Benefits of a Corner Press?

I've seen them done in many Boxing/MMA S&C videos, but what are the benefits of them? And how do they cross over to Boxing/MMA?

Do you mean where you put a barbell end in a corner, and press the other end?

Yes.

Strengthens the triceps, shoulders, chest(to some extent) and core. It is more shoulder friendly than overhead pressing.

cross lateral exercises

RobinHood -
Leigh - Wtf is a core? Phone Post

The middle bit. Phone Post

Yeah I agree.

It really works my spleen. Phone Post

Lmao ^ Phone Post

The biggest benefit is free range of motion and stability. It you are using a standard bar, the fat grip is also good for hand and wrist strengthening as well. <br /><br />Cressey did a write up on a split stance, rear leg kneeling variation of this which I really like. When I did it I really noticed hip flexor activation for stability, which is a nice bonus. Also, moves the press more towards an overhead press.

Edit - And to answer your question, this exercise has no special benefit for fighting. Just a good pressing variation.

Leigh - Wtf is a core?

The core is all the muscles that attach to your hip, pelvis and lower back.

I'm guessing you already know this though and were just joking.

I do many exercises with a half-bar like this. Angling your body so that you corner-press slightly inward is an awesome exercise for the chest as well.

Leigh - 
acid jazz - 
Leigh - Wtf is a core?

The core is all the muscles that attach to your hip, pelvis and lower back.

I'm guessing you already know this though and were just joking.

Well I think the term is vague. If you mean abs, say abs. If you mean, lumbar, then say that. I get people say to me all the time (I've had a couple this week) how they work their core with stuff like planks etc. Bollocks, you're working fuck all with that garbage and certainly not every muscle in your lower torso
I see what you're saying. Not everyone agrees on what the core actually is.(<-I know my grammar sucks.) Alwyn Cosgrove recently added the lats into the mix for his definition of the core.

I do "core" on mondays, every other day during the week I don't use it, I just keep it relaxed when I squat and Deadlift.

jeremy hamilton - I do "core" on mondays, every other day during the week I don't use it, I just keep it relaxed when I squat and Deadlift.

LOL, I take it you don't like the term either. Of course, squats and deads are exercises that work the core.

You definitely dont NEED to have planks in a well planned workout routine. Actually, in a well planned routine, you shouldnt have to put much focus on ab specific movements at all. I will bet that Leigh and Jeremy can hold a plank longer than 90% of the people who spend days on end training abs, even though it doesnt sound like they spend sufficient time training their cores.

Core is a good word for personal trainers and fitness "experts" who dont really understand what the various abdominal muscles are or how they work. It works in leymans terms, but dont try to have an intelligent discussion about training and use that word.

When people start telling me about core and how they train their core (no squats or deads) and how I should train mine, I just ask them if they want to take turns punching each other in the stomach and see who's hurt more. That usually shuts them up and they probably start thinking.

LiftStrong - You definitely dont NEED to have planks in a well planned workout routine. Actually, in a well planned routine, you shouldnt have to put much focus on ab specific movements at all. I will bet that Leigh and Jeremy can hold a plank longer than 90% of the people who spend days on end training abs, even though it doesnt sound like they spend sufficient time training their cores.

Core is a good word for personal trainers and fitness "experts" who dont really understand what the various abdominal muscles are or how they work. It works in leymans terms, but dont try to have an intelligent discussion about training and use that word.
You mentioned Cressey earlier. He is a respectable trainer that uses the term. It is all just semantics anyway. I never knew anyone had a problem with the term.

Yeah, lots of smart strength coaches use the term when writing open articles for the general public. If you have a conversation with them, you arent going to hear them say that a movement targets the "core". Maybe I was being a little confusing.

A lot of shitty trainers who really dont know what they are talking about constantly use the term "core" when they dont know the difference between the obliques and rectus abdominis for instance. Every muscle becomes the core. I think that is why a lot of people hate the term.

Leigh,

Come on man, you know you can't compare yourself to an everyday average Joe who is looking to get into better shape or "tone up" or whatever their goals might be.

Progression is the name of the game. I don't doubt you can probably bury the perfect plank for 5 minutes and not break a sweat. You know damn well that doesn't mean it's a worthless exercise and should be completely discarded from the world of strength training.

Or are you just trolling for fun?

LiftStrong - Yeah, lots of smart strength coaches use the term when writing open articles for the general public. If you have a conversation with them, you arent going to hear them say that a movement targets the "core". Maybe I was being a little confusing.

A lot of shitty trainers who really dont know what they are talking about constantly use the term "core" when they dont know the difference between the obliques and rectus abdominis for instance. Every muscle becomes the core. I think that is why a lot of people hate the term.
Sounds like the problem is shitty trainers more than the term itself.

I worked in a gym for 4 years and I lifted in that gym. I always had people giving me advice for no fucking reason. It actually bottles my mind the things people have said to me. Everything from telling me train on a BOSU to telling me that doing cardio will help my lifting. These are the kinds of people that would tell me about core this and core that.

I have no idea why people choose to tell me things. Everyone is an expert I guess.