Bellator tops the dumbness of King Mo/Newton II

Jeez, how did I go from digging this company to hating every move they make?  

Last week, they announce King Mo vs. Emanuel Newton II for their PPV and I just threw my hands up.  Today, they said Doug "Rhino" Marshall is out of his title fight against Shlemenko due to a hand injury.  Do they postpone it?  Nope, they give the title shot to Brett Cooper, the guy Marshall just KTFO.   Yes, they just gave a guy who didn't earn a title shot a title shot. "Bellator: Where title shots are earned, not given."  

http://www.bellator.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23600&ATCLID=209208262

I knew something shady was getting ready to go down when Bjorn introduced the tournament replacement clause last week (where he said, "I doubt I'll have to use it").

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/08/bellator-institutes-tournament-champion-replacement-clause-for-title-fights

according to forum rules you are now a UFC shill.

How much did Dana pay you to make that post Epwar you whore!?

He better not be getting more than me or I an complaining to Cindy Phone Post

smth416 - according to forum rules you are now a UFC shill.

How much did Dana pay you to make that post Epwar you whore!?

LOL!

They have no brain working in the Bellator camp.  You don't talk shit about Chael Sonnen getting an undeserved title shot and then a week later give a title shot to a guy who got brutally KO'd.  shaking my head so hard

Awful move, but calling it "shady" is silly

What benefit is it to have Brett Cooper fighting? The answer, none

They should have went non title vs a better opponent

liquidrob - Awful move, but calling it "shady" is silly

Right, nothing shady about introducing a tournament clause and then suddenly needing to use it 6 days later. ;-)

epwar - 

Right, nothing shady about introducing a tournament clause and then suddenly needing to use it 6 days later. ;-)

The point is it doesnt help them at all, it's Brett Cooper, if they wanted to use a Rampage/Tito or whatever and put them in a title fight than I understand, but it's Cooper

Making it a title fight is dumb and the system seems silly because pretty much everyone in the tournament will be coming off a loss, just go back to non title fights like they used to, the fans killed them for that anyway, now they will kill them for this

Go non title "super fight", if the challenger wins than he gets a shot

epwar - 

LOL!

Cindy

inb4 Bellatorfan explains why this is super awsm pwnxors the ufc move!

They should have just done a non-title fight with Shlemenko vs. Kendall Grove. At least Grove is coming off a win.

you can see even the staunchest Bellator supporters starting to see that this thing has gone in the wrong direction.

The faceless, bloated hooks of Viacom are in and all we can do is hope a proper number two promotion shows up.

You know even their dog killing CEO isnt happy right about now.

caposa - 

They should have just done a non-title fight with Shlemenko vs. Kendall Grove. At least Grove is coming off a win.

I agree

But that would have been "LOL @ VIACOM" instead of this thread

followed by multiple posts about Bellator not signing UFC cast offs

Just a bad situation all around, but they could have handled it better, not a good match up, for the title makes it worse

I guess the obvious logic is that Cooper is the tournament runner-up... but it should still be a non-title fight.

He didn't earn the shot. Phone Post

Seems they went down to the tournament runner up.  Had the UFC used this method, would Chael have been given the shot against Jones?  Nope.

That makes what Bellator is doing more legitimate than what the UFC did.  Shouldn't have made it a title fight but you're stupid for crying.

Waaahhh big bad Bellator is doing things that are just as bad as the UFC!  Waaahhhh!  You sound like a Fox News anchor.  The Democrats are just as bad as us, we swear!

time traveling 12er - 
liquidrob - 
epwar - 

<br />
        <p>
            Right, nothing shady about introducing a tournament clause and then suddenly needing to use it 6 days later. ;-)</p>
    </blockquote>
    <br />
    The point is it doesnt help them at all, it's Brett Cooper, if they wanted to use a Rampage/Tito or whatever and put them in a title fight than I understand, but it's Cooper<br />
    <br />
    Making it a title fight is dumb and the system seems silly because pretty much everyone in the tournament will be coming off a loss, just go back to non title fights like they used to, the fans killed them for that anyway, now they will kill them for this<br />
    <br />
    Go non title &quot;super fight&quot;, if the challenger wins than he gets a shot</blockquote>
<br />
It's a no win situation they've put themselves in. They make it a non-title fight and the champ loses then it degrades the value of the title. Besides isn't the result of the fight more important than the way you got there? This is fighting and not ranking right?</blockquote>

Yeah they back themselves into a corner with this tournament stuff and their obvious need to have a rotation of titlefights every event.

They probably don't think they can't carry a card with non-title fights so this is what they come up with. THey need to get more creative here.

I generally stick up for Bellator due to all the hate they get on the UG but yea...that's fucking stupid. Phone Post

It's not legitimate at all. To earn the title shot means you WON the tournament.

Chael Sonnen gave the top pound 4 pound fighter in the world one of the toughest fights in his career. He was a top ranked middleweight. He's no less legitimate than Brett Cooper.

wow, that's terrible news...

I admire Bellator's consistence at being inconsistent.

we need to cut bellator some slack because they are in dire straights... im even done creating threads about their ratings until the fall season comes out....  (maybe)