Bellator guilty of Zuffa-like tactics....

And people are all over them calling them bullies and that UFC would never do anything remotely like this?
Come on man.....
While the Randy Couture lawsuit wasn't exactly the same, Zuffa used the "perpetual champion" clause to keep Couture in limbo...

How bout Couture putting the UFC heavyweight division in limbo by trying to retire as champion and go fight somewhere else? UFC were well within their rights to do what they did with Couture.

TeamRenzo4Life - And people are all over them calling them bullies and that UFC would never do anything remotely like this?
Come on man.....
While the Randy Couture lawsuit wasn't exactly the same, Zuffa used the "perpetual champion" clause to keep Couture in limbo...

they didnt use the champions clause... Randy owed zuffa 2 fights which he didnt want to fulfill.  Zuffa offered him Big Nog but he wanted to leave without fulfilling his fights. They didnt keep Randy in Limbo... they offered him fights he didnt want to fulfill.

As much as the champions clause is talked about zuffa has never exercised it.

The lawsuit had nothing to do with the champions clause... it had everything to do with the 2 remaining fights. and it was Randy who initially sued Zuffa.  He wasnt gonna win so he settled.

this is not even a close comparison to what bellator is doing. Eddie fulfillled his obligations whereas Randy did not. Eddie fulfilled his fights and submitted an offer for bellator to match.  Bellator cant match it so they are pretending to match it in order to sue him so he cant work.

Let's use some common sense... if bellator really matched it you think Eddie would be dumb enough to sit out for a year to fight it instead making the same money fighting lesser competition?

Eddie even offered to sign with bellator for a little less than what zuffa offered.

MMALOGIC - 
TeamRenzo4Life - And people are all over them calling them bullies and that UFC would never do anything remotely like this?
Come on man.....

they didnt use the champions clause... Randy owed zuffa 2 fights which he didnt want to fulfill.  Zuffa offered him Big Nog but he wanted to leave without fulfilling his fights. They didnt keep Randy in Limbo... they offered him fights he didnt want to fulfill.

The lawsuit had nothing to do with the champions clause... it had everything to do with the 2 remaining fights. and it was Randy who initially sued Zuffa.  He wasnt gonna win so he settled.

this is not even a close comparison to what bellator is doing. Eddie fulfillled his obligations whereas Randy did not. Eddie fulfilled his fights and submitted an offer for bellator to match.  Bellator cant match it so they are pretending to match it in order to sue him so he cant work.

Let's use some common sense... if bellator really matched it you think Eddie would be dumb enough to sit out for a year to fight it instead making the same money fighting lesser competition?

Eddie even offered to sign with bellator for a little less than what zuffa offered.

I don't believe that for a second. So you're saying that all Couture had to do was fight twice more and they'd have let him go fulfill one of his biggest goals at the time which was to fight Fedor? No. As a matter of fact, Couture even went so far as to go to court over the championship clause. There's no way he'd have bothered filing an expensive suit just to dispute two fights he owed Zuffa. That would be ridiculous, absolutely idiotic.
I'm not saying the UFC hasn't gotten more fair to the fighters now that they're a successful brand, but back then things were different. I don't believe they'd have let Randy fulfill his obligations and let him walk away to a rival promotion.
They also did something similar to Heath Herring because he spoke out about fighter pay. Dana will tell you different, but I know for a fact that Herring was willing and able to fight for Zuffa but they froze him out.
Do you think the UFC would act any differently than Bellator if JBJ decided after his contract waqs up he would go to one of the few remaining rival promotions?
Never. If the UFC lets a fighter go, it's because they don't value that fighter.

Jweinberg - 

Bellator sucks- never watched any of their events- they need to go away Phone Post

What an idiotic thing to say. I'm starting to think either modern MMA wait....not MMA fans...Ultimate Fighting fans are mildly retarded or Zuffa's cutting a lot of checksa for posters.

TeamRenzo4Life - 
MMALOGIC - 
Come on man.....

