Ben Rothwell Beats Up Some Fat Kid (OLD vid)

This video hasn’t surfaced for quite some time.  For those who haven’t seen this video.  Here it is.  Jeremy Horn is the ref

Never gets old...

“Leave him alone!” nearly killed me the 1st time I saw it.

Random fact Ben’s opponent is actually older than him by a year.

The time for the rematch is now.

Fabes - 

The time for the rematch is now.

I’m afraid the “kid” already lost his fight against morbid obesity.

To add some context to that fight, Ben was still in high school, and it was his very first amateur fight, in a tournament format to boot. The fat kid and his friend, who also was “fighting”, where arguing in the back over which one got to fight Ben. Fat kid won and ended up stepping in the cage with a future UFC heavyweight. You must realize this was back in 99 when people did not really know anything about MMA (NHB back then). Believe it or not but Ben was freaked out too (he was a high school kid going to fight people in a cage). Ben went on to fight a grown man in the finals and knock him out on the ground with open hand strikes.

Also fat kid and his friend were wrestling (WWF) fans, and I do not think they really knew what they where getting involved in. Early MMA promoter give no f*cks

Esi3 - Also fat kid and his friend were wrestling (WWF) fans, and I do not think they really knew what they where getting involved in. Early MMA promoter give no f*cks

Haha! I remember a Danger Zone event around 99 where they paired a local tough man champ against a frail TMA kid wearing a gi with glasses. (think the movie Lucas, but with blond hair and glasses. Actually, he looked like Ralphie from a Christmas Story)

Many of us were backstage urging this kid not to step inside the cage. He dismisses all of us and chooses to compete.

His opponent put the kid in a head lock after stuffing his TMA dojo storm rush. As the kid is flailing to get out, tough man champ turns with the soon to be corpse in a complete circle.

He raises one arm up in victory as the crowd cheers. He then lands a Francis styled uppercut, dropping his opponent’s body limp.

There was also no ice in the building. We had to negotiate with the food vendors to get a bag of ice for a buddy’s broken hand later in the tournament.

Great times!!!

mma has come a long way

Esi3 - To add some context to that fight, Ben was still in high school, and it was his very first amateur fight, in a tournament format to boot. The fat kid and his friend, who also was "fighting", where arguing in the back over which one got to fight Ben. Fat kid won and ended up stepping in the cage with a future UFC heavyweight. You must realize this was back in 99 when people did not really know anything about MMA (NHB back then). Believe it or not but Ben was freaked out too (he was a high school kid going to fight people in a cage). Ben went on to fight a grown man in the finals and knock him out on the ground with open hand strikes.

Not sure where this took place but before there was an Athletic Commission in WI this shit was common well after 1999 in a couple of promotions I won’t mention.

Corey -
Esi3 - To add some context to that fight, Ben was still in high school, and it was his very first amateur fight, in a tournament format to boot. The fat kid and his friend, who also was "fighting", where arguing in the back over which one got to fight Ben. Fat kid won and ended up stepping in the cage with a future UFC heavyweight. You must realize this was back in 99 when people did not really know anything about MMA (NHB back then). Believe it or not but Ben was freaked out too (he was a high school kid going to fight people in a cage). Ben went on to fight a grown man in the finals and knock him out on the ground with open hand strikes.

Not sure where this took place but before there was an Athletic Commission in WI this shit was common well after 1999 in a couple of promotions I won’t mention.

I don’t think Ben was in high school during this fight.  Ben was born in 1981 and this happened in 2001 Ben would have been 20 or going on 20.That’s Anthony Furgeson he is fighting. He went 2-16.

Fat kids name is nick bartlett, first fight, amateur June of 1999. We graduated high school in 2000, so this would have been the summer between our junior and senior years.

Dan Severn and Rich Franklin fought on this card, according to Sherdog