Became Boss of Fool

Dude I manage can't sign his name to work. His drafting also sucks. He's a nice kid, and I'm not a total douche.

The result is that I am professionally responsible for 140% more work. Even if the kid puts out great stuff, I'm on the hook.

Unfortunately, he blows. I spend time fixing every line of his papers. I also have to hand-hold him as a manager. He replaces a colleague I brought in who was competent, but I still held additional responsibilities over.

At 2 years in, I make double what this guy makes, and will likely make more in a couple months.

Burn crap subordinate or not?

Reality check for sure.

Anytime something must occur, I'm the one who must professionally represent, as one colleague cannot hold my position, and another is six months out. We're talking everything from letters to appearances to trial.

I'm like a broke-ass version of Harvey Specter, as I'm dealing with a fake attorney and an unadmitted jd.

To the top for opinions.

Feed him to the crows. Aint nobody got time to do two jobs at once. Phone Post 3.0

Is this not the point when as a supervisor you fire said bad employee? Do you work government or something?

If someone that works for you makes more work for you, you must terminate their employment. It sucks, and you will feel bad, but this isn't the "everyone gets a trophy" tee-ball league. This is big boy time. If you can't hack it, you're out.

Firing people is my least favorite part of being a manager, but being able to pull the trigger when needed is a very important ability to have. I used to suck at it, now I'm OK, but still let some people slide a little too long, but I'm getting better about it. Everytime I fire a well intentioned, underperformer it makes me feel bad for a bit, then I quickly realize that the workplace is better for it, and it helps make the pain go away.

Good luck.

If I fired every bad employee, it truly would be a feast for crows.

Unfortunately, while I bear responsibility, I don't have hiring or firing powers. They brought this guy in to save money, so a quality replacement takes money out of my pocket on a scheduled raise.

I can get the dude fired by throwing him under the bus with the powers that be. His replacement might be worse. If I had another year in, I'd be out. Even though I'm highly in demand, I don't have the experience requisite for my own practice, and a new job doubles my hours for 25% more money.

All of my predecessors left and opened their own firms. They are all successful.

I have a number of decisions to make, and none are easy. Thanks for the opinions.

Ghost of Corvelay - If I fired every bad employee, it truly would be a feast for crows.

Unfortunately, while I bear responsibility, I don't have hiring or firing powers. They brought this guy in to save money, so a quality replacement takes money out of my pocket on a scheduled raise.

I can get the dude fired by throwing him under the bus with the powers that be. His replacement might be worse. If I had another year in, I'd be out. Even though I'm highly in demand, I don't have the experience requisite for my own practice, and a new job doubles my hours for 25% more money.

All of my predecessors left and opened their own firms. They are all successful.

I have a number of decisions to make, and none are easy. Thanks for the opinions.

Your scheduled raise ain't gonna happen if you are deemed to have an underperforming department due to this guy dragging you down.

Sounds like you are a bit concerned with office politics as well. It sounds like a tricky situation, but essentially you have two choices. Take action and find a way to remove him from his position, or bend over and take it. IF you think just waiting it out might be your best bet, well, if that's the case just lube up.

I've given numerous sample documents and specific instructions on all assignments. I want him to succeed, because he should be helping my with both work and my bargaining power. The work product is not up to par, and it should be pretty easy to make common sense decisions and parrot prior drafts.

Common sense doesn't exist. I have found relying on people to make even to simplest of decisions will lead to mountains of fuck ups. Then again, I'm working with entry level laborers starting at $10/hr. I've had guys come in that could not count to four. No bullshit, four. While you should have higher expectations working in a law office, I would suggest that you reevaluate your expectations, especially in regard to the decision making ability of others.

Sounds like almost everyone at my company, above and below me.

I'm unable to go into material specifics, but basic drafting can be appreciated without much context.

Dude hands in papers with incomplete sentences, inconsistency issues, and general gibberish.

Recent examples being having a 2 page document spill over to a one line 3rd page (happens every time, despite correction), and writing about a thirty year practicing dentist by stating "Dr. Doe has did dentistry for over 30 years." On both examples provided, I feel like I'm being real life trolled.

Call one of your successful predessessors with their own practice, you know, the one you aspire to be.

See if they want to hire your fuckup subordinate.

Their reply should speak volumes, and tell you a lot about yourself. Phone Post 3.0

oioisavvy - Call one of your successful predessessors with their own practice, you know, the one you aspire to be.

See if they want to hire your fuckup subordinate.

Their reply should speak volumes, and tell you a lot about yourself. Phone Post 3.0

I refer employees to the older guys who own their own businesses. We speak every week. We agree that this particular relationship won't last, but for different reasons. They say he looks too timid for the industry, and don't have the benefit of review of work product.

My predecessors existing outside is writing on the wall that true growth will come outside my current employer. There is no up, only out. I'm saving more than 50% of my income so I have the freedom to leave. The biggest hold up is SEO. It is too expensive and means I need quality partners. I'm going to spend the next year building relationships.

Dude sounds just like Morty from Rick and Mordy. Nobody will ever buy the shit he's selling.

I'm cleaning up messes like a Haitain home health aide.

I gotta take my own advice.