Becoming a Police Officer. TME

Well, attempting to become a police officer. The academy is tentatively scheduled for January but with all this corona stuff...who knows. 

Any advice for me regarding the academy/hiring process/what to expect in general? 

I’m in relatively good shape; and have been running every day in addition to pushups and sit ups. Waiting for my local bjj facility to re-open and I’ll be there as much as possible too. 

Thanks in advance boys!

If you come to confiscate my weapons, I'm going to shoot you in the face.

Otherwise, good luck with the career. I got halfway through the Miramar College AJ program before I said, "These people are fucking retarded" and switched to business management. Have never regretted not becoming a cop.

3 Likes

Good luck, young man.

2 Likes

Good luck. Enjoy the career and be good. 

2 Likes

Good luck and dont get fat and sloppy

2 Likes

AnthonyWeiner - If you come to confiscate my weapons, I'm going to shoot you in the face.

Otherwise, good luck with the career. I got halfway through the Miramar College AJ program before I said, "These people are fucking retarded" and switched to business management. Have never regretted not becoming a cop.

This thread is meant to give me advice, not insult/threaten police. So take your agenda driven police hating bullshit and fuck off. 

6 Likes

Tmaguru -

Depending on where you are you are going to become a race realist very quickly. 

New Jersey. Definitely going to be dealing with all walks of life here. 

NiteProwleR -

Good luck and dont get fat and sloppy

Thank you sir I’ll try my best.

1 Like
Captain Canuck -

Good luck. Enjoy the career and be good. 

Do good. 

be strong. 

fear nothing. 

2 Likes

If you hang out with Mahoney, expect wacky hijinks!

Also, 

The Blue Oyster has the seafood in town. Free Tango lessons 7 nights a week!

1 Like

Steppappyjosh -

Take a big black cock stick it in your mouth suck on it until it vomits future felony cases in your mouth. Kill yourself. Thats a cop. 

??

TheReflectionOfPerfection -
AnthonyWeiner - If you come to confiscate my weapons, I'm going to shoot you in the face.

This thread is meant to give me advice, not insult/threaten police. So take your agenda driven police hating bullshit and fuck off. 

L o fucking L....

I know everyone is tight on paper products right now but I have a tissue for you if you need one...

2 Likes

Everyone I knew who trained who went through the academy told me that you're not "helping" if you show up or correct the defensive tactics instructor. 

Academy is a job, treat it like one.

I really enjoyed it but it was tough. You will watch a few people go a little nuts.

Best piece of advice I got was don't let the job take the most important thing from you, and that's yourself and why you wanted to be there.

1 Like

My best advice is to learn to leave calls behind when you are done with them. 

2 Likes

Mountain Medic -

Academy is a job, treat it like one.

I really enjoyed it but it was tough. You will watch a few people go a little nuts.

Best piece of advice I got was don't let the job take the most important thing from you, and that's yourself and why you wanted to be there.

Excellent advice. Thank you sir. 

Tmaguru -
Tmaguru -

Bro.

Make sure you get a therapist early.   This is a life long thing.  It doesn't make you weak minded it will help give you the mental tools you will need to deal with bad stuff that sticks in your memory. 

My buddies first day as a Marta cop he saw a gang banger shoot his girlfriend in the face.   You dont have to be an old grizzled vet to see terrible things.

Take care of your mind as well as you take care of your body.  I wish you the best of luck.  We really need more competent and decent humans as police officers. 

Good post.

Phone books dont leave bruises!

1 Like

Tmaguru -
Tmaguru -

Bro.

Make sure you get a therapist early.   This is a life long thing.  It doesn't make you weak minded it will help give you the mental tools you will need to deal with bad stuff that sticks in your memory. 

My buddies first day as a Marta cop he saw a gang banger shoot his girlfriend in the face.   You dont have to be an old grizzled vet to see terrible things.

Take care of your mind as well as you take care of your body.  I wish you the best of luck.  We really need more competent and decent humans as police officers. 

Definitely something I’ll be considering. Thank you. 

I had an absolute crazy great/horrible career depending on which way you choose to look at it.

Things just used to fall in my lap. There could be 30 or 40 officers working throughout the city and I would catch all the good stuff..or bad stuff.

During my career I was on Court Tv, Forensic Files, CNN (twice), and episode of Snapped. I have one unsolved homicide that was a true crime pod cast at one point.

When I started working homicide, I never wanted to go anywhere else but I was voluntold that I had to go up. I retired as 1 of 4 Asst Chiefs.

When I was a young officer, I just couldn't understand why the administration did the things they did and used to think they were out of touch as they sat in their office all day not knowing what it was like to be on the street.

Well, I certainly hadn't forgotten what it was like on the street and loved it but when you get in that position, (my position) you no longer did what was best for the officer you did what was best for

The City
The Department
The division
The officer

In that order.

When you become a police officer, you wake up every morning and make the conscious decision on whether or not you are going to be a fucking asshole, corrupt, lazy, abusive type of cop. If you do, you will eventually get weeded out.

I had to physically put my hands on 5 people in 30 years. Sometimes you just can't help it but IMO, your attitude, your demeanor, your confidence level and your communication skills can defuse 95% of all potential situations.

IMO, if you choose to go with law enforcement, you should spend your time in patrol soaking up as much info as you can. Just keep your mouth shut and learn. After you've done your time, try to figure out your plan.

Which path do you want to take as you advance through your career? Do you want to stay in patrol and advance up? Do you want to go over to investigations? Do you want to transfer to some special type of work...air unit, motorcycle, Horses?

The whole plan is to get in, find something interesting that makes the years go by faster and get out on the fist day that you are eligible for retirement.

**As someone mentioned above about showing up the DT instructors....That will most likely NEVER happen no matter your training or at least I never saw it. I taught DT to the academy and my department for 10-12 years and there was always 1 or 2 guys who wanted to "Try" the instructors and they were always embarrassed by the ens of the day. Just keep your mouth shut and don't ever volunteer for anything.

7 Likes