Being promoted in one hour... Nervous

I'm meeting my boss at 8am CST today to receive my offer letter for a new management position that was created for me. Today is the biggest day of my career, and I'm pumped. I worked my ass off for this promotion, and I love what I do so I'm very proud right now.

On the downside I'll be going hourly to salary and I've made a killing the past 4 years on overtime. I'm expecting a pay cut, but I don't know how much I'm looking at yet. My boss told me Saturday they got me a very good offer from corporate so we'll see.

Thoughts and prayers OG, thoughts and prayers! I'll update here in a bit.

10 Likes

Hope it works for you. I backtracked on the hourly to salary thing after 2 years. I was making $10k less a year with twice the responsibility. I hope it works better for you.

2 Likes

The cut in pay will suck, but might be alleviated to a degree by not working all those hours. First year i switched from hourly to salary I lost 18k (mostly due to no more OT). I didn't regret it a bit.

I don't consider less money a promotion but as long as you're happy. Congratulations.

I guess that means the only under the desk BJs you can afford will be from the wife. Sorry about that......

MoreThanUFC - Hope it works for you. I backtracked on the hourly to salary thing after 2 years. I was making $10k less a year with twice the responsibility. I hope it works better for you.

I hear you there. Every manager here goes through the same thing when they get promoted. We just make small fortunes off the overtime and it's hard to match. I've been charging 80-100 hours a week for 4 years, just to be on call, I always knew that wouldn't last. 

This is a great step though. I work whatever hours I want from anywhere I want, I'll have a team under me to do my bidding, I can finally use the 4 weeks vacation a year without losing OT, and after a couple years I'll be making the same great money I was.

Still.... I'm going to miss those giant paychecks for sure.

1 Like

Congrats

Where I worked, if you went from hourly to salary, that meant you were an exempted employee meaning, they could make you work all the overtime they wanted and you didn't get paid for it.

Congrats but read the fine print.

2 Likes
TFK_Kaneman82 - 

I'm meeting my boss at 8am CST today to receive my offer letter for a new management position that was created for me. Today is the biggest day of my career, and I'm pumped. I worked my ass off for this promotion, and I love what I do so I'm very proud right now.

On the downside I'll be going hourly to salary and I've made a killing the past 4 years on overtime. I'm expecting a pay cut, but I don't know how much I'm looking at yet. My boss told me Saturday they got me a very good offer from corporate so we'll see.

Thoughts and prayers OG, thoughts and prayers! I'll update here in a bit.

Congrats, I am sure it is well deserved. I love hearing about personal success.

Everyone, please welcome the new assistant to the regional manager! 

Congratulations!

Congrats

Any chance of bonuses making up for the loss in OT

Congrats. & yeah, usually the extra bonus money makes up for the OT you lose. 

So less money and by the time they are done, the same hours. Salary doesn't mean you don't work overtime... it just means they won't be paying you for it. They created a position "just for you" which means they can redefine it to include whatever responsibilities they want and now you'll feel pressure to comply... you may even think it is your idea, Company-man! They're pissing on you and telling you its rain.

I mean... congrats!

2 Likes
Icy Mike -

So less money and by the time they are done, the same hours. Salary doesn't mean you don't work overtime... it just means they won't be paying you for it. They created a position "just for you" which means they can redefine it to include whatever responsibilities they want and now you'll feel pressure to comply... you may even think it is your idea, Company-man! They're pissing on you and telling you its rain.

I mean... congrats!

Lol no. 

He will make his own schedule, he has a team to delegate to. As long as he learns to delegate and prioritize properly he will work a normal workweek which he obviously hasn't been doing for years. 

Working 80-100 hours a week to get ahead is a short term strategy.

Icy Mike -

I mean... congrats!

Not the case at all. I will work less hours for sure, because I'll have a team of 3 doing the same work I've been doing for 4 years. My company is awesome and has always taken good care of me. Speaking of...

Holy shit....they took really good care of me and I'm pumped. $20k signing bonus called a "soft landing" to help with the hourly to salary transition, paid this Friday. 18% monthly bonus paid every other check. 20% yearly bonus. The bumped me up 2 grade levels to a "G12" which means yearly raises will be better. Instead of being maxed out where I was, I'm now at the bottom with tons of room to climb, and the ability to transfer anywhere in the world without losing any pay. 

End of the day, I'll be bringing home right around the same amount yearly for the first year, then more and more after that. Goddamn this is a great day.

7 Likes

congrats!

Congrats man, sounds pretty awesome. 

On your way home, you should slap a homeless guy across the face with a stack of Benjamins.

TFK_Kaneman82 - 
Icy Mike -

I mean... congrats!

Not the case at all. I will work less hours for sure, because I'll have a team of 3 doing the same work I've been doing for 4 years. My company is awesome and has always taken good care of me. Speaking of...

Holy shit....they took really good care of me and I'm pumped. $20k signing bonus called a "soft landing" to help with the hourly to salary transition, paid this Friday. 18% monthly bonus paid every other check. 20% yearly bonus. The bumped me up 2 grade levels to a "G12" which means yearly raises will be better. Instead of being maxed out where I was, I'm now at the bottom with tons of room to climb, and the ability to transfer anywhere in the world without losing any pay. 

End of the day, I'll be bringing home right around the same amount yearly for the first year, then more and more after that. Goddamn this is a great day.

Congratulations!!

Always good to hear someone coming out on top after busting their ass for years.

Enjoy the ride, and never forget what it was like to be the little guy busting his ass on the way up. Recognize those people if you can...