Ben Askren vs Jordan Burroughs May 6 MSG

andrewwarner -

Man I hate that this is going to be on flo which is a scan company.

How is Flo a scam company?

Wasa-B - So are gut-wrenches even a thing in folkstyle? Like do quick back exposure techniques score in folkstyle?

Not sure wrench but there's techniques similar to it that gives you points

EKPOGI -
Wasa-B - So are gut-wrenches even a thing in folkstyle? Like do quick back exposure techniques score in folkstyle?

Not sure wrench but there's techniques similar to it that gives you points

No gut wrench because you can't lock your hands around the opponents waist when on the ground in folkstyle 

wiggum - This is genuinely great news.

In freestyle, especially, this is a tough match up for Ben. People might point to Pendleton to explain why JB is a back matchup (good double, good position, quick finishes being the similarity). But, I think Ben figured out that ‘type’ by his Junior year.

Ben adjusted his funk style for freestyle and was a legit top 5 guy in the world. But, JB is the champ. Ben will rightly be a huge underdog.

If Ben gets tech’d, idiots might come on and think that this discredits Ben. Those people should be recognized for what they are–total morons.

Awesome stuff.

lol he didn’t “figure it out” he was just lucky Pendleton graduated after Ben’s sophomore year or he would have never been an NCAA Champ. I’m a HUGE fan of Ben but Pendleton had his number

Stu Cazzo -
andrewwarner -

How is Flo a scam company?

Something, something, pay wall, uh...grow the sport. (Translation: people want free shit). I like flo bc I can watch almost everything in one place.

Neat. I look forward to watching this match. 

andrewwarner - 

I have a lot of problems with Flo; too many to list. But, it’s a stretch to call them a scam company. They offer a service and they charge for it. The service is generally good although they have messed up their streaming of big events before. Not sure what the scam is. They’ve been good to me on refunds and returns.

I wish they had legit competition.

EKPOGI - 

In freestyle, especially, this is a tough match up for Ben. People might point to Pendleton to explain why JB is a back matchup (good double, good position, quick finishes being the similarity). But, I think Ben figured out that ‘type’ by his Junior year.

Ben adjusted his funk style for freestyle and was a legit top 5 guy in the world. But, JB is the champ. Ben will rightly be a huge underdog.

If Ben gets tech’d, idiots might come on and think that this discredits Ben. Those people should be recognized for what they are–total morons.

Awesome stuff.

didn’t know Ben was a legit top5 freestyler in his weight class.if you can,anyway to explain how he adjusted his funk for freestyle?

P.s.ben isn’t a bitch and I’m sure he’ll do freestyle no problem vs Jordan.

If anything,they should have two matches,one free and folkstyle in the future

He founds ways to scramble without exposing. This match at Beat the Streets has some good examples. See the scramble that comes at about 2:05. Moza Fay vs. Ben Askren - 2010 Beat the Streets Gala - YouTube

But, truthfully, he adjusted by not being quite as good. He lost of a lot of his best weapons, but he at least found ways to make funk not a huge liability.

Wasa-B - Wiggs, is the US the only major wrestling country that does not do freestyle from youth ages?

Also, I guess it may depend but how quickly can US guys who go onto to elite freestyle careers switch back to folkstyle? Like once they finish college, and compete in freestyle/Greco, do any of them compete in folkstyle?

Most top MS and HS wrestlers do freestyle during what we call freestyle season. Folkstyle season is November-Feb/March. After that, the committed athletes compete in freestyle through clubs and USA wrestling tournaments. It culminates in junior nationals at Fargo in July.

There are some top kids who don’t do freestyle at all. They tend to be (1) multisport athletes; (2) low income and unable to afford the cost of freestyle season, which isn’t sponsored by the schools; or (3) less committed.

But, the vast majority of D1 wrestlers did a lot of freestyle by the time they get to college.

Wasa-B - Wiggs, is the US the only major wrestling country that does not do freestyle from youth ages?

Also, I guess it may depend but how quickly can US guys who go onto to elite freestyle careers switch back to folkstyle? Like once they finish college, and compete in freestyle/Greco, do any of them compete in folkstyle?

Folkstyle competition is done for the most part when you graduate college.

However, most of the top guys are helping out at colleges. They still get folkstyle reps in. Many of the top guys are volunteer assistants and have official folkstyle coaching responsibilities. Even those who aren’t still do camps and clinics that are centered on folkstyle.

the wrestlers are never done with folkstyle. Even if they stop competing in it. Even if they aren’t coaching, they’ve been doing it since they were in diapers. Switching back isn’t too difficult.

Wasa-B - So are gut-wrenches even a thing in folkstyle? Like do quick back exposure techniques score in folkstyle?

They do not score. In fact, you cannot lock your hands around the opponent’s body.

Tommy Gunnz - 

Awesome stuff.

lol he didn’t “figure it out” he was just lucky Pendleton graduated after Ben’s sophomore year or he would have never been an NCAA Champ. I’m a HUGE fan of Ben but Pendleton had his number

Respectfully, I disagree.

wiggum - 

Most top MS and HS wrestlers do freestyle during what we call freestyle season. Folkstyle season is November-Feb/March. After that, the committed athletes compete in freestyle through clubs and USA wrestling tournaments. It culminates in junior nationals at Fargo in July.

There are some top kids who don’t do freestyle at all. They tend to be (1) multisport athletes; (2) low income and unable to afford the cost of freestyle season, which isn’t sponsored by the schools; or (3) less committed.

