Berkley to have unarmed worker do traffic stops?

After hours of emotional public testimony and a middle-of-the-night vote by Berkeley leaders, the progressive California city is moving forward with a novel proposal to replace police with unarmed civilians during traffic stops in a bid to curtail racial profiling.

The City Council early Wednesday approved a police reform proposal that calls for a public committee to hash out details of a new Berkeley Police Department that would not respond to calls involving people experiencing homelessness or mental illness. The committee also would pursue creating a separate department to handle transportation planning and enforcing parking and traffic laws.

The council voted for the committee to find ways to eventually cut the Police Department’s budget by half and approved an analysis of police calls and spending.

A tired but excited Berkeley Mayor Jesse Arreguin said he doesn’t expect a new transportation department overnight because conversations will be hard and detailed with complicated logistics to figure out. But he said communities of color in his city feel targeted by police and that needs to change.

“There may be situations where police do need to intervene, and so we need to look at all that,” he said. “We need to look at if we do move traffic enforcement out of the Police Department, what does that relationship look like and how will police officers work in coordination with unarmed traffic enforcement personnel?”

It’s believed the plan to separate traffic enforcement from police is the first of its kind in the U.S. and comes as many cities seek broad public safety reforms, including reducing law enforcement budgets, following the May 25 death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police. Fans of the proposal cheered its passage even as some called for greater cuts to police.

It could take months, even years, to create a new department, but police and other law enforcement experts rebuked the idea as dangerous, not only for traffic safety but for the people tasked with pulling over drivers, who they say can be dangerous.

“I think what Berkeley is doing is nuts,” said Mark Cronin, a director with the Los Angeles Police Protective League, a union for officers. “I think it’s a big social experiment. I think it’s going to fail and it’s not going to take long for, unfortunately, traffic collisions, fatalities to increase exponentially.”

Cronin, a former traffic officer, said cities can’t rely on unattended traffic signals or camera lights to catch bad drivers and that people are needed to educate motorists on safe driving. But those people also need backup and the authority to arrest should they encounter a driver who is intoxicated, armed and fleeing a crime, or wanted on other charges.

“Traffic stops are one of the most unpredictable and therefore dangerous duties of law enforcement. There is no such thing as a routine traffic stop and to perform them effectively and safely takes months of police training in and outside of an academy,” said Frank Merenda, a former New York City Police Department captain who is an assistant professor of criminal justice at Marist College.

2 Likes

Who Would do this job for 20 an hour?  Perfect job for Angryitch

8 Likes

What could go wrong?

LOL do these retards realize how many violent encounters with police begin with traffic stops?

6 Likes

Wait, so I'm supposed to pull over and stop for a civilian? A traffic stop is a Terry stop. If you aren't a certified and sworn officer of the law, you can't be detaining anyone. 

Follow me to Arizona, asshole, because I'm not stopping for you. How about you call a social worker and we can talk about my feelings?

7 Likes

White people will stop and comply. 

3 Likes

Why would anyone comply with laws if there was no threat of force in enforcing them?

1 Like

Soul Gravy - Why would anyone comply with laws if there was no threat of force in enforcing them?

Because they would call the cops if you ignored them,  and you were white

1 Like

Lefties are so much like children in the way they think. They just don't understand human nature. They always try these ill-concieved experiments and are suprised when they don't work.

6 Likes

Where do I sign up for this? I'm sure like most Berkeley city jobs, it'll pay you over $80,000, pension, retirement plan and great health benefits. I'm in! Don't expect me to issue tickets to anyone but Tesla drivers.

1 Like

Wow, like driving through Berkeley wasn't already a shitshow!! Oakland and Albany police should just stand at the Berserkeley borders with nets.

shen - 
Lefties are so much like children in the way they think. They just don't understand human nature. They always try these ill-concieved experiments and are suprised when they don't work.

they are legit possessed

spiritually sick individuals, shen

2 Likes

VTCO - 

LOL do these retards realize how many violent encounters with police begin with traffic stops?

They are simply not stop black people, so there will be a lot less violence. Win/win.

People will just stop registering, insuring, and inspecting their cars and renewing their drivers' licenses, no big deal

and then they will pass the cost of all the uninsured accidents on to the people who actually insure their shit, again, no big deal

Someone about to get stabbed by an AIDS needle or beaten into a coma. 

ScreenName22 -

Lol who's going to pull over for some "citizen"?

White people, the only people they will target.

I interviewed a 15 year Sheriff for my podcast and asked him about this. He said he's personally found guys with multiple murder charges, probation violations waiting to go back to jail, and shit ton of drugs...all from tail lights being out, the slightest swerved at 3am, and running stop signs.

Good luck to the unarmed good samaritan pulling them over.

Why would I pull over? Are they going to call the cops if I don’t? Lol

What is happening

ThePigpen - I interviewed a 15 year Sheriff for my podcast and asked him about this. He said he's personally found guys with multiple murder charges, probation violations waiting to go back to jail, and shit ton of drugs...all from tail lights being out, the slightest swerved at 3am, and running stop signs.

Good luck to the unarmed good samaritan pulling them over.

"Hello? Yes, this is Unarmed Civilian Kevin calling for police backup. I pulled a man over for running a stop sign and now he's pointing a gun at me...and how his passenger is pointing a gun at me...the person in the back seat is drinking...they're all laughing...and starting to drive awa...

...hold on..."

"SIR! You can't drive away, please wait for the authorities!"

"Yes, I'm telling him he has to sto..."

"SIR! I said you can't drive away!"

"You need to hurry, I don't think he's going t..."

"SIR!"

sounds of gunshots

2 Likes