Bent rod in engine? TME

Bought a truck with a 4.3 vortec in it, apparently there's a bent rod in the engine? I'm just wondering what that means exactly, and if it's worth trying to get repaired or even feasible, or I should go try and source another engine.

It means, that inside the engine, one of the rods is bent. 

bent rod? engine is fucked

full size? go with a 350 crate motor

Just bend it back straight with a hammer.

Push rod or connecting rod?

Curtis_E_Bare -

Just bend it back straight with a hammer.

Bend an engine rod back straight? With a fucking hammer?!? Are you trolling???

Use your hands, pussy

Have to also consider what bent the rod in the first place. Like possibly water got into the cylinder which might mean other problems. Good thing is that 4.3L is just a 350 with 2 cylinders cut off which makes them about the cheapest to buy parts for.

Ramon Maroni - bent rod? engine is fucked

full size? go with a 350 crate motor
Nah, it's for a sonoma. And I actually looked in to swapping in a 350 but that looks ridiculously hard.

Paging GreyBush

Did you know about said bent rod when purchasing? Basically, your motor is fucked.

player101 -

Did you know about said bent rod when purchasing? Basically, your motor is fucked.

Yeah, got it for basically nothing. It's actually a decent 4x4 5 speed, but obviously going to have to put some time and money in to it.

If it's a connecting rod that's bad. 

If it's a push rod, if there's no other damage, replace it and keep on going. Overrevving can bend those, course so can a piston smacking a valve. Replace and compression test or better yet so a leak down test. 

KungFuCow -

If it's a push rod, if there's no other damage, replace it and keep on going. Overrevving can bend those, course so can a piston smacking a valve. Replace and compression test or better yet so a leak down test. 

Alright, what would be the best way to diagnose it properly?

John Travoltage -
KungFuCow -

Alright, what would be the best way to diagnose it properly?

take off value covers and run engine. you might????? be able to see it.

really though, you should remove rocker arm and pull the rods (youtube).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gepecaxBbBs

you dont want to disturb the lifter or your fucked. happened to me and i wasnt going to rip the engine apart so i ran on 7 instead of 8 cylnders.

if its piston rods, should knock loud vibrate, if its real bad a compression test would tell because youre not hitting TDC

ttt