Best MA for a child?

I've always thaught that Judo was the best MA for kids, but I think you've convinced me that it is indead wrestling. I'm still going to say both are excellent; the final decision should come down to the best club/instruction available.

wrestling
boxing
judo
in that order

Somewhere on the net i've seen these pics of kids competing in MT. It was kids in the U.S. probably like 8 or 10 years old. Actually it looked cool as hell.

Both my kids are taking Kenpo classes, I have given them a little bit of BJJ training, mostly positioning. I think it generally takes longer to master striking and someone can get fairly good on the ground with BJJ.

I'm not knocking wrestling and may have my son start that a little later, he's only 5 now.

Gary Hughes

wrestling.

It seems to be hard to find a wrestling program outside of public school where i'm at. Is this consistent in other parts of the country?

Probably not Iowa.

"in fact I have seen more than a few portly bjj'ers and judokas but I have never seen an obese wrestler."

- I have.

I have a 5 year old in bjj. He loves it and the teacher is great. He's the youngest there but he is still loving it. But I'm looking into a wrestling club for him, better takedowns and balance. I will continue with both as long as it is fun for him and he keeps progressing. There is just so many more competitions for him as a young wrestler, and he loves to compete. I don't know if it is the best, but it is working for my son so far. I would like to see more bjj competitions for kids just to hone their skills.

I think that at that age the style dos't matter. you need to look for an instructor that teaches the kids about values like respect, discpline, kindness. ect. he can learn how to be a bad ass later

Whatever the kid enjoys the most. Explain the differences to him as objectively and simply as possible and see if anything peaks his interest, or even take him to watch or tryout a class.

That said, don't enroll him at Yellow Bamboo, even if he loves it. :)

Just remember, he's only 5. My experience teaching 5 years olds is that it's hit & miss on whether they can keep focused on what they are doing. Some do, some don't. My advice for those that didn't was to give em a year or two to grow up. Let them be kids. They don't need to be a pro-level ultimate fighter by 10. :)