Best matchup of alltime best hw boxers?

Oh man, why only HWs? I would love to see RJJ vs Sugar Ray Robinson at MW. 

Also Julio Ceaser Chavez vs. Duran at LW. 

MickColins -  Which Joe Louis, though? Joe Louis in his prime or 137 year old Joe Louis?
We're certainly not talking about 37 year old Joe. Most people act like he was a dead man walking by that age...

eag

I would of loved to see a prime Tyson vs a prime Fraizer.  Would of been a slugfest if they fought in the same era.

MMA Authority Mag -  I would of loved to see a prime Tyson vs a prime Fraizer.  Would of been a slugfest if they fought in the same era.

This is true.  I have a feeling that Foreman would also do to Tyson what he did to Frazier but I'd love to see that fight too.

Frazier matches up with some of the greats. I don't think he would have done so well against the 80's Tyson though.

Tyson was just as quick as Joe if not quicker, and he hit much harder. Bad matchup for Smokin Joe IMO

You have to get Jack Johnson in there. You know what happened to boxing? The NFL. If every guy in the NFL was a hw boxer, would be some division.

But back then, prize fighting was it, unless you were a horse or something.

Kirik -  You have to get Jack Johnson in there. You know what happened to boxing? The NFL. If every guy in the NFL was a hw boxer, would be some division.

I've always thought about this too.  I think there are guys in the NBA who would be great boxers. Imagine that kind of height and reach coupled with the footspeed and athleticism of a pro baller?  Damn.

Bobby Lupo - 
newbloodmma -  Frazier matches up with some of the greats. I don't think he would have done so well against the 80's Tyson though.

Tyson was just as quick as Joe if not quicker, and he hit much harder. Bad matchup for Smokin Joe IMO

For sure. Mythical Tyson was Frazier 2.0; except for the beating quality guys part. Frazier always tends to be overrated in these things based on the first ALi fight and the knockdown. He was a solid fighter with a very short prime that had nice movement, hustle and power, but was entirely too hittable to deal with a true bomber. He's proof that it's not always the fighters that were better, it was the sportswriters that were better back then too (see the career of Dempsey)

The all time hw's I think Joe would match up well against would be Holyfield, Tunney, Ali(obviously, lol), and strangely enough I could see him giving Holmes a decent fight because of the styles.

Foreman, Tyson, and the big punchers are not good for him. Jack Johnson vs Joe Frazier, now that would be interesting. I have a difficult time comparing Johnson to these others because he used a patting style that was kind of sloppy and akward looking but it was damn sure effective.

Kirik -  You have to get Jack Johnson in there. You know what happened to boxing? The NFL. If every guy in the NFL was a hw boxer, would be some division.

true but definitely can't blame guys for not wanting to get punched in the brain for a living. 

I think it's also possible that parents have steered their children away from their boxing ambitions because they've seen the deterioration of guys like Muhammed Ali and Mike Tyson. They now see how truely dangerous and punishing the sport really is.  Not to mention we saw Boom Boom Mancini kill a man right before our eyes which shook up alot of people who remember that fight.

Good point about Jack Johnson

I always wanted to see Ali vs. Lennox Lewis

I want to see how Ali would do against a tall, fast, powerful puncher with an awesome jab and, great defense, and great cardio.

I think it would look like Ali/ Foreman minus the part where George got tired.

You started a boxing thread without me????

shakes head sadly

Up With Evil - You started a boxing thread without me????

shakes head sadly

How about weighing in on the first post? 

Sorry I was bored, and where the hell has Burke been these days?

"Joe Louis vs Muhammed Ali?"

This is a tougher matchup than people are giving it credit for being.  Remember, we're talking about "Muhammad Ali", not "Cassius Clay".  There's this assumption that Ali would just dance and move for 15 rounds and Louis could never catch up to him, but Muhammad Ali wasn't that kind of fighter.  In Joe Louis, he'd be facing the best possible version of Ken Norton - and Ken Norton, lest we forget, owns one official win over Ali and should have been given a second. 

"Marciano vs Dempsey?"

