Best Microsoft Office Alternative?

Looking for a good alternative for Office, specifically Microsoft Word. My new laptop didn't come with a license, but it's basically going to be used for basic things like resume formatting and cover letters while I start humoring a job change.

The new Office seems a lot like Windows 8 in that it has a lot of shit I don't want, and unless I missing something only seems to be available in a subscription. While the features are pretty cool, I don't need to pay $7 a month for Cloud services between different devices.

What's a good .doc program to look into?

Openoffice? Phone Post

invalid - Looking for a good alternative for Office, specifically Microsoft Word. My new laptop didn't come with a license, but it's basically going to be used for basic things like resume formatting and cover letters while I start humoring a job change.

The new Office seems a lot like Windows 8 in that it has a lot of shit I don't want, and unless I missing something only seems to be available in a subscription. While the features are pretty cool, I don't need to pay $7 a month for Cloud services between different devices.

What's a good .doc program to look into?

It's either subscription or full license. It's the same as the last versions, not quite sure what you mean by shit you don't want.

Openoffice is decent

Shit I don't want = things like Powerpoint

OpenOffice

LibreOffice

Google has its own word processor. If you're using it so minimally, that'll work just fine

Awesome - thanks guys

Google docs Phone Post 3.0

OpenOffice! Phone Post 3.0

I use open office. My work computer has microsoft office. I haven't noticed any difference in quality between the two, although I only use open office for word processessing and spread sheets.

Just a public sevice announcement . Open office was bought then developed by sun for many years.

Oracle bought sun and effectively stopped development of open office and fired everyone.

Libra-office was then born and is being actively developed.

So Libre office is open office; just a newer version.

Open office is getting old as it is not being developed. So please stop suggesting open office.

Suggest Libre office. Phone Post 3.0

or rip off ms office from torrents....

The Google apps like docs, sheets, and slides work well.
The Apple ones, too.
These days Office is more about name recognition and bloated side programs people rarely use than anything new. Phone Post 3.0

OpenOffice. It is very similar to MS Word/PowerPoint. Phone Post 3.0

The google app thing works very well, they're all saved on it, and then if I want the file locally I just download it as a pdf or w/e type of file I want, and can always go back to google to edit it.

Open office my fren Phone Post 3.0

Open office and/or Google docs Phone Post 3.0

CavemanDave - Open office and/or Google docs Phone Post 3.0
Agreed Phone Post 3.0

LibreOffice

Open office
Google docs Phone Post 3.0