Ben Henderson competing in the gi today (pic)

Another cool thing is Mama Smooth is competing today also. Wish I could be there to watch instead of being sick at home.

Middleweight Phone Post

Ben won the open weight division as well!

GracieMag
6:35 PM - Public
8th Arizona Open
Ben Henderson is the adult male brown belt absolute champion. In a repetition of the middleweight division final, he faced Christian Broadnax again. This time, the UFC Lightweight champion managed to get the tap by choke from the back. After the double gold, he talked to GracieMag.com: "I love BJJ and I love to compete without millions of people watching me!"

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-5ARxsyvFy6Q/UT0Km6bHJ5I/AAAAAAAADZg/VrGK9xYfoYU/w497-h373/IMG_0105.jpg

Great to see, but he should probably compete black belt next time.

:P

Of course this is allowed. It's part of the sport. Comparing this to bull riding is ridiculous. Might as well be rolling at the gym.... Phone Post

Must be in the terms of his contract, I think typically there is a ban on competing within x days of a ufc date. Phone Post

nostripewhite - Great to see, but he should probably compete black belt next time.

He won his division in brown last time and got tapped at open weight brown. I think it was just after the first Frankie fight. Phone Post

JSho - Must be in the terms of his contract, I think typically there is a ban on competing within x days of a ufc date. Phone Post

I thought I read that they're kept from 'dangerous activity' when they have a specific contracted fight, but had much more leeway in between..

Max Phone Post

thedirtyburger - Of course this is allowed. It's part of the sport. Comparing this to bull riding is ridiculous. Might as well be rolling at the gym.... Phone Post

I specifically said it's NOT bull riding. In competition, submissions get cranked as hard as possible and I don't see how that's the same as rolling, unless you roll with a bunch of fools who have no regard for you as a training partner. Phone Post

Caught_clean - 
nostripewhite - Great to see, but he should probably compete black belt next time.

He won his division in brown last time and got tapped at open weight brown. I think it was just after the first Frankie fight. Phone Post

He's a UFC champ not a BJJ wolrd champ. There are a bunch of BJJ browns that could easily deal with Bendo in a GI.

Yea I was just replying to the guy saying he should be competeting at black.

Hugh Jaynus - Ben won the open weight division as well!

GracieMag
6:35 PM - Public
8th Arizona Open
Ben Henderson is the adult male brown belt absolute champion. In a repetition of the middleweight division final, he faced Christian Broadnax again. This time, the UFC Lightweight champion managed to get the tap by choke from the back. After the double gold, he talked to GracieMag.com: "I love BJJ and I love to compete without millions of people watching me!"

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-5ARxsyvFy6Q/UT0Km6bHJ5I/AAAAAAAADZg/VrGK9xYfoYU/w497-h373/IMG_0105.jpg

VU sir

Good for Benson he is a class act. The broadnax twins are no joke. Rolling with them showed me the difference between club and competition level. Even just open mat rolling they were going hard every time all the time.