Belt rank after taking time off?

Is there any BJJ etiquette when taking a long time off and belt rank? For example, I'm a brown belt and have taken the last year and a half off due to work and grad school. Considering how much time I'm taking off, would it look bad if I returned as a brown belt - seeing my skills wouldn't be where they were before? Phone Post

If you graduate with a finance degree from a 4 year university, but don't use it for a period of time, does that mean you no longer have a degree?

You earned your belt, just because you aren't at the top of your game after a long lay off doesn't mean you never knew it. Your skills will come back quickly, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Santino DeFranco - If you graduate with a finance degree from a 4 year university, but don't use it for a period of time, does that mean you no longer have a degree?

You earned your belt, just because you aren't at the top of your game after a long lay off doesn't mean you never knew it. Your skills will come back quickly, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

this

You should go to a new school and wear a white belt, tell them that you trained 'a little' and then you'll awesome against the jabroni white belts

bmoney -  I'm a brown belt

You know the answer yourself. 

Crazy that a brown belt wouldn't know what the right answer to this is.... The mind bottles. Phone Post

I only ask because I've heard of guys dropping themselves a belt rank.. Wasn't sure if that was protocol or not.. Phone Post

I've pissed people off for training at different (non-rival) academies before.. I just don't want to be disrespectful. Phone Post

bmoney - 

I've pissed people off for training at different (non-rival) academies before.. I just don't want to be disrespectful. Phone Post

Then don't wear a white and start knee-on-stomaching blues until their ribs crack. Wear your color, otherwise you're disrespecting yourself.

It's only a belt. If you feel too aware of yourself you can let people know you trained couch potatoing for the past 18 months so they shouldn't expect anything stellar out of you, and if they catch you, it's all good.

I am a purple took 3 years off, quit my job which was the reason I stopped training. Went back and did white belt classes for 2 months until white belts were too easy have been going to all levels classes now for about a month and a half finally feeling good.

Not going to lie I felt like people didn't think I was legit it was prob in my head, but now I'm right back in it. Only thing holding me back is no health insurance and I am afraid to get hurt. Phone Post