Bench does not = punching power

"Still though, I'm thinking anybody that could throw up 300+ lbs would still hit hard enough to make the argument a moot point in a streetfight."

totally disagree. i sparred my roommate back when i was in the college dorms, who could bench press well over 300+ lbs, this was a big strong dude to the rest of us there. on the otherhand, i didn't do much benching, but hit the heavy bag every other day. when we were trading shots, i was easily able to take his punches. him on the otherhand, i was able to stun him a few times, including dropping him which ended our sparring session. i'm maybe 30-40 lbs lighter than him and can bench no where near the amount he can, but i could hit a hell of a lot harder than him.

in fact i've sparred with an amatuer boxer who was much lighter than me, who hit WAY harder than my roommate. the point is, he was not trained to throw a hard powerful punch, he was training to increase the amount of weight he can push off his chest. equating the power of your punch with your bench is asinine if you ask me.

Look at www.streetboxer.com for all the proof you need.