best and safest upper body press exercise

DB incline bench presses are my favorite for the reasons others have stated. Phone Post

I spent years in denial that I'd still be able to bench, neither dumbbells or inclines worked for me. I must have some weird ass shoulders to still be able to do military presses.

Chocolate Shatner - weighted dips. Honestly, perhaps the only exercise that works the chest as well as the bench, and will help with triceps, shoulders and back too.

This.

freefaller21 - 
Chocolate Shatner - weighted dips. Honestly, perhaps the only exercise that works the chest as well as the bench, and will help with triceps, shoulders and back too.

This.

how deep are you guys going on dips? any tips for technique? like someone else noted, dips feel like they put a lot of stress on my shoulders.

weighted dips are great but far from safe. They can be absolute hell on the shoulders, sternum and ribcage if you are using appreciable resistance but for mass and strenth there is nothing better.

been trying out the dumbbell lifts. i don't know, but it seems like my shoulders like the barbells more. anybody else like this? with the dumbbells, i feel like all of the instability (i.e. trying to stabilize the free weight) puts extra stress on my bum shoulder. i don't even feel like i'm pushing heavy weight either.

ultimatestreetfighter - 
freefaller21 - 

This.

how deep are you guys going on dips? any tips for technique? like someone else noted, dips feel like they put a lot of stress on my shoulders.

UFS, there are those who say that for a proper dip, you should go until you can "pinch paper" in the inside of your elbow joint. I personally do not, but I do go more than 90 degrees. My main limitation is the place I have to do dips, I already have to tuck my legs under me, and I basically lower myself until my knees touch the floor, and then up.

I would say anywhere in a comfortable range between 80 degrees (just past a right angle) and full depth, whatever is comfortable for you. However, try to work lower as you get better at them.

gymnast rings 2 feet off the ground with my feet on a bench pushups have been great to my fucked up shoulders.

It's been my experience that most people love to push, but few spend as much time on pulls. not suprisingly, people have issues with overuse, unbalanced etc..

horizontal push (bench), horizontal pull (rows).  vertical push (press) vertical pull (chins)   IMHO

give your upper back some love.

With presses I gave up on the bar. Too many tweeks in my shoulder. I use only dumbbells now. they allow for range of movement and also recruit the stabilizer muslces in. yeah sure you cant push up the same overall weight as on a bar but its better and more functional.

BTW, imo dumbells will not create an imbalance of one arm doing more than the other, they both have to function individually.