Best first move/strike in a fight?

I would clinch up and either

knee, guillotine, takedown

i am a very very small guy and i dont know how to strike (Ive been shown a few good concepts and principles but Im far below novice level when it comes to striking)....I would be grappling here realisticly

Im 5'6 123-130 pounds (depending on the day)

KidJustice, that's the real world, dig a hole in the desert stuff. Hey, how are you? Will you be home for KD13? Next ROF? Let us know wassup. SoDak crew.

Keoni...a groin strike is good, but I would follow it up with something.  A face strike is good, they usually bend forward into it.  Think multiple strikes.

if someone is just talking shit to your face... my first move has always been push. both hands push them hard, and follow up with a flurry of punches that fucks them up. Dont put your hands up to guard your face... just explode into action. Ive found that pushing someone sends them off balance and if you start throwing the instant someone is off balance you can utterly destroy them.

If thier feet are already in fight stance... then dont do the push, thier on guard, so will pop you in the face and wreck you. If you throw your hands up as if your prepared to block, they will know you are about to swing, thus taking the element of suprise away, and they will wreck you. Throw first, throw hard, dont show any indication that you are about to throw. In the case of a street fight, and they look prepared... straight jab directly to the nose. aim for that nose as if you want to flatten it into nothingness. Dont give a warning. just do it. and keep punching them. IF they start to real down, punch them in thier kneck, and ear. Aim for that shit. Dont let up until they are down and bleeding. If they fall to the ground kick them in the face like a football. dont ever stop in a streetfight or you have the potential of leting them get thier head together and if they have a knife you could get cut the fuck up.

IrishMike: I will be back to Denver in December (around the 10th) I'm looking forward to seeing all you guys!

Takedown.

• “Don’t do your favorite move, but rather, the worst move for your opponent.” Chess maxim

The solution is simple: When somebody is about to attack you, just go "Stop! Just let me get my clothes off first. I always fight in the nude". Then start undressing. Nobody wants to fight a butt naked man.

LOL @ jonpall

lol

I bet that would actually work.

I have to second, third and fourth the kick to the balls statement. I completely disagree with the eye gouge.

Kicking to the balls is a great opening move if you have good enough technique not to get your leg grabbed. You can do it from range and it is an extremely soft target that can seriously slow an opponent down with pain. It also opens the fight with a quick kick to the lower body that sets up hand combo's - ecspecially if they lean into you after the strike from reflex.

I completely disagree with the eye gouge. Eyes are much more durable then most think and can be pushed far back into the skull. Every time I have driven fingers/thumbs into eye sockets in a fight I got the same in return from my opponent almost every time. It also opens up biting, improvised weapons and everything else. My advice to anyone is leave the eyes for a last resort. It actually takes some fingernails and technique to do real quick damage there.

"I would also add, start to protect your centerline by turning partially sideways like you would in a fighting stance."

"Good call. I just assumed nobody would still be standing squared. "

Against a wrestler or any decent grappler side stances will get you taken down... You never see a side stance in MMA, I know we are talking street but IMO side stance = bad... I perfer the boxers stance... I also would avocate the use of footwork and range for defense...

Also, when you are in side stance you are halfway to giving up your back...

could someone explain the S.P.E.A.R technique. is it basically a palm
strike to the shoulder?

If you are to the point where you are face to face and you have the opportunity to strike first then it's not a fight yet. Best to diffuse situation and walk away or decide right then and there that you are going to walk right through your opponent. I don't believe there is any one best preliminary strike.

HonkeyStyle...I don't mean to turn completely sideways, but not stand facing the guy either.  That's why I said "partially sideways", like you would in a fighting stance. 

Gary Hughes

Asymmetrik : No the S.P.E.A.R (www.tonyblauer.com) stands for Spontaneous Protection Enabling Accelerated Response. It is a way to stop a close-quarters physical threat. It is a Flinch response and a great way to intercept and nullify an attack.

I'm not in anyway paid by Tony or get any benifit from him, but I must say that this system works very well for the street.

Before any keyboard warrior's on here say that this is all bullshit let me explain the following. I have over 15 years of martial arts experience and over 13 years as a law enforcement officer. I have been in many "street encounters" that have resulted in numerous arrests. I'm telling you this works very well.

The best thing about the S.P.E.A.R system is it fits great into any other martial art or MMA related activity that you do. I practice Kickboxing and Submission grappling and I find that the S.P.E.A.R system helps amplify any technique that I may be doing (After I do a SPEAR I find that my Muay Thai elbows and knees meld right in).

For me the SPEAR system is another "tool" for my proverbial "toolbelt" that i can add to my overall defense sytem.

John Fabbricatore

TTT

KidJustice,

Thanks for the detailed info. Sounds like great stuff.

To expand my question. I understand it's a system, but I see
statements like "After I do a SPEAR..." or people talking about using a
SPEAR, or SPEAR to clinch to knees, etc.

Could you give me an example of doing a SPEAR? Is it pretty much an
action based upon my flinch response?

Thanks!

asymmetrik: Yes the SPEAR is a response based on the body's natural reaction. In essence it is a Block/Strike all in one.

Tony has pictures on his website and I really don't want to take them off of there without his permission, but for you to see the pictures might explain it better. The way you are thinking of it (palm stike to the shoulder) is not correct.

(www.tonyblauer.com)  

example of boxing stance...

http://www.webgalleria.com/thumbs/2cJF.gif

example of side-karate stance...

http://www.geocities.com/shaeville/elviskaratestance.jpg

When I took Shorin Ryu my "sensi" would get super pissed at me when we sparred becuase I would not stand in side stance, I would use a mma / boxing stance... he would always tell me that I would be killed in the street... he could clown me when we sparred but I could easily win "point fights" against 90 % of the school, even black belts...

When I quit going there he wanted to know why, I said the if I can clown your black belts it meant the instruction is not good... he could beat me, but the students could not... I do have have a bit of a background in boxing, but I ain't Joe Frasier...