Best ever runs at LW?

Gaethje over Ferguson is the best performance I’ve ever seen at LW.

1 Like

Although they never won titles Maynard, Sotropolis, and Miller all had very impressive runs 

wiggum - Gaethje over Ferguson is the best performance I've ever seen at LW.

That was phenomenal.  If he keeps fighting smart I think he can be added to this list soon.

1. tony.  He’s beat a whose who with a crazy win streak.  Only thing marring it is he didn’t win the title.  If you count the interim then great.

2.  Penn.  people are sleeping on BJ just because of when it was and the talent pool was different back then.

3.  Pettis is under rated here because of injury’s, layoffs, and how sharply he declined.  But the way he was finishing fights on his way to the title up until finishing Henderson was amazing.

Benson doesn’t belong on anyone’s list imo.  Point fighter who was gifted a lot of questionable decisions.

Great thread BTW.

Brian McLaughlin - 

Although they never won titles Maynard, Sotropolis, and Miller all had very impressive runs 

For sure.

None of them have cases that they are in the top 3 and that was my criteria for including. But, you’re right.

Darth Potato - 
wiggum - Gaethje over Ferguson is the best performance I've ever seen at LW.

That was phenomenal.  If he keeps fighting smart I think he can be added to this list soon.

1. tony.  He’s beat a whose who with a crazy win streak.  Only thing marring it is he didn’t win the title.  If you count the interim then great.

2.  Penn.  people are sleeping on BJ just because of when it was and the talent pool was different back then.

3.  Pettis is under rated here because of injury’s, layoffs, and how sharply he declined.  But the way he was finishing fights on his way to the title up until finishing Henderson was amazing.

Benson doesn’t belong on anyone’s list imo.  Point fighter who was gifted a lot of questionable decisions.

Great thread BTW.

Good post.

-If Justin beats Khabib, that is arguably the best run we’ve seen. Until then, he is an honorable mention with the best performance in the history of the division.

-I agree that Benson is last on the list.

-I also agree that Pettis’s run is very underrated.

With a couple of days to sit on it, I think that Justin over Tony is the best win in the history of the division. I might change my mind on this list, but I would rank it as follows:

(1) Justin over Tony: absolute mauling of the guy on arguably the best run in the division’s history.

(2) Conor over Eddie: Conor is not an all-time great lightweight, but this performance was legendary. Flawless victory over an all-timer in the division.

(3) Khabib v. Dustin: Another flawless victory over a top contender and legit veteran.

(4) Khabib and Tony v. RDA: Dominant victories over a dominant champ of the era.

(5) Pettis finishes Bendo

HM: BJ over Gomi.

wiggum - With a couple of days to sit on it, I think that Justin over Tony is the best win in the history of the division. I might change my mind on this list, but I would rank it as follows:

(1) Justin over Tony: absolute mauling of the guy on arguably the best run in the division’s history.

(2) Conor over Eddie: Conor is not an all-time great lightweight, but this performance was legendary. Flawless victory over an all-timer in the division.

(3) Khabib v. Dustin: Another flawless victory over a top contender and legit veteran.

(4) Khabib and Tony v. RDA: Dominant victories over a dominant champ of the era.

(5) Pettis finishes Bendo

HM: BJ over Gomi.

Exchange #3 with your HM and list is solid.  Khabib v Dustin is a solid win but not in that company.

^^Word. I have Dustin and Eddie about even with one another and Khabib was almost as flawless against Dustin (in his own, less fantastic looking way) as Conor was against Eddie.

wiggum - Oh, how could I forget RDA?

Benson, Nate, Showtime, Cowboy. Each win was tremendously impressive.

Was gonna say. :wink:

Wasn’t as long, but in terms of quality consecutive performances, this 4 streak is up there.

Also started after loss to Khabib.

What about Gomi? Sakurai, Goni, Sato, Pulver, Mishima, Bang, Azeredo, Aurelio, Ishida, Ralph

2nd one should be Kawajiri ^

Conor and his one win, impressive. 

1 Like
Wasa-B - What about Gomi? Sakurai, Goni, Sato, Pulver, Mishima, Bang, Azeredo, Aurelio, Ishida, Ralph

I was thinking gomi as well. His run in pride was legendary, even with the loss to aurelio in there. One of the best streaks ever. 

Dokonjonosuke is another of my all time faves and his run in shooto was solid as well. Until Gomi smashed him :(

Same with ishida. 

I think Jim Miller won 9 in a row in his prime.

will kerr -

I think Jim Miller won 9 in a row in his prime.

Record says 7, but that includes Charles Oliviera, Gleison Tibau, Duane Ludwig, Mac Danzig and Kamal Shalorus. If you don’t know Shalorus, he hits very hard!

If Gaethje can upset Khabib, I think that puts him at #1 most impressive run at LW even if its a short five fight run....

Lets look at who was included in the run

A KO of Vick who was 9-1 in his last ten UFC fights and coming off a win over Trinaldo.

A KO over the always lethal Barboza who was coming off a KO of Hooker.

A KO of Cowboy who had just beat Hernandez and Iaquinta before losing to Tony.

A TKO of 12-0 Tony after a dominant and brilliant performance.

A win over the 12-0 UFC champ Khabib.

Its a short run but man.... anybody that can come in a beat Tony and Khabib back to back after they just went 24-0 in the UFC.... that would put Justin's run as the best run in my eyes.

Maybe its recency bias but I don't know.

Wasa-B - What about Gomi? Sakurai, Goni, Sato, Pulver, Mishima, Bang, Azeredo, Aurelio, Ishida, Ralph

Yeah, that should probably be there.

BJ Penn Forever - 

If Gaethje can upset Khabib, I think that puts him at #1 most impressive run at LW even if its a short five fight run....

Lets look at who was included in the run

A KO of Vick who was 9-1 in his last ten UFC fights and coming off a win over Trinaldo.

A KO over the always lethal Barboza who was coming off a KO of Hooker.

A KO of Cowboy who had just beat Hernandez and Iaquinta before losing to Tony.

A TKO of 12-0 Tony after a dominant and brilliant performance.

A win over the 12-0 UFC champ Khabib.

Its a short run but man.... anybody that can come in a beat Tony and Khabib back to back after they just went 24-0 in the UFC.... that would put Justin's run as the best run in my eyes.

Maybe its recency bias but I don't know.

I agree.

Great thread! would like to see these done with other weight classes too.

SuperFightFan - Great thread! would like to see these done with other weight classes too.

Thanks. I made a similar (but somewhat different) one for Bantamweight.