Best MMA fighters are white.....

So I was at the gym yesterday and we were talking about boxing and I mentioned that the best boxers are mainly black and hispanic. than someone says to me "all the best MMA fighters are white."

I responded with "its cuase they are the worst boxers" i tried to explain to the guy that the reason they are the best in MMA is cause they couldnt cut it in boxing or kick boxing. Than he mentions fedor and how Fedor has good hands for being an MMA guy, I told him that if his hands were as good as he says/thinks than he would be Boxing and not doing MMA cause boxing is where the money is at.

Yea I'm sure that the guys in mma fight mma because they can not box...
Even if I was a world class boxer I would still fight mma, because its what I love to do I dont see any fun in standing and punching somone have them punch me and do that for 15 rounds....
I would rather play a wild chess game of mma, were you have to plan out every move you make and you never no what will be coming at you next....

Chris has checkmated the correct

Aw man...I expected it to say COLLAR workers...damn.

Martial arts lessons are expensive, so MMA like most other expensive sports (Swimming, Tennis, Golf, etc.) is dominated by whites.

Date: 12/28/06 02:07 PM
416 Total Posts Ignore User

Yea I'm sure that the guys in mma fight mma because they can not box... Even if I was a world class boxer I would still fight mma, because its what I love to do I dont see any fun in standing and punching somone have them punch me and do that for 15 rounds.... I would rather play a wild chess game of mma, were you have to plan out every move you make and you never no what will be coming at you next....

Yeah, ok bro... You make it sound as if in boxing there's no strategy involved at all. Its just a couple of guys wildly flailing at each other for 15 rounds (there are no 15 round fights). Thats fuckin' stupid. Its not a Toughman contest, stop making it sound like one..

So you think a boxer has to work on as many aspects as a mma fighter?

I think what Chris is saying is that there isn't as much strategy. This can be illustrated with one simple point: How many boxers have to worry about a double leg?

So you think a boxer has to work on as many aspects as a mma fighter?

Absolutely not. I never said that. Look bro, I dont mean to come across as an asshole. I know Im just a name on a computer screen. I dont claim to be any type of badass or anything like that but I have trained pretty hard in both sports and I can tell you that usually (not always), the common mma fan disrespects boxing because they think mma is superior. IMO, they're both different and should NOT be compared because in both cases, they're training specific things. The boxer trains boxing and the mma practitioner trains in multiple styles.

Ive been training boxing since '92 and mma since '02. Boxing imo is a whole lot harder and is definitely alot harder on you. You have to understand that in boxing, you KNOW you're going to get punched and thats the ONLY thing you have to defend but you still get hit with 1000 punches during the course of the fight and getting hit in the face with those heavy fuckin gloves isnt fun. It rattles your brain. It sucks. Also, boxers train for 10 to 12 round fights and have to keep up the intensity and the puch output for 12 rounds. If you cant do that, you're dead! In mma, they train 3-5 round fights and in some cases the fighters tire in the second round (see BJ Penn). Thats why I lmao when I hear some of the UGers try to say that mmaers are some of the best athletes in the world. I love mma but thats bullshit.

Are mmaers more well rounded? Of course they are, thats what they train to do but you cant tell me that the athletically gifted cream of the crop boxers cant do the same thing. Why the hell wouldnt they? Its definitely not a matter of heart or desire. If you can learn to be a high level boxer you can learn to be a great mmaer too. No disrespect to mma, like I said earlier, Ive been training in mma for quite a while now and I love it. Ive had the pleasure of rolling w/Matt Hughes, Shonie Carter (who I consider a friend) and countless others in the Chicagoland area but Im also not naive enough to downplay boxing and its worth.

i'm latino dammit! but anyway the situation is too dynamic to base it on just race. i distinctly remember in college (9 years ago that most of the people that did it (prior to it definitively being called MMA)were internationals and only some whites. Most whites that got into the sport started coming in during the wrestling off season.

I think as it grew in popularity more and more people throughout the country started to do it. and I would think that initially most of the people (at the amateur level)that were into it had some sort of higher level education.

Now that it is a huge(relative to 90's)mainstream sport, everybody and their mom's is doing it. Including the current majority (soon to change) US population.

As that pool of fighters in the states grew it was easier for the UFC, and like propmotional organizations to recruit talent in the states.

the pitfall was that the UFC did not have the top MMA fighters in the world. Maybe in one or two weight classes. But the top fighters in the world were not all white. It doesn't mean the situation hasn't changed. I'm quite impressed at how aggressive the UFC has been out getting higher level talent. excuse my unedited ramblings but i work on full commision.

peace

LWO

The flame is lit uly!

"Of course they are, thats what they train to do but you cant tell me that the athletically gifted cream of the crop boxers cant do the same thing. Why the hell wouldnt they? Its definitely not a matter of heart or desire."

I see that. I think that a lot of people are now seeing the increasing paydays from MMA and there will be a lot more solid boxing prospects going that direction. There is going to be a lag time because of the amount training needed. Give it five years, and if top MMA guys are making 5 mill a fight, you're damn well going to see guys that would be top-notch boxers in the cage instead.

Then again, while throwing against the bag for 12 rounds is a lot of work, grappling for five or ten minutes straight takes a different kind of endurance.

"Thats why I lmao when I hear some of the UGers try to say that mmaers are some of the best athletes in the world. I love mma but thats bullshit"

Alright so a boxer has to dance around and throw punches, you take any well trained mma fighter and they can go a 10-12 round boxing match and not gas out...

When you are in the cage you use so many muscles in so many ways, that you do not have to in other sports...when you are boxing there is no one giving you resistance, in mma there is always someone leaning on your, pulling on you, your pulling, or pushing you are always using your muscles...witch drains you alot more

I bet if you take the top 100 American fighters at each weight class, you would have percentages of each ethnicity similar to the percentage of the American population. (I would do it to make a strong argument but that would be a lot of work.)

End this thread please.

I think the point he was trying to make was that the better athletes tend to go into boxing because the oppertunity for big money is better for the time being. The same could be said for the crappy heavyweight boxing devision. The big athletic guys tend to go with football because the money potentially is better.

I agree, you guys make some great points. My buddy was a state runner up wrestler. Hes the one that got me into mma. The wrestling workouts are a motherfucker! I was trying to make the point that on ME, boxing has been alot harder on my body and also that in boxing, you have your 2 fists, your heart, your brain and your balls. If youre getting your ass kicked in the 3rd or 4th round, you have to try and survive and come back to win because you have 8 more rounds to go. Thats where alot of heart and toughness take over. You dont have a double-leg to rely on. And NO Im not trying to say that mmaers dont have heart, thats just silly. Lke I said before I LOVE mma and boxing. I love them both for what they are and everything Ive stated are just my opinios and my own experiences. I would never bash a style, ANY style. Ive met badasses in every styly of fighting from karate, quite a few badass kung fu guys, boxers, wrestlers, you name it.

Id actually be interested in some of your guys stories who have trained and/or competed at a moderate level in more than 2 disciplines. MMA and boxing being one example.

My first love in combat sports is definately MMA,but I do have to say that boxing is a lot more strategic than one