Dempsey by UD, I think Jack fights a smart, technical fight, not risking much but scoring effectively, much like he did in his 1923 title defense against Tommy Gibbons, where Jack is generally credited with winning 12 or 13 rounds out of 15.  Marciano is an awkward brawler whose style actually made him especially dangerous against more stylish boxers, but Dempsey was in the ring with everyone from neckless mining goons to Gene Tunney, I don't think Rock had anything for him he hadn't seen before.

"Larry Holmes vs a younger, less damaged Ali.. or Holmes vs Foreman?"

Holmes vs Foreman I don't even see as being close - Larry Holmes by late KO. 

Holmes vs Ali is a tougher nut to crack.  Ali didn't like fighting jabbers, it's one of the main reasons Ken Norton gave him so much trouble.  But young prime Holmes had just as hard a time with old, wheezing Norton as Ali did 7 years earlier, so that tips the scales towards Ali in my book.

"Frazier vs Tunney?"

Frazier's a fairly small heavyweight but he can keep pressure on for 15 hard rounds.  Against many all-time greats that should be enough, but Gene Tunney actually got the measure of the great Harry Greb, arguably the greatest pressure fighter AND pound-for-pound fighter in boxing history.  Tunney by UD.

"Marciano vs Frazier?"

That would be an interesting fight, probably the most brutal and violent one on the list.  I couldn't pick a winner - most likely the ending comes in the late rounds when the referee picks one of the two fighters (both of their eyes swollen shut, faces distorted beyond recognition) and says they had enough.

"Lennox Lewis vs Larry Holmes?"

I'm a big Larry Holmes fan, but I think Lennox out-jabs him in the middle rounds and scores a knockdown early on his way to a win.

Louis would have a better chance against the older slower version of Ali. I know old videos do the Brown Bomber no justice but he just looked like he didn't use footwork which is why I think a great jabber like Holmes or Ali would not be good for him.

Joe looked really methodical and relaxed with his movement which probably saved him energy. When he got in punching range though, his accuracy and power was scary.

And it seems most people on here agree that Marciano vs Frazier would be the most brutal fight. A fight for the ages indeed.

I have to disagree about Holmes-Lewis. I think Holmes was better all the way around and took a punch better also. Most agree that that would be the most tactical boring fight.

newbloodmma -  Louis would have a better chance against the older slower version of Ali. I know old videos do the Brown Bomber no justice but he just looked like he didn't use footwork which is why I think a great jabber like Holmes or Ali would not be good for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R78hdxpRfws

Louis was one of the greatest jabbers of them all.

U4EA - 
newbloodmma -  Louis would have a better chance against the older slower version of Ali. I know old videos do the Brown Bomber no justice but he just looked like he didn't use footwork which is why I think a great jabber like Holmes or Ali would not be good for him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R78hdxpRfws

Louis was one of the greatest jabbers of them all.
Louis was a fantastic jabber, but he threw a hard, accurate, thudding jab, not a quick, stinging jab like Ali.  Larry Holmes had the best jab in heavyweight history in my book, a nice combination of reach, accuracy, impact, and quickness.

Best UG thread In @least 6 months.

... He's proof that it's not always the fighters that were better, it was the sportswriters that were better back then too (see the career of Dempsey)

Oh, so true. A lot of the boxing press over the last 10-15 years has bashed the standard of elite boxers today and you always get the feeling that they couldn't hold a candle to the oldtimers. I think the obsession with the "0" in the loss column hasn't helped.
Puts helmet on I think the Klitschkos, due to their style, size and tactical acumen, would've been a handful for any heavyweight in any era. takes helmet off

I think Foreman vs Lewis would've been tasty. (I keep seeing images of Foreman vs. Lyle. Just my humble opinion)

I can't wait for Mayweather vs Marquez Saturday night. I've got a bunch of buddies wanting to watch that over the ufc fights.

I think Mayweather is going to be coming out intense looking for the big KO after all the comments about him running from fights.

I think Marquez is gonna be his best ever as he looks to get a big win to maybe push into a mega fight with Manny P.

I personally think it could end up being a freaking war! Can't wait!