Bellator fighters less risk adverse= excitement

With the majority of the UFC product turning into bad kickboxing matches Bellator seems to keep the excitement.

Seems a big factor is the fighters in Bellator are less risk adverse willing to try for a finish rather play it safe.

Listen dude.

I like Bellator and hope they continue to progress. It’s better for the sport, better for the fans and better for the fighters.

I thought it sucked when Pride ended and Strike Force followed soon after. I miss those great events and fights.

However, you basically saw mismatches. Just look at the record of the guys who lost to subs, tonight.

I love the submission game but top level mma fighters more often than not neutralize subs.

Let me put it to you this way. How many submission oriented guys are champions in Bellator? The answer is zero.

I don’t necessarily think these fighters took big risks and I would argue that once the competition steps up for each of these guys, you probably won’t see subs with the same frequency.

keithws2 - Listen dude.

I like Bellator and hope they continue to progress. It’s better for the sport, better for the fans and better for the fighters.

I thought it sucked when Pride ended and Strike Force followed soon after. I miss those great events and fights.

However, you basically saw mismatches. Just look at the record of the guys who lost to subs, tonight.

I love the submission game but top level mma fighters more often than not neutralize subs.

Let me put it to you this way. How many submission oriented guys are champions in Bellator? The answer is zero.

I don’t necessarily think these fighters took big risks and I would argue that once the competition steps up for each of these guys, you probably won’t see subs with the same frequency.

Two of the subs were from elite bjj guys 

MattyJ - 
keithws2 - Listen dude.

Yep, but those two elite bjj guys were not fighting elite competition. They were mismatches.

I just don’t see a lot of top guys taking big risks to get subs. I simply believe these subs were more the result of mismatched competition.

That was my overall point regardless of it being a Bellator or UFC event.

Hopefully, exciting ground work and subs become prevalent. I would much rather see that than a fighter simply controlling position and throwing half hearted strikes to prevent a standup.

^^^^. I would not disagree with the at least the spirit of your comments, and I get it.

Maybe I will go so far as to say maybe you are correct.

I recall Rorion mentioning that you both sharks and fish.

UFC has lost an element of excitement.

We can debate the cause, but the UFC is not as entertaining as it once was or as it could be.

Not going to disagree. Very reasonable response.

Again, I believe in competition and I want Bellator to succeed. They have some outstanding fighters and as a whole, I like seeing a wider range of fighters verses being restricted to only watching UFC guys.

I also hit up local small shows all the time. It’s cool when you see some crazy shit pull off in the cage regardless of the level of competition.

"Yep, but those two elite bjj guys were not fighting elite competition. They were mismatches."

Gerald Harris certainly isn't no bum, and he got submitted last night. I believe for the first time in his career. They weren't all mismatches. Danis was getting lit up standing and desperately jumped guard, although his opponent did lose his last 2 by sub so I can see the argument there.

I didn’t say any of those guys were bums.

I said they were not elite not even close. There’s a difference between top 10 or 15 caliber guys and a solid journey man.

I enjoyed the subs and I definitely want to se Rafael Lovato Jr, again. He looks like a guy that can make some waves.

MattyJ -
keithws2 - Listen dude.

One making his mma debut.  What kind of opponent do you think he should face?  Bellator is simply being smart and building up some fighters.  A decade ago the UFC did the same thing and got some names out of it, they just stopped doing it as much (which is fucking foolish)

Last night’s excitement was due to the mismatches.

do you think that Fedor vs Mir was a mismatch?

were you not entertained!?

InTheClosetCucumberBoy - 
MattyJ -
keithws2 - Listen dude.

One making his mma debut.  What kind of opponent do you think he should face?  Bellator is simply being smart and building up some fighters.  A decade ago the UFC did the same thing and got some names out of it, they just stopped doing it as much (which is fucking foolish)

Of course…

keithws2 - Listen dude.

I haven’t seen too many talk about this but I fully agree. Some of those first fights were very much mismatches (no disrespect to any fighter).

keithws2 - Listen dude.

I do remember a time where people started getting closely matched.. maybe around the end of Matt Hughes reign? I just remember some fights being meh. That's never really gone away but my god does it make you appreciate some things now.. Silva landing that front kick to Belfort, Machida on Couture.. so many insane moments!

so you guys thought the main event was boring ?

Conor brings it.

Conor Iis one of the few UFC fighters I find exciting.