Belfort Injured; replaced by Nate for UFC 122

Report: Vitor Belfort injured, replaced by Nate Marquardt at UFC 122 against Yushin Okami

Tomcat_tiny by Jesse Holland

Not again.

Vitor Belfort has reportedly suffered an undisclosed injury and has been forced to withdraw from his UFC 122 "title eliminator" fight against Yushin Okami on Nov. 13 in Oberhausen, Germany, according to MMA Weekly.

Stepping in for "The Phenom" will be former division number one contender Nate Marquardt, who will now face "Thunder" in the main event of the Spike TV telecast after a "Great" performance against Rousimar Palhares at UFC Fight Night 22 earlier this month.

Opportunity once again came knocking, thanks largely in part to a dreadful year for the hard-hitting Brazilian.

After a lingering shoulder injury became too much to bear, Belfort pulled out of his UFC 112 middleweight title fight against reigning division champion Anderson Silva at the Concert Arena from Ferrari World, Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, back on April 10.

Star-divide

It was the second time his bout with "The Spider" was postponed. They were initially penciled in to collide at UFC 108 earlier this year; however, minor elbow surgery for Silva postponed the all-Brazilian brawl until Spring.

Perhaps it wasn't (or isn't) meant to be -- Belfort has yet to make his middleweight debut and hasn't seen the inside of the Octagon since a first round destruction of former division champion Rich Franklin in a 195-pound catchweight fight back at UFC 103 on Sept. 19, 2009.

At this time, the UFC has yet to make an official announcement regarding any changes to the Nov. 13 line-up; however, that hasn't stopped Internet conspiracy theorists from somehow tying this into Chael Sonnen's recent drug bust at the hands of the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC).

With a year long suspension likely awaiting the mouthy ex-politician, Anderson Silva will be left without an opponent for early 2011. UFC 122: "Belfort vs. Okami" was supposed to provide the next top contender, but now the promotion may once again shuffle the deck depending on the timeline for Belfort's return.

Bottom line?

Either Nate Marquardt or Yushin Okami are likely to leave Oberhausen with first dibs on the middleweight strap. But who will be wearing it by the time they get there? That remains to be seen.

im i not the only one that thinks this is obviously the UFC moving belfort to replace sonnen in a title fight against silva? Phone Post

That's what I thought b4 as well.  But now they are saying that Belfort is injured, why lie about an injury?

At this point, I'll be surprised if I ever see Belfort fight again.

kingbisping -  im i not the only one that thinks this is obviously the UFC discriminating against Okami? Phone Post
No.  He already beat Anderson once.

Not again Victor :/

DukeIsh - At this point, I'll be surprised if I ever see Belfort fight again.

oh you will......... against anderson.

shocking! not gonna lie,im somewhat happy,coz i wanted Vitor vs Andy the whole time.and i didnt want either Vitor or Okami to lose.i wanted both of them to get a shot at Andy

I'm skeptical.

A schedule shuffle seems more likely.  Vitor would have 8 weeks of camp in front of him, how hard could he have been training at the moment?

You got to be fucking kidding me!

In for Belfort vs. Anderson

Why the conspiracy theory that they're covering up a vitor/silva fight now with an injury to vitor to pull him out of the okami fight?  Obviously people would know he's not injured then and  isn't the point of a conspiracy that it won't be figured out?

Vitor has a bad record against wrestlers and Okami would pose a bad matchup..

Why not pull out and get in front of Silva (which is more favorable matchup).

Chael seems to be removed from the pic for a while...

No injury...Just strategy

You conspiracy theorists crack me up.  Likely that Vitor hurt himself yet again as he's done many times (i.e. before the previously scheduled fight with Anderson).  I have no problem with the Nate/Yushin winner getting the title shot.  Can't wait.

JDV-Why the conspiracy theory that they're covering up a vitor/silva fight now with an injury to vitor to pull him out of the okami fight?  Obviously people would know he's not injured then and  isn't the point of a conspiracy that it won't be figured out?
 Not a conspiracy theory when Belfort's coach says he isn't injured:

LINK

It's obvious he's not praying to Jesus enough

belfort either has terrible luck, or he doesnt want to risk losing his title shot by losing to okami

Not true...according to Vitor's coach.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.posts&forum=1&thread=1704359&page=1&pc=1

Anderson vs. Belfort. Awesome