Best BJJ books

Hey guys, I'm sure this has been covered before... But I can't search from the app.

A good friend of mine suffered a facial injury a few days ago. He can't work or train right now and he's pretty down on himself. I want to get him a few books to read during his recovery. Any recommendations on good Grappling related books? Training manuals, biographies, philosophy, any style is good. Phone Post 3.0

Jiu-Jitsu University - Saulo Ribeiro

Mastering Jujitsu - Renzo Gracie

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Submission Grappling Techniques - Royler Grace

Kimura: The Triumphs and Tragedy of One of Judo's Greatest and Most Controversial Judo Champions - Christopher M. Clarke

The Gracie Way - Kid Peligro

The Guard

Passing the Guard

Strategic Guard

All by Joe Moreira and Ed Beneville - all 3 are excellent.

I think they're all out of print now, so they're stupid expensive.

I'm sure I have all 3, but for the live of me can't find passing the guard.  I'm going to tear my house apart to find it one day.

Jiu-Jistsu University is amazing.

SilcStar -

The Guard

Passing the Guard

Strategic Guard

I'm sure I have all 3, but for the live of me can't find passing the guard.  I'm going to tear my house apart to find it one day.

What he said! If you can find them, make sure they are all 2nd Edition. Phone Post 3.0

the 3 choque books

Wth the back on the ground

Carlos Gracie, creator of a fighting dynasty

the toughest man who ever lived.

^a historical novel about count koma

Billy Riley. the man, the legacy.

^Riley was the founder of the famous gym in Wigan that influenced japanese mma heavily

Another one I really like is

The blackbelt blueprint by Nicolas Gregoriades

It's different, and I wouldn't expect the visual walkthrough of positions like in the other books mentioned, but I like his thought process.

'Jiu Jitsu University' is easily the best instructional book if you want something comprehensive. For something more specific, the aforementioned series by Ed Beneville is excellent, particularly 'Passing the Guard'.

In terms of history, 'Choque' is the best researched (as in it has copious footnotes), but it's very dry (I still enjoyed it, but then I used to reading lots of that kind of thing for my degrees back in the day). For something with more narrative flow, I'd go with 'With the Back on the Ground', though that has much less in the way of footnotes. 'The Toughest Man Who Ever Live' is interesting, but a semi-fictionalised account, so not ideal if you're looking for serious history. Fun read though.

If you can find it, 'The Gracie Way' is a good read too, though heavily biased (not surprising, Kid Peligro is a close friend of the family). The best thing about it is probably all the great photographs. Hopefully one day he'll do a sequel.

There is also lots of interesting history in the second two books of John Will's 'Rogue Black Belt' series, relating anecdotes from his time in the sport (he's one of the Dirty Dozen). It doesn't generally give you dates, but the stories are cool. E.g., training with Renzo and Rigan back in the '80s.

Christian Graugart's 'The BJJ Globetrotter' is another good read, about his round the world trip training at clubs along the way (he did over 100, IIRC). This year, Roy Dean has released 'Becoming the Black Belt', which is a great read too. He sent me a copy to review (should be up in a week or two): enjoyable stuff, which gives you a few tidbits of history as well (from the early 2000s through to today). Interesting stuff on building a school too.

The author of 'Choque' has a book a bit like that too, with a lot more history, called 'Jiu Jitsu in the South Zone'. It's his old articles from Global Training Report, expanded and revamped. Far more readable than 'Choque' as a result, as it's not dominated by stats and figures.

Cauliflower chronicles. A good judo book is the pyjama game. Phone Post 3.0

^The pyjama game is one of my favorite books

Neil Adam's a life in judo

The game of jiu jitsu by Taro Miyake and Yukio Tani

The Canon of Judo, by Mifune

Gracie Jiu Jitsu by Helio

The bible of BJJ by Francisco Mansur

Jiu Jitsu Unleashed
by
Eddie Bravo

In. Phone Post 3.0

In Phone Post 3.0

Falling hard- mark law

In for book suggestions. Phone Post 3.0

Becoming The Black Belt by Roy Dean is a very good read Phone Post 3.0

Renzo and Royler's book is really good. Good pictures and clear explanations. One of the first, and still one of the best.

Angry White Pyjamas is about aikido, but it's a great read.

Sam Sheridan's books (The Fighter's Mind, A Fighter's Heart) are good. I've noticed that people who read them tend to have sad, one-dimensional BJJ games, though.

The Combat Codes is a new sci-fi / action thriller with a lot of BJJ and MMA, written by a brown belt I believe. It's getting talked up a lot on reddit. Worth a look.

I wrote a book called "In the Blue Corner" a couple years ago. It looks like Amazon has it for free on Kindle Unlimited if anyone is interested.

It's mostly about my experience in cornering my buddy for some UFC fights.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Corner-Cornermans-Story-ebook/dp/B00IVO2DFC/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1457366872&sr=8-10&keywords=in+the+blue+corner+book

FLUID BJJ Scrawny "Middle Aged" Guy's Guide to Getting Submissions

Is the best new BJJ Book out! It shows very technical step by step detailed images along with how to train under water for active recovery to sharpen technique while using the water to take pressure off your joints and any injuries you may have so you don't skip a beat. A definite must read! This is what GSP said in the book:

"Karel is one of my favourite training partners. The insights in his book are excellent to learn many techniques for advanced martial artists."
Georges St. Pierre 12 time UFC World Champion, one of the greatest MMA fighters of all time & BJJ Black Belt

http://www.amazon.com/Fluid-BJJ-Scrawny-Getting-Submissions/dp/1523883936/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456843843&sr=8-1&keywords=karel+pravec

creekwarrior2 -
SilcStar -

The Guard

Passing the Guard

Strategic Guard

What he said! If you can find them, make sure they are all 2nd Edition. Phone Post 3.0
I just bought all 3 for $150. Amazon didn't specifies the edition. Is there any major reason you recommend the 2nd edition? Phone Post 3.0