Beginner rifle tips wanted

Bought my first hunting rifle last November. I have had pistols and shotguns and have a 10/22 but this is my first hunting rifle with an optic and I am looking for some tips. It has been to the range twice and I am hunting in October for the first time. First time at the range I just fired it. Didn't sight it in or anything. Last time I had it sighted in, shooting great little groups, but then the rings came loose. FML. Had Bass Pro Shops bore sight it and torque the rings properly and I am planning on an hour of range time tomorrow. 

I know the process of sighting it in so not really looking for tips there but I am looking for generaly beginner marksman advice. I know there is a huge thread on precision long rifles but I am looking for basic beginner tips. The range tomorrow is a climate controlled indoor 100 yd range. I figure this would not be a bad way to sight in the rifle. I plan on shooting it a few more times before the hunt, tomorrow is my first trip with everything in place. 

The rifle is a Ruger American 30-06. I have a bunch of 150 grain Winchester white box to get it on paper and practice with and some nice Hornady 165gr I will make sure it is sighted in with before I leave (I will be hunting with the 165 but want to eat up this 150 as I will probably never sight it in with 150 again). The optic is a Nikon Buckmaster BDC 3-9X40. Nothing crazy but I see no reason it won't get the job done. 

Anyway, heading to the range tomorrow and need a few tips. Any are appreciated. 

Trigger control.

Print out you bcad info on a card and laminate.

Steady rest.

HERE IS A RIFLE TIP FOR YOU.........IT WORKS GREAT FOR BEGINNERS.........

ruger007 - Trigger control.

Print out you bcad info on a card and laminate.

Steady rest.

What is bcad?

You should practice with your 10/22. Look up Appleseed (marksmanship program). It teaches basic marksmanship skills which will then translate to your hunting rifle. Phone Post 3.0

shooting stick tripods come in handy. when you do find your game, a good rest like a downed tree or whatever isn't always available. worth it imo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shooting-stick-Hunting-shooting-stand-Gun-rest-Shooting-Tripod-Bipod-/121749148005

Shooting stick, Hunting shooting stand, Gun rest, Shooting Tripod / Bipod

Auto correct, Nikon bcd point of impact. They have free soft ware for it.

Make sure you get a 30 caliber magazine

Any tips for the range inparticular? I have a heavy sandbag rest thing. I also bought a limbsaver as I destroyed my arm after shooting for like 5 hours last time I took it out. I mean, holy shit it hurt. I will look into the shooting sticks too, any reason to not just get a bipod? I also have read that there are ways to use your sling to stabalize your shot. I bought one but it is the wrong kind so need another one. 

I guess what I am saying is that this is more about technique than gear. I do appreciate the gear suggestions but need all of the range advice I can get so I get the most mileage out of the small amount of time I have to get ready for my hunt. I don't want to injure a dear, I want to shoot it dead. I don't want to be the guy who misses. 

Vote ups for all who have offered real advice. 

OutlawJW - You should practice with your 10/22. Look up Appleseed (marksmanship program). It teaches basic marksmanship skills which will then translate to your hunting rifle. Phone Post 3.0
Only issue with this is that I don't have a optic for it. Phone Post 3.0

Phuckles -
OutlawJW - You should practice with your 10/22. Look up Appleseed (marksmanship program). It teaches basic marksmanship skills which will then translate to your hunting rifle. Phone Post 3.0
I would recommend getting a cheap 4x scope for your 10/22 (Simmons/Bushnell). You could probably get a base, rings, and the scope for $40.

Practicing with your .22 is a lot less expensive and less painful off the bench.

Appleseed will teach you to shoot from field positions (standing, seated, and prone) which are better skills to have for hunting. You will be better served by these than shooting over sandbags on a bench.

If your range doesn't allow field position shooting, then shoot off the bench only using your elbows and get a G.I. Sling if you can. It's better to practice proper breathing, trigger control, NPOA, lots of dry firing, etc.

Your goal is to keep all shots within a 1 in. square/circle at 25 yards. If you can do this without using a rest you have achieved a reasonable amount of accuracy.

I also recommend attending an actual Appleseed event, it's 2 days of training. Phone Post 3.0

OutlawJW -
Phuckles -
I would recommend getting a cheap 4x scope for your 10/22 (Simmons/Bushnell). You could probably get a base, rings, and the scope for $40.

Practicing with your .22 is a lot less expensive and less painful off the bench.

Appleseed will teach you to shoot from field positions (standing, seated, and prone) which are better skills to have for hunting. You will be better served by these than shooting over sandbags on a bench.

If your range doesn't allow field position shooting, then shoot off the bench only using your elbows and get a G.I. Sling if you can. It's better to practice proper breathing, trigger control, NPOA, lots of dry firing, etc.

Your goal is to keep all shots within a 1 in. square/circle at 25 yards. If you can do this without using a rest you have achieved a reasonable amount of accuracy.

I also recommend attending an actual Appleseed event, it's 2 days of training. Phone Post 3.0
Beat me to it. Appleseed is awesome! For the beginner it's a major learning boost. Their teaching style usually makes it easy to learn unless you have a particularly lame instructor.

I plan to take my oldest son by EOY Phone Post 3.0

Not sure if I have time for Appleseed. I hunt in a month, I will be at the range this afternoon.

Quick tips? Phone Post 3.0

Pull the trigger straight to the rear Phone Post 3.0

Jedburgh1 - Pull the trigger straight to the rear Phone Post 3.0
Will do! Phone Post 3.0