Bellator 220 this Saturday. Two fights to watch.

This Saturday Bellator 220 competes with UFC for viewers’ attention. It’s one of Bellator’s “big” events, with a main card full of names you probably know and prelims almost full of guys you’ll never hear of again.

The only main card fight I really want to see is noted below, along with the one prelims fight I want to see.

Main card matchups:

• Rory vs. Fitch main event: Rory puts his title on the line in the last (finally, FFS) quarterfinal fight in their interminable and easily forgotten WW tournament.

• Ilima-Lei Macfarlane (9-0) vs. Veta Arteaga (5-2). This squash match is only interesting because Macfarlane has 7 finishes in 9 fights. Hopefully she’ll finish this one as well.

• Benson Henderson vs. Adam Piccolotti: Who cares.

• Phil Davis vs. Liam McGeary: Both guys have lost to a guy named Vadim Nemkov in the past year.

• Gaston Bolanos (4-1) vs. Nathan Stolen (8-4): This is the fight I want to see, only because Bolanos is a truly violent fighter and his hand-picked opponent hates going to the judges for a decision. Between these two, they have a grand total of 1 decision in 17 fights. I’m hoping, praying, and fully expecting a highlight reel finish.

Prelims:

• Mandel Nallo (7-0) vs. Don Mohammed (6-3): Nallo is a Tristar fighter who refuses to go 15 minutes. He’s finished all 7 of his opponents, and the only time he beat a guy with a losing record was in his pro debut. He’s good on the feet and on the ground: 3 (T)KOs and 4 Subs. Look for an 8th straight finish for him in this one, and the main card from here on out.

Mandel Nallo in action:

Head, meet foot:

Face, meet knee:

Gaston Bolanos brutalizing others;

Working the leg:

Had enough:

Have elbow, will KTFO:

\

Asking for quiet out of respect for the sleeping opponent:

Slow ref:

Stacked card

Cass bell is fighting on the prelims too. He’s a cool guy and works his ass off.  I come from a pretty rural area and he’s from the area.  I went to high school and middle school with the guy so it’s awesome to see him out there

ugctt_warjimmiller -

Cass bell is fighting on the prelims too. He’s a cool guy and works his ass off.  I come from a pretty rural area and he’s from the area.  I went to high school and middle school with the guy so it’s awesome to see him out there

Are you sure? Tapology says the fight was cancelled. No explanation given.

Cass is 2-0, both fights in Bellator, both finishes.

UFC card this weekend is trash.  Should be easy to get viewers away from it.  Marvel End Game is what could destroy them both.

I’m excited about this Bellator.

What is this “UFC” you speak of and why is it not on TV?

One interesting thing about this card will come later. It's in California, so they'll disclose the totally shit pay the prelims fighters get (although they probably won't disclose that part of their pay is in comp tickets that the fighters can sell to family and friends, and a Bellator t-shirt or something like that). It's pathetic that a new UFC fighter gets more in Reebok pay than half the Bellator prelims fighters get in show money. 

Oh well, it's still better than fighting on the regional circuit, I suppose.

Thanks for the breakdown Tug!

"Phil Davis vs. Liam McGeary: Both guys have lost to a guy named Vadim Nemkov in the past year."

like they are bums losing to a no-name?

both are great fighters, it's just that Nemkov is very good and it's a shame that you don't know the guy.

touch -

"Phil Davis vs. Liam McGeary: Both guys have lost to a guy named Vadim Nemkov in the past year."

both are great fighters, it's just that Nemkov is very good and it's a shame that you don't know the guy.

I rarely watch Bellator, especially when there are fights involving former UFC guys. Bader is one of the exceptions to that. But yeah, I had no idea who Nemkov was, and I admit I was too lazy to look him up. He looks to be a legit fighter.

So, okay, I'll amend my comment to say Davis and McGeary both lost last year to 10-2 Vadim Nemkov (who also beat Philipe Lins, the winner of the PFL HW tournament).

touch -

Yeah, that was a dumb comment.

IMasturNateConstantly -

Stacked card

Agreed, and stacked with guys that could be future stars. That’s what makes it most exciting. 

Nallo looks like he could be what Carmont was supposed to be. He’s a dynamic guy. 

thestaton -

UFC card this weekend is trash.  Should be easy to get viewers away from it.  Marvel End Game is what could destroy them both.

trash? are you drunk. shit, its better than several last PPV cards

thestaton -

How is this card trash? 

