Best guard dog?

What is the best guard dog in your oppinion for an apartment and why? I have a Lab but he is getting old, his days unfortunately are numbered. We have always lived in houses but soon  apartment life is  where Im headed unfortunately and I wanna make sure the family is protected but the dog needs to be comfortable as well. I understand that training, exercise and socialization are key elements and plan to adjust accordingly. So what should I be looking at?

Hamsters are the perfect size for an apartment Phone Post 3.0

I would most likely eat the hamster so that is a no go newb.

It's probably going to come down to what people have.

I have a rottweiler. Going on 3 years old. I've raised her for first two years strictly in apartments. Her first year in a high rise that required two separate elevator rides to go down and 2nd year in a regular staired complex. She did great in apartment and was great for socialization with her.

Only thing I wish would be different would be if she shed less.

I would definitely consider the shedding aspects of the breed you are considering. Phone Post 3.0

You and your family can begin to practice Hamster Style for home protection instead of a dog Phone Post 3.0

Masterclass -

I would most likely eat the hamster so that is a no go newb.

That's pretty gross Phone Post 3.0

"30 best guard dogs (video) thread on here has some good discussion too. Phone Post 3.0

How old is your lab? Phone Post 3.0

Rottweiller is at the top of the list with German Sheperd and Bull Mastiff right behind. I like the Bull mastiff a lot but they can be hard to train. German Sheperds are awesome but I am not really fond of the longer hair.

Lab is 11. He has some time left but I want to be prepared for all situations.

My Bullmastiff was pretty intimidating, but was good with kids and other dogs and fairly inactive. He also didn't bark much, save for when someone was actually on the property or he saw possum walking on the wall. Probably would've done well in an apartment.

I don't know how well he would've been as a protector, as the occasion never presented itself. I'm sure he would've at least bought me time to grab a gun, simply due to his size and bark.

Black bear Phone Post 3.0

Masterclass - 

Rottweiller is at the top of the list with German Sheperd and Bull Mastiff right behind. I like the Bull mastiff a lot but they can be hard to train. German Sheperds are awesome but I am not really fond of the longer hair.

Mine was only hard to potty train. He just seemed to loving pissing inside for far too long. He was, however very easy to train for obedience and recall.

Also check into crate training if you haven't already. It will save you some frustration down the line if the dog is home alone all day. I wish I would've, but I had a dog door to the back yard, so I thought I was sweet.

I eventually remanded him to the laundry area where the back door was with a baby gate. Big stupid wasn't able to figure out that he could just bulldoze it. That or he was just too lazy to give a shit.

Rottweiler sheds alot! Phone Post 3.0

Insanity wolf.

Festus - "30 best guard dogs (video) thread on here has some good discussion too. Phone Post 3.0

VU, I'll bump it.

i would get a guard dawg

The Adversary - 
Festus - "30 best guard dogs (video) thread on here has some good discussion too. Phone Post 3.0

VU, I'll bump it.

Thanks bro.

Doberman ! Phone Post 3.0

Doberman. Short hair. Loyal. Scary when they need to be. Best dog I've ever had. Phone Post 3.0