But, the vast majority of D1 wrestlers did a lot of freestyle by the time they get to college.

Interesting, did not know that either.

wiggum - 
Siciliano di Brooklyn - Hey guys, sorry to be that guy, but can you explain to a guy that doesn't know shit about the difference, why folkstyle over freestyle would benefit Ben, rules/techniques, etc...

Two issues:

First, folkstyle emphasizes mat wrestling. You are allowed to ride for long periods of time and the bottom person is required to try to escape or reverse. In freestyle, your riding time is limited and the bottom person can flatten out and ‘stall.’ Ben’s great skill was riding and turning people.

Second, in freestyle, you get points for ‘exposing’ a person’s back. You don’t have to hold them on their back. Ben’s funky style has him going to his back a lot and he risks exposure.

In spite of this, Askren was a very good freestyler. But, he’s one of the best folkstylers to ever do it, which isn’t the case for his freestyle career.

Hope this helps.

Good post. Just want to add that points are also given in folk for back exposure.

My son won many matches against arguably better wrestlers because of one thing he could do to about anyone. A roll-thru tilt.

Roll thru, hold till you get your points awarded, roll back over, break your grip making sure the ref sees it broken, then do it again.

My kid got very good at this, while keeping eye contact with the ref, so he knew the ref saw the grip break and reset. If you don’t break grip you can only score once with back exposure until you do.

^^To clarify, the difference is that folkstyle requires a minimum 2-count, whereas freestyle requires neither a count nor control. As long as you initiate the move, the points are yours.

^^

Agree. I am not the best “explainer” lol

Also I should add for those trying to learn the differences.

The grip I am talking about is you gripping the opponents arm, not locking or gripping your own hands/arms around him. You can’t lock on the ground with any grip around your opponent, with your own arms/hands locked at all.

You can lock standing but must release when you hit the ground.

Jordan will make Ben look old...

Props to Ben for trying to see where he stands now though 

wiggum - 
Wasa-B - Wiggs, is the US the only major wrestling country that does not do free from youth ages?

Also, I guess it may depend but how quickly can US guys who go onto to elite free careers switch back to folk Like once they finish college, and compete in free do any of them compete in folk>

Most top MS and HS wrestlers do free during what we call free season. Folk season is November-Feb/March. After that, the committed athletes compete in free through clubs and USA wrestling tournaments. It culminates in junior nationals at Fargo in July.

There are some top kids who don’t do free at all. They tend to be (1) multisport athletes; (2) low income and unable to afford the cost of free season, which isn’t sponsored by the schools; or (3) less committed.

But, the vast majority of D1 wrestlers did a lot of free by the time they get to college.

Another good post, and another comment. I only know about my state and the surrounding ones.

But here, I never did witness someone who only did folk place in folk state.

Folk season is fast and only like 3 months long. Free and greco go here for much longer seasons. If you do all 3, and participate with the state team, you will start fall wrestling (folk) pre-season in late Sept. As mentioned the last folk

tournaments are in July, in between are the other 2 types…

So a folk only wrestler here wrestles less than(with christmas breaks) 3 months a year.

If you do all 3 you get about 10 months per year. Also many more matches are wrestled during free and greco than folk.

Because there are no school athletic association match counts and the like.

Tough for anyone that only wrestles 3 months a year to compete with someone doing it for 10 months.

Dryfly -
wiggum - 
Wasa-B - Wiggs, is the US the only major wrestling country that does not do free from youth ages?

Also, I guess it may depend but how quickly can US guys who go onto to elite free careers switch back to folk Like once they finish college, and compete in free do any of them compete in folk>

Most top MS and HS wrestlers do free during what we call free season. Folk season is November-Feb/March. After that, the committed athletes compete in free through clubs and USA wrestling tournaments. It culminates in junior nationals at Fargo in July.

There are some top kids who don’t do free at all. They tend to be (1) multisport athletes; (2) low income and unable to afford the cost of free season, which isn’t sponsored by the schools; or (3) less committed.

But, the vast majority of D1 wrestlers did a lot of free by the time they get to college.

Another good post, and another comment. I only know about my state and the surrounding ones.

But here, I never did witness someone who only did folk place in folk state.

Folk season is fast and only like 3 months long. Free and greco go here for much longer seasons. If you do all 3, and participate with the state team, you will start fall wrestling (folk) pre-season in late Sept. As mentioned the last folk

tournaments are in July, in between are the other 2 types…

So a folk only wrestler here wrestles less than(with christmas breaks) 3 months a year.

If you do all 3 you get about 10 months per year. Also many more matches are wrestled during free and greco than folk.

Because there are no school athletic association match counts and the like.

Tough for anyone that only wrestles 3 months a year to compete with someone doing it for 10 months.

folk has invaded the real wrestling increasingly over the years… right now you can wrestle in all star folk duals from september through july… it is ridiculous…

should be illegal to wrestle the stall fest past february, but, i digress…

as per the thread origin, JB should handle askren with ease in a free match… they spent a few days rolling withtin the last year and ben commented on how it went down… big difference between a world medalist and an all time great beating up also rans in a different sport…

still, amazing marketing to get them to wrestle… i wont miss it… nor will anyone who has any skin in the game…

God Of Thunder -

Why would he ever agree to do this? Ben is gonna get embarrassed and will look bad as a fighter representing mma. 

he agrees to it because it is bigger than just a win or a loss...

get on board or move on...