Ronaldo Souza vs. Jack Hermansson

Greg Hardy vs. Dmitrii Smoliakov

Alex Oliveira vs. Mike Perry

Glover Teixeira vs. Ion Cutelaba

John Lineker vs. Cory Sandhagen

Roosevelt Roberts vs. Thomas Gifford

Preliminary Card (ESPN, 7 PM ET)

Ben Saunders vs. Takashi Sato

Andrei Arlovski vs. Augusto Sakai

Carla Esparza vs. Virna Jandiroba

Gilbert Burns vs. TBA

Preliminary Card (ESPN 2/ESPN+, 5:30 PM ET)

Jim Miller vs. Jason Gonzalez

Angela Hill vs. Jodie Esquibel

Court McGee vs. Dhiego Lima

Will definitely be watching.

Just a heads-up: It looks like the main card will be a DAZN-only deal. That's what a couple of MMA sites are indicating. So, no Paramount or whatever it's called these days. Starts at 10 p.m. Eastern.

Prelims will stream free on Bellator's web site and on various MMA sites (MMAJunkie is one of them...I wonder why the UG doesn't carry the prelims streams? Maybe Bellator charges for it? ). Prelims start at 7:30 Eastern.

What's it say about Bellator when there are virtually no oddsmakers posting lines for even the fights on its main card (other than the main event) and yet they post odds for most of the fights on the KSW card the same date? 

As of today, three days before the event, only the Rory vs. Fitch fight has odds posted on bestfightodds.com. Rory's a -400 favorite, and the absence of movement on the betting line for the past couple of weeks says that virtually no one is betting on this fight.

Every fight on the UFC card for this weekend has odds posted. For KSW, where the motto is "If you ain't juicin' you ain't fightin' ," there are odds for 8 fights. But for Bellator: No action.

When the oddsmakers won't set lines for fights, I think it says either they don't believe any gamblers give a crap, or they think it's about the same as setting lines for a WWE card. In either case, it tells me Bellator is sliding toward irrelevance. And I hate to see that, because back when Rebney was running the show I was a fully paid up believer in their tournament system for lining up title shots, and I really wanted to see them succeed. 

Tug Dabone - 

This Saturday Bellator 220 competes with UFC for viewers’ attention. It’s one of Bellator’s “big” events, with a main card full of names you probably know and prelims almost full of guys you’ll never hear of again.

The only main card fight I really want to see is noted below, along with the one prelims fight I want to see.

Main card matchups:

• Rory vs. Fitch main event: Rory puts his title on the line in the last (finally, FFS) quarterfinal fight in their interminable and easily forgotten WW tournament.

• Ilima-Lei Macfarlane (9-0) vs. Veta Arteaga (5-2). This squash match is only interesting because Macfarlane has 7 finishes in 9 fights. Hopefully she’ll finish this one as well.

• Benson Henderson vs. Adam Piccolotti: Who cares.

• Phil Davis vs. Liam McGeary: Both guys have lost to a guy named Vadim Nemkov in the past year.

• Gaston Bolanos (4-1) vs. Nathan Stolen (8-4): This is the fight I want to see, only because Bolanos is a truly violent fighter and his hand-picked opponent hates going to the judges for a decision. Between these two, they have a grand total of 1 decision in 17 fights. I’m hoping, praying, and fully expecting a highlight reel finish.

Prelims:

• Mandel Nallo (7-0) vs. Don Mohammed (6-3): Nallo is a Tristar fighter who refuses to go 15 minutes. He’s finished all 7 of his opponents, and the only time he beat a guy with a losing record was in his pro debut. He’s good on the feet and on the ground: 3 (T)KOs and 4 Subs. Look for an 8th straight finish for him in this one, and the main card from here on out.

“Easily forgotten WW tournament”

Why do you say that? I’m not saying I completely disagree but just curious…Imo it is suffering from the same thing as the other grand prixs, they are taking too fucking long!! The first round isn’t even over yet and it’s been what, 7 months?! If Coker plans on running future grand Prixs, he needs to run them similar to how Pride used to…

Davis vs Mcgreary…haven’t these light heavies all fought each other before? These matchups all sound so familiar

Ditto on Benson, his fights are just zzzz these days…no importance