Beer gurus please help

Last year I received a gift of beer and it included a paulaner Oktoberfest. It sat in my fridge because I just didn't think I'd like it. I finally opened it an found it to be one if the best beers I had ever had.

The problem now is that I cAnt find it in Canada. Does anyone know of some beer I can try that will similar? I tried a paulaner hefe? That I didn't care for much if that helps.

Any help would be appreciated! Phone Post

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/29

If you liked that, just about any German Oktoberfest/Marzen beer might be worth a try. A lot of breweries will be releasing their seasonals very soon, if not already, so there should be some stuff out on shelves if you look.

A bit on the lighter side appearance-wise, but Helles beers are considered a related style to the Marzen beers and might be worth trying if you're feeling adventurous.

Cheers

Hefeweizens are wheat beers, typically lighter in body and with spiced notes from the yeast and are very different than Oktoberfests, which use a different type of yeast and are also more toasty and nutty in flavor.

Look for something else that says oktoberfest or "Marzen". Not sure where you are in Canada or what the availability is but here are some good and/or widely available Oktoberfests you might start with trying to look for.

You could always try checking out ratebeer.com. They have local forums so somebody in a similar part of CA would surely be able to direct you better as to whats available in your area. Good luck!

Hofbräu München Oktoberfestbier
Ayinger Oktober Fest-Märzen
Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest Märzen
Leinenkugels Oktoberfest
Flying Dog Dogtoberfest
Samuel Adams Octoberfest
Surly SurlyFest
Surly Brewing Company
Brauerei Aying
Erie Brewing Fallenbock
Erie Brewing Company
Highland Clawhammer Oktoberfest
Three Floyds MunsterFest
Great Lakes Oktoberfest
Great Lakes Brewing Company
New Glarus Staghorn Octoberfest Beer
New Glarus Brewing Company
Dundee Oktoberfest
Grand Teton Fest Bier
Spaten Oktoberfest Ur-Märzen
Gordon Biersch Märzen
Boulevard Bob’s ’47 Oktoberfest
Boulevard Brewing Company

Get the Spaten Optimator.

Then hang on.

The only beer is Hercules Double IPA. :) Phone Post 3.0

sparkyman - 

Last year I received a gift of beer and it included a paulaner Oktoberfest. It sat in my fridge because I just didn't think I'd like it. I finally opened it an found it to be one if the best beers I had ever had.

The problem now is that I cAnt find it in Canada. Does anyone know of some beer I can try that will similar? I tried a paulaner hefe? That I didn't care for much if that helps.

Any help would be appreciated! Phone Post

I just picked up a case from the Costco down the street from my house. Haven't tried it yet, but Hofbrau Oktoberfest is one of my all time favorite beers, so I have high expectations of Paulaner

Thanks for the recommendations so far. I'm going to investigate all of them.

If any one else wants to add any, feel free!

BTW, I am so jealous of you Americans with your cheap booze! I bought two bottles of Scotch in Costco in LA for less than one of those same bottles here in Canada.

Don't get me started on Wine prices!