Being Ruthless

When I first started fighting my only thought was to kill before killed myself.
Latly though I really don't want to hurt the other person...well unless they are assholes. I used to strike to start out, once I broke a wrestlers arm with a round house kick. Now I wont throw it cuz I'm scared I'll do it again.

Is there a simple way to become less civilized and get back that killer instinct back?

dominate8,

Mr. Blauer is very busy and away doing seminars at the moment. As a fellow Martial Artist and PDR Coach in training allow me to make a few observations.

First, I would congratulate you on your expanded awareness with regards to injuring another human being. In almost all courts of law, (Tony mentions this in his Cerebral Self-Defense audiotape) the force you use must parallel the danger you are in. As I am sure you understand, it's pretty easy to cross the line between defender and aggressor, especially in the eyes of the law. As part of your research as a practitioner of the Martial Ways, you need to be aware of the local laws in your area.

Got any friends who are Law Enforcement officers? They are highly trained and well schooled in the use of force. They have a different directive than you as a civilian would, but they can offer invaluable insight into this question. You might also seek advice from a good lawyer.

On a more philosophical level, I am sure you want to defend yourself against, (to use your term), the asshole without BECOMING the asshole. There is an important difference between becoming 'soft' and becoming 'smart'.

As you ponder the difference, it may be helpful for you to compose what Mr. Blauer calls a 'wish list'. On this list you list all the important people, places and things in your life. You use this list as a call to action should you ever find yourself in a violent confrontation where you need defend yourself. Imagine all the precious things you will lose if you give up.

This is part of Mr. Blauer's "Be Your Own Bodyguard" principle which he put together back in 1987. It is very powerful concept and worthy of further study and introspection on your part.

Finally, Mr. Blauer emphasizes over and over, (until some of us thick skulled types actually get it) that the scenario dictates your action. While it may be appropriate to eye gouge an attacker who tries to shove you off a bridge, it would be wrong to eye gouge your brother for shoving you out of the bathroom. A shove is a shove, but the scenario dictates what your response will be.

This is the difference between attack specific and scenario specific training. Again, force must parallel danger.

If you want more information, I would highly recommend the "Cerebal Self Defense" audio available through Tony's website. For the price of a few beers you can learn from one of the true pioneers in the field of self-protection, Tony Blauer. It will give you a way to call upon that killer instinct should you need it, but perhaps more importantly help you decide (provided you actually do the work prescribed) when you would need it.

I've been studying various combat sports and martial arts for over 32 years and believe me, Tony is the man.

Hope that helped,

Mike

Taroson, you addressed that very sensitive question far better than I had imagined it could be addressed. I've clipped your response into my file.

Best with your PDR certification.

IM

ironmongoose,

Thank you for the encouragement. Tony's material has helped me in so many ways...

Stay on the path Iron!

Regards,

Mike