Best Defence to Mount Punches?

When someone's mounted and the top guy's raining punches down, if bottom just covers his head the fight is stopped because he's not defending himself sensibly.

But if he were to try to knee and elbow escape, he'd leave his head open for blows - now that's hardly sensible.

And if he wants to bridge him off, he has to grab an arm - but for that he has to wait for the right opportunity. And that's about timing. But in that time the fight will be stopped.

So what's the best defence to punches in the head - assuming you don't want to open youself up to even more punches int he head?

dont get mounted

So as long as you're willing to take a few shots the ref will look upon your decision favourably?

"Look how smart this fighter is! He's opened himself right up. I'll just see how things pan out for a minute and... whoop... he's knocked out..."

I never fought MMA, but I am often surprised at home many guys get pummeled from the mount without trying to offset the attackers balance with simple hip bumps. A good strong hip bump can be done while covering your face and it can give you (although temporary) a break and set up upa's, elbow escapes, scrambles. Again, I am not saying it is an escape...just saying that if someone was on top of me, and I was defending for my life, I would buck my ass off. If nothing else it would force the other person to base out. Even if they have to put one hand on the floor to punch you with the other...it is still better in my opinion.

you can still keep your head covered and shrimp out...it aint easy and you will have to bridge and shrimp immediately, but you may have to take a shot or two to get back to half guard or guard.

Secure the double-underhooks and pull him down into you, taking away the space for him to effectively throw punches. Hook a leg and bridge and roll or start shrimping out to regain guard/half-guard.

Keep him close when possible. When he breaks free, trap one of his legs with your own and buck up and to that direction.
Another method countering a high mount is the "TK escape" which actually gives you a leg-lock, but minimal leverage to finish it.
Depending on your proficiency (and your opponent's) some guys will give their back up, but just prevent the hooks.

Can also cover up and let the top guy punch himself out or bridge out when he is punching as his base isnt as solid when he's punching. Course, i suppose you can also get caught with a punch or 2.

Another good example is what Anderson Silva did to Lutter. Lots here thought Anderson was getting reamed and on the verge of getting stopped but I dont think I saw Lutter actually connecting with a single punch. Silva had his arms extened and I think Lutter was too upright for his arms to connect on Silva's head. All his punches looked to be fully extened without being in range of Silva's head.

1) Don't get mounted

2) Tie up your opponent's head

3) Be explosive only in the split second window of opportunity your opponent affords you.

"Secure the double-underhooks and pull him down into you, taking away the space for him to effectively throw punches. Hook a leg and bridge and roll or start shrimping out to regain guard/half-guard."

Pretty good, but don't pull him DOWN when you have double underhooks, pull yourself UP. If your opponent arms are in a wide base, you elbow escape one side, then the other. If his hands are in a narrow base, overhook an arm, wrap the head, block his foot on the side of the overhooked arm, and bridge and roll.

Some, like Uno, would also prefer to give their backs because they are virtually unsubmittable from there and usu escape that way.

lol@ anticipating taking big shots from the mount.

"3) Be explosive only in the split second window of opportunity your opponent affords you."

But that's the thing. If you wait for that split second opportunity. That perfect moment when you know you'll bridge him off as perfectly as you know you can... the ref will stop the fight even if he's just punching your arms.

I've seen it several times in the UFC.

Turtling is a good alternative option in a MMA match since it is easier to defend the RNC with the gloves on. In a street fight I wouldnt recommend it though. If someone gets your back you might catch an elbow to the back of the neck.something you dont have to worry about in the cage since its illegal.
I personally prefer holding the opponent with an underhook and head control. I stay tight as possible until the top guy commits to forcing some space between us. Then I explosively shrimp into guard.

"I've seen it several times in the UFC"

You fighting in the UFC? Lower event refs tend to let you get beatup
longer.

I never fought MMA, but I am often surprised at home many guys get pummeled from the mount without trying to offset the attackers balance with simple hip bumps.

I think it was Bas who said you need to bridge like crazy.

See also Mario Sperry's escape - put your hands on his hips, bridge and push. Yes you will take punches but not power shots.

I was MMA sparring last night with a buddy, mounted him and was trying to rain down punches but he got a lovely elbow-knee escape on me - I was too off balance and worried about losing the mount to hit him

I think over under is better for bridging out of mount as opposed to double underhooks.You can pin an arm and stop them from posting.

"I never fought MMA, but I am often surprised at home many guys get pummeled from the mount without trying to offset the attackers balance with simple hip bumps."

I agree 100%, y take shots when you don't have to, hip bump, stop the barrage, then work an escape, I think Bisping said it best when he said, doing jiu-jitsu is one thing, but doing jiu-jitsu when getting your face smashed is completly different.

Front full nelson?

Bucking your hips up is the correct thing to do if he is low on your hips. If he is low on your hips by bucking and bridging he will have to put his hands down on the matt to aviod his head hiting the ground then from there you can tie him up, trap a arm and roll, or try to push his hips back and pull guard! When you buck he is off balance and cant punch as well and will most likely put his hands on the mat to mantain balance take advantage of that!