Bellator Champion Pays Tribute To Masvidal After Gamebred's Retirement

https://www.mmanews.com/news/johnny-eblen-tribute-jorge-masvidal

Jorge Masvidal has had a massive impact on the careers of countless fighters, including Bellator middleweight champion Johnny Eblen.

Hailing from Miami, Florida, and with a career spanning more than two decades, Masvidal is easily one of the most popular fighters to ever come from the Sunshine State. So naturally, it only makes sense that fans and fighters alike were emotional when “Gamebred” announced his retirement, after losing a decision to Gilbert Burns in the co-main event of UFC 287, taking place in that same city of Miami.

Johnny Eblen Gives Jorge Masvidal Flowers

Although there were a lot of different reactions to Jorge Masvidal announcing his retirement, one consistent theme appeared. This was the fact that there seemed to be a level of respect for a fighter going from backyard bare knuckle brawls, to the highest of heights in the UFC, having a special BMF title wrapped around his waist by the Rock.
This respect was perhaps best shown by fellow Floridan Bellator middleweight champion Johnny Eblen, who posted to Twitter after UFC 287, to show respect to Masvidal. Here, he spoke on the impact “Gamebred” had on his career as a fighter, saying that he would not be in the position he is today if he had not been able to learn by training with Masvidal as his teammate and friend.

“@gamebredfighter you are an inspiration my man! 20 years in the game, starting from nothing, to becoming a multi million dollar man and the king of your city all while helping those around you. You are forever a legend and thank you for making such a profound impact in this sport. I’m happy I was able to be apart of your journey,” Eblen wrote.

“I wouldn’t be the fighter I am now without you. In many ways this is a team sport and I’m happy I was on your team. Now on to bigger better things outside of fighting! Happy for you my brother, I’ll always be rooting for you and always be in your corner :saluting_face: Vamanos!”

4 Likes
2 Likes

This is a massive show of respect from Johnny Eblen, and it is representative of how many people feel about Jorge Masvidal retiring from MMA. This certainly marks the end of an important career.

3 Likes

A true legend of the sport. I don’t care what Anyone says. He had his ups and his downs, his shine and his shade, but we’ll never have another fighter who came up throwing bare knuckle hands in parking lots and backyards like gamebred.

4 Likes

Tough dude - I loved his early backyard fights, but “legend” gets thrown around way too much.

6 Likes

yep , not even close

2 Likes

Ham and egger

Hes a legend in my books. Had some iconic moments in MMA

2 Likes

His storied career and the BMF belt do make for a legend.

That BMF belt for what it’s worth being a weird one off thing in the biggest MMA organization is one of a kind. Plus he got it with a win over Nate Diaz to boot.

1 Like

Love or hate him, he definitely had a colorful fight history starting in backyards. Made it to the UFC and had some success. He got YOU talking about him.
He goes in the category of Baroni and Murray in that aspect. Not the crimes, but he got you to be interested in him and you wanted to know more about this guys story.
And that is what I say a legend is.
Just wondering, the def of legend, do they have to be accurate? Let me break out the dictionary

Moreso for his origin story, definitely not a legend in the cage. Are the diaz brothers legends? I think so

1 Like

Another legend

He is not the king of miami…
Mixed Martial Arts Sport GIF by UFC

He’s a legendary figure in that during his time in the sport, he was a key player for several years. You can’t discuss that period of time without mentioning him.

1 Like

Agreed on the Diaz brothers.