I don't believe that for a second. So you're saying that all Couture had to do was fight twice more and they'd have let him go fulfill one of his biggest goals at the time which was to fight Fedor? No. As a matter of fact, Couture even went so far as to go to court over the championship clause. There's no way he'd have bothered filing an expensive suit just to dispute two fights he owed Zuffa. That would be ridiculous, absolutely idiotic.
I'm not saying the UFC hasn't gotten more fair to the fighters now that they're a successful brand, but back then things were different. I don't believe they'd have let Randy fulfill his obligations and let him walk away to a rival promotion.
They also did something similar to Heath Herring because he spoke out about fighter pay. Dana will tell you different, but I know for a fact that Herring was willing and able to fight for Zuffa but they froze him out.
Do you think the UFC would act any differently than Bellator if JBJ decided after his contract waqs up he would go to one of the few remaining rival promotions?
Never. If the UFC lets a fighter go, it's because they don't value that fighter.

look up the lawsuit... it had nothing to do with the champions clause.  The lawsuit was primarily about the 2 fights he owed.  Randy's argument was that those obligations would end at a certain date and zuffa's argument was that the date extends if he refuses fights that are presented to him (ie: why they offered him the big nog fight).

They offered herring a fight in London... he didnt want it.  Herring didnt want to fight anymore because Brock broke his orbital... at least he didnt want to fight anymore for his contracted purse (which was around 90k a fight). 

Zuffa cant just freeze a guy out.  they have to offer them a fight unless they are injured or refuse the fight. or they can release the fighter if they have the right to.

You know for a "fact" that they froze heath herring out?  oh really... here's heath herring himself saying that they offered him fights but he kept turning them down:

“There were a couple of times [since the Lesnar fight] where the UFC wanted me to go overseas and do a fight for them, but it was tough,” Herring told Sherdog.com. “The UFC would do things like ask me to fight overseas but then only pay for one hotel room for me and my coaching staff. If I’m having to pay for hotel rooms, and they’re making as much money as they are on pay-per-views, it’s just not financially worthwhile for me to take that fight.”

Facts, how do they work? Phone Post

its probably a case of Eddie wanting to come to UFC now but cant because Bellator matched their offer, so hes trying to get out of it

Trolling, how does it work...

TeamRenzo4Life -
Jweinberg -  Bellator sucks- never watched any of their events- they need to go away Phone Post

What an idiotic thing to say. I'm starting to think either modern MMA wait....not MMA fans...Ultimate Fighting fans are mildly retarded or Zuffa's cutting a lot of checksa for posters.

Ya no doubt, what a stupid comment. This is MMA.TV, a website for mma fans. Ufc.com is waiting for you... Phone Post

Standup29 - Facts, how do they work? Phone Post

For Team Renzo.

Logic summed it up perfectly.

Zuffa is not perfect and has certainly done some not so great things. However I don't ever remember them suing as many fighters as Bellator has. I'm sure they have their reasons and some might be just. With regards to Brookins and Alverez, it just seems spiteful to me.

If Alverez wants to move on, let him. He gave you great fights and was a large part of getting Bellator established as a brand. Him being in the UFC is not a complete bad thing. If he excels it will put eyes on Bellator because that is where he was a champion. You don't just need stars, you need views. Phone Post

And having Stars is not the only way to get views. In fact it's VIEWS that create STARS. And Eddie was a Star before he came to Bellator. I don't think his stock has risen as much from being a Bellator guy. In fact I think more people watched him fight in Japan compared to the US. Phone Post

I guess every thing I read about the Couture situation was wrong. I don't understand though, I remember reading about the perpetual champion clause in nearly every article or discussion that had to do with Randy and Zuffa. If you're saying that's not the case then I'm prepared to accept that.
I still have a feeling Bellator's contract language is very similar to Zuffa's....call it a hunch.
I read an article where Herring was saying similar things. He made it clear that while the UFC was offering him work, the terms were less than ideal.

Jweinberg - 

Bellator sucks- never watched any of their events- they need to go away Phone Post

Bellator sucks and in the same sentence "never watched it."
Do I need to point out out dumb that sounds?

Watch this then tell me Bellator sucks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HziG9DBfJf0