also Paulo Tavares under royler gracie are there. Phone Post

Btw, I went to Bali on my honeymoon and there are some beautiful villa/resorts right on the beach. Beautiful culture and epic beaches plus the locals are super friendly. Never felt once sketched out while there even at night time. I never saw cops carrying guns there just batons and knives.

I got the chance to train with niko, him and his guys were all super cool and very welcoming as they get a lot of travelers stopping by. Phone Post

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa, San Clemente Calif.

I have been to the Dominican and trained with Joe Canada at his club.  Great vaccation and great training!

trianglegrrl - Mark Stables in Playa del Carmen. He's Canadian, a first degree Carlson Gracie Team black belt under 8th degree Carlson black belt Marcus Soares, and he's in Playa.

I'm here visiting him right now. The beach is beautiful, the weather is fantastic, there are all-inclusives all over the place (or not, if you want to make your own holiday), it's cheap and easy to get here (direct flights to Cancun airport, 40 minutes north of Playa, from every major Canadian city), and as a black belt Mark is as legit as they come.

In addition to training with Mark, I've done shopping, had some great food, had a squirrel monkey climb all over my head, hung out on the beach, and am learning to scuba dive. (Should be certified tomorrow.) It's been definitely the cheapest and one of the most enjoyable vacations I've ever had.

PM me if you want his contact info.

wow! he opened a school in cancun??? that's awesome

12SixElbow - 
 Website info?
Be honest, how shitty is the dominican republic?

LOL

Website: http://bjjcabarete.com/ Please note: I didn't do the text for this website, so go easy on the mocking!

On a shitty scale, it would depend on where you are in the DR. Cabarete is a windsurf and kiteboard mecca, so you have a large community of young, sporty ex-pats. Which makes for a great nightlife. Lots of cool bars, good restaurants, nice beach. It's a great place to visit.

Add Xader to the list of visitors from the UG. Also Frank Trigg and UFC fighter Claude Patrick. Alex Garcia was a student of ours before moving to Canada and hooking up with GSP's crew.

So, yeah, training is good, and your wife will have lots to do while you get your roll on.

Hey Joe,

I am interested in vacationing and training at your academy around April. Is that a good time to come? I'm also kind of on a budget and can't spend a fortune. How much cash do you think I would need for a 5 day stay including hotel? Not looking to do much but train and enjoy the beach and drink a little.

SPD:

April is great, providing you don't come during Easter week, which is when all the hotels are full and expensive.

PM me and we can talk prices etc: I don't want to fall afoul of the UG 'no advertising' policy :)

Ft. Lauderdale, FLA. Popovich, ATT, Avellans not too far away. I always have fun there. Don't know of any all inclusive place there, but still a great place to be.

Thanks! Have to add you as a friend to pm.

joecanada AT hotmail DOT com

Make sure to let me know here when you email, because I only use that account as a spam trap and never check it (unless I know there's something there)