best and safest upper body press exercise

i'm getting older and these days i've become more concerned with safety and longevity.

i used to do a lot of heavy upper body stuff like bench press and military presses but i gave them both up a while back to to concerns that they were the cause of some injuries (shoulder and neck). so i got rid of them and the only upper body "push" exercise i've been doing is pushups.

well now i feel like i've maxed out on pushups. my shoudler and neck issues also feel a lot better. so i'm looking to add another press exercise to my routine.

i've been "researching" online and it seems like everybody, even the experts, say different shit. a lot of people say that you shouldn't bench press because if will definitely fuck up your shoulders in the long run. other people think that bench is the premier push exercise.

the same shit with the overhead press. some people say that if you're going to do one upper body exercise, it shoudl be the OHP. others say that OHP is guaranteed to fuck up your shoudlers in the long run.

what do you guys think? if you had to minimize your upper body press work to 1 exercise, what would it be?

weighted dips. Honestly, perhaps the only exercise that works the chest as well as the bench, and will help with triceps, shoulders and back too.

Use dumb bells while pressing. A lot netter on the shoulder more range of movement. Phone Post

IMO overhead pressing has had major rehabilatative effects on my shoulders, moreso than conventional RC exercises have.

I'm a fan of the "arnold press"... I know a lot of close-minded guys will dismiss it just because it was popularized by a bodybuiler, not a strength athlete. But try it; for sheer range of movement, it's hard to beat. The inherent instability of using dumbells further reduces the strain your connective tissues will endure (ie using a barbell you'd be lifting bigger loads)

Two good pieces of advice above - dumbbells and/or weighted dips.

I would also add go rotator cuff exercises and warmups.

Do have acess to a good S&C coach in your area? They should be able to tell you within 2 minutes what your issues are i.e. postural/muscle imbalances/technique issues/program design.

All of those play into how much potential harm your doing with a partcular exercise.

That being said, my 1 upper body press would be the bench press.

yeah all those exercises can be safe or can ruin you. You need to find what works for you or what is causing those exercises to damage you.

ttt

I've found incline barbell/dumbell presses to be the safest for my shoulders. Results may vary but I think the incline has a lot to recommend it -- greater rom keeps you honest and recruits more tissue than flat bench, more stability and easier on the shoulder than overhead presses.

Keep to slow and controlled movements with whatever it is you're doing and you will minimize injury.

Putting a bench at a slight incline can help with some of the shoulder problems people have with a bench press movement.

Slow your pushups down...

it isn't just performing the exercises that bothers me. i'm also concerned that long term heavy pressing can cause some type of muscle imbalance that will fuck up the shoulder. can this happen or am i just imagining things?

ultimatestreetfighter - it isn't just performing the exercises that bothers me. i'm also concerned that long term heavy pressing can cause some type of muscle imbalance that will fuck up the shoulder. can this happen or am i just imagining things?

it can, if you're not balancing it with equal pulling

If you wanted to stick to bodyweight exercises you could do handstand pushups.  Balance isn't an issue if you kick up against a wall.

Barbell press doesn't bother my shoulders, but bench press complete and utterly fucks up my RCs. As I've gotten older even a single wide grip pushup hurts, I can only do pushups with my elbows tucked into my side.

OHP in which the fulcrum is on the ground allows for an angled pushing direction that i find is much friendlier on the shoulders, ie. a picnic table end, barbell wedged into a corner etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioEgXZO76aI

as seen here in the end of the video

Jacks Wasted Life -  If you wanted to stick to bodyweight exercises you could do handstand pushups.  Balance isn't an issue if you kick up against a wall.

I too find handstand pushups to be excellent for shoulder health.

I've never heard of anyone tearing a pec doing dumbbell bench presses.

banco - I've never heard of anyone tearing a pec doing dumbbell bench presses.

Its possible, but damned unlikely because most people who can handle enough weight to tear a pec doing DB bench are smart enough to know how to dump the damned weight properly.

ubik - "Two good pieces of advice above - dumbbells and/or weighted dips.

I would also add rotator cuff exercises and warmups."

agree