Benson deserves more respect

i thoguth both of their faces and expressions afterward looked correct

Ben has always deserved more than he gets in my opinion. Guy is very skilled. I kinda get how some people think him as odd and dislike him, especially because of some close decisions. Personally I thought that one of the Frankie fights was clearly win for Frankie. But other I can deal with.

Some people call him boring... But he has had plenty of great fights. His first fight with Donald Cerrone was one of the best fights of year 2009. Very exciting one.

In his second Cerrone fight, he submitted him under 2 minutes of the fight. Thats not an easy thing to do.

He also had submitted Anthony Njokuani and Jamie Varner and TKO'd Shane Roller, although he did get dropped in that fight himself to be honest.

His fight with Pettis was legendary and very, very close, that kick in the end sealed it to Pettis.

I also enjoyed Nate Diaz fight. It was legendary moment when Nate trash talked him and Benson knocked him down like a boss.

His UFC fights have been mostly decisions but I have still enjoyed a lot of them. One of the reasons is his technique.

Benson Henderson is a complete MMA fighter. He has good striking, great grappling and good clinch game. His techniques are beautiful, I especially love that sweeping low kick that he sometimes uses to drop his opponents with. And his other kicking techniques are beautiful too. And this man has a lot of potential in him.

I love Cerrone but I honestly thought that Bendo won the fight. But it is what it is. I hope Ben will bounce back and have a good win on his next fight. He lost to RDA, but thats not a shame. He will be back stronger than ever.

WAR BEN HENDERSON

In my opinion, the problem with Benson isn't just his decision-fighting, it's that he drags others into fighting that way as well. He's so hard to finish and so adept at swaying the judges that his opponents, in fear of losing a decision, seem to get caught up in not losing rounds, and from there, things quickly descend into a conservative, point-scoring contest. Benson may not be the most outright boring fighter, but I think he's the king of making things more dull than they should be.

Great post Heikki, Benson is a great and entertaining fighter. Just gets so much heat for getting a few close decisions and beating up fan favorites. You don't get two FOTYs if you're boring, especially against two of the best LW's on the planet.

Bendo seriously gets no respect on here. Dudes a beast. He was beating people while having a toothpick in his mouth. I feel this fight was close but he should've gotten the nod. Phone Post 3.0

Lick Boners - 
Simen - Henderson fights like someone who doesnt want to fight imo. More focused on evading than engaging, and occasionally throwing something wild. Not entertaining to watch. Phone Post 3.0

Weird that the guy that doesn't want to fight did the best damage of the fight in the 3rd round... And the one trying to get takedowns was Cerrone. Lol.

Zeph - Bendo fought a great fight and really frustrated Cowboy. In the first round Bendo managed to land a flush straight right on Cowboy when he went for an intercepting knee and after that Cowboy didn't throw it again that I can remember. That knee has been instrumental in the resurgent Cowboy and how he has kept strikers at range and stopped the takedowns.

I think Cowboy was expecting Bendo to be shooting takedowns constantly, but Bendo really threw him off with his new range of techniques. He made Cowboy hesitant to throw and beat him to the strike for most of the fight.

Cowboy had his most success when he didn't wait to counter, but led himself. I really think it is a mental block that is affecting Cowboy in his fights with Bendo now. Perhaps it is the fact they are so friendly or that he had lost the previous two, but there was so little aggression. I feel like he was waiting for things to happen, whereas he should be forcing the action, as he is much better on the front foot and coming forward. Although, this is much easier to say than do against someone of Bendo's calibre.

Good observations! I think there was a lot going on there and we needed 5 but Ben took. Cowboy off his game and. Cowboy has had all the ring time recently and has been kicking ass.

ausgepicht - Boring Henderson would get more respect if he came to fight instead of manipulate the judges and crowd. He should cut his hair so he stops manicuring himself while fighting, and he can focus on fighting.

Keep pointing to sky daddy Boring, he's not helping you. Focus on fighting.

He was the only guy that rocked the other, off a high kick to boot. If Cowboy did that, you guys would have pointed that out ten fold. Ben won, Ben outstruck Cowboy. Cowboy was trying to take Ben down. Nothing wrong with that but if your eyes that shoulda meant Cowboy was trying to manipulate the judges...

frederic - Wonder how the judges viewed the front leg sidekick to Cowboy's lead leg. Space keeping or damaging? It made up a lot of Benson's attacks and we were all colored by the commentary... but if the judges didn't see it that way...

Both imo but more as spacing like leg jabs but like jabs to set other stuff up. Not sure what the big deal is, it was Ben in control of the riddum and space and setting other stuff up imo when he was doing that. I think it threw Cowboy off his riddum.

Proteus The Invincible - In my opinion, the problem with Benson isn't just his decision-fighting, it's that he drags others into fighting that way as well. He's so hard to finish and so adept at swaying the judges that his opponents, in fear of losing a decision, seem to get caught up in not losing rounds, and from there, things quickly descend into a conservative, point-scoring contest. Benson may not be the most outright boring fighter, but I think he's the king of making things more dull than they should be.

What does this mean? Did Ben clinch Cowboy all night? Against the cage? Did he make it a BJJ match? The only guy that clinched was Cowboy (and not that there is anything wrong with that). When Ben was trying to take off Cowboy's head with those right hooks or kicks to the body or high kick to the head....were those all decision fighting techs? When Cowboy was rocked, the only guy to get rocked in the fight, was that decision fighting too?

Bendo outstruck a Cowboy on fire.

Yet people are still talking the usual shit.

ausgepicht - Boring Henderson would get more respect if he came to fight instead of manipulate the judges and crowd. He should cut his hair so he stops manicuring himself while fighting, and he can focus on fighting.

Keep pointing to sky daddy Boring, he's not helping you. Focus on fighting.
That last line there exposed why you really don't like him. Phone Post 3.0

Vu op. I agree Phone Post 3.0

i thought he looked great last night.

normally he has kind of a slow pace, but he really pushed it the whole fight. and throwing real power punches for once, and different kicks altogether.

i love Cerrone, but thought he got the decision solely for a couple takedowns that didn't result in anything...

i wonder where Bendo goes from here. i thought he had talked about going up to 170 a while back....

Ben may like Mendes at FW, wont get another shot with the current champ soon but may be the 2nd best? He could rematch Gil again. Cowboy was the 2nd hottest elite LW after Pettis and Ben stopped that streak.

BshMstr - i thought he looked great last night.

normally he has kind of a slow pace, but he really pushed it the whole fight. and throwing real power punches for once, and different kicks altogether.

i love Cerrone, but thought he got the decision solely for a couple takedowns that didn't result in anything...

i wonder where Bendo goes from here. i thought he had talked about going up to 170 a while back....

http://lowkickmma.com/UFC/benson-henderson-planning-move-welterweight/

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/jack-slack-how-conor-mcgregor-dispatched-of-dennis-siver

"?While Henderson got the better of the kickboxing for the most part...At the end of fifteen thoughtful, entertaining minutes, Cerrone was awarded the decision and moved to 1-2 against Henderson. The decision was a little unexpected, but certainly not a robbery."

Lick Boners - But I did score the fight for Cerrone with the first two rounds, Cerrone stole that second with the nice takedown in my eyes

A TD doesn't mean much to me if nothing becomes of it.

I scored it 29-28 Bendo, but this is arguable from either direction. Sad this wasn't a 5 rounder or it would have been more definitive.

Id have to rewatch R2 but Ben did get up right away. Everything counts but in the context of who did more in the overall round. I think Ben did enough striking to outscore Cowboy including the td.

ender852 - Bendo should have won all three rounds, bad decision. Phone Post 3.0