Best $10 you spend today

OG Brothers and Sisters - I am a proud New Mexican and my life was nearly ruined by DWI. In my case, the offender was killed and I survived, which is rare, but how every story should end. There are literally hundreds of thousands of stories of DWI in New Mexico. Stories of loss and despair. Stories of incredible sadness. There are also stories of hope. Stories of remarkable recovery in the face of tremendous odds. These are OUR stories.

Even if you've never been popped for a DWI. Even if you've never lost a loved one, DWI has impacted your life. Some of my family members weren't as lucky as me when our crash happened, and they're gone forever. But I'm still here. here to raise my daughter. Here to support my wife.

I can't tell you where I would be without MADD. I know they get a bad rap - which is fair. They used to be a neo-prohibitionist organization, but that has changed. The small office of MADD in New Mexico is staffed with the biggest-hearted, most caring people on the planet. Their passion is to help those in their darkest hour, and they raise the spirits of so many people in my state.

I invite you to join me in supporting the NM MADD office. Join me in investing in a future free of substance-impaired traffic violence. We will see an end to DWI in my lifetime - guaranteed. If nothing else, Google cars will dead this. In the meantime, over 10,000 people a year die in the US and 300,000 are injured.

Even if you don't live in New Mexico, please donate $10 to the office that saved my life, so they can save another life.

You have to donate before 12-midnight mountain time - it's part of the Give Local America movement, which is another amazing accomplishment for my poor state - over $500K raised for nonprofits!

Go to www.givegrandenm.org and select MADD from the dropdown menu. Tomorrow it will be back to penis jokes and VUs for good cleavage pics, but today, please support those that keep faith alive for so many people in the state I love.

Many thanks to my OG breathren

Up. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks, BD. Same to you. Phone Post 3.0

MADD saved your life?

No props to the doctors and hospital staff for that?

My injuries weren't that bad - just enough to keep me out of work for 2 months. MADD helped me to get financial aid (the good AIDS) and helped me put the pieces back together. Flesh heals quicker than spirit, friend. Phone Post 3.0

Every year except 2014 I posted a don't smoke and drive thread on 4/20 and it brought out the morons from under their rocks. I hope it doesn't happen here.

VU and will donate.

Don't drive impaired people.

how about an end to using smartphone/cellphone type devices when driving!

If MADD would stop lobbying for sobriety checkpoints I would consider supporting them. Drunk driving is a problem and I would love to find a way to stop it, but American law enforcement doesn't need another excuse to harrass us. In the mean time it's worth everone's time to look at everything MADD does politically before deciding to donate. Phone Post 3.0

I'm anti-drunk driving and my friend's fiancee was killed by a drunk driver, but I can't support a group that is pro random checkpoints, increased beer taxes, and having all new cars made with breathalyzers.

Autonomous cars are the quickest path to solving this problem.

It took me awhile to realize you didn't just become a Mexican Phone Post 3.0

Sobriety checkpoints are an effective way of stopping drunk driving... Inconvenient and probably some LEOs push it to infringe on your rights, but they work. Fact.

The passive interlock device that MADD is working on will be seamless and will detect BAC from the push-button ignition. You won't even know it's there until you're too drunk to drive home. It MIGHT add to the cost of a vehicle, but people bitched about that with seatbelts and then with airbags too... Could you imagine someone bitchin' about seatbelts now?

I bet fully/partially automated cars nearly beat it to market, as Google and DARPA have money, but we'll see.

Thanks to all those who don't lose the forest for the trees. Phone Post 3.0

Also, this money stays with the New Mexico office for programs and victim services. Not a cent goes to National, which means no lobbying. I will tell you that went to the Roundhouse in Santa Fe during the last legislative session as a volunteer and shared my story to try to get a bill passed to close loopholes in offenders installing interlock devices, but that was on my own. Interlocks work too.

That being said, I definitely also recommend checking out any nonprofit before donating. But do it before midnight mountain time! Phone Post 3.0

GettaJaab - Sobriety checkpoints are an effective way of stopping drunk driving... Inconvenient and probably some LEOs push it to infringe on your rights, but they work. Fact.

The passive interlock device that MADD is working on will be seamless and will detect BAC from the push-button ignition. You won't even know it's there until you're too drunk to drive home. It MIGHT add to the cost of a vehicle, but people bitched about that with seatbelts and then with airbags too... Could you imagine someone bitchin' about seatbelts now?

I bet fully/partially automated cars nearly beat it to market, as Google and DARPA have money, but we'll see.

I feel like it's being shoved down my throat now. A good time to stop being so abrasive Phone Post 3.0

Kazp306 - OPs mom gave me 5 Blumpkins Phone Post 3.0
I only got 3 and she let me give her a golden shower :-( Phone Post 3.0

I worked with a guy who used his kids to bypass his interlock. Disgusting.

YourStoryisCoolBro -
GettaJaab - Sobriety checkpoints are an effective way of stopping drunk driving... Inconvenient and probably some LEOs push it to infringe on your rights, but they work. Fact.

I feel like it's being shoved down my throat now. A good time to stop being so abrasive Phone Post 3.0
Just sharing facts, bud. Don't donate if you don't want to. These people helped me when I needed them and I want to help them. Nothing abrasive about it. Phone Post 3.0

Thatsjustlikeyouropionman -

This is a scary mindset. I bet you'd let a cop search your anus if he asked. Phone Post 3.0
Is that how your mom met your dad? Phone Post 3.0

MADD supports gun control, not giving them a dime sorry Phone Post 3.0

Mew Nexican here also. Phone Post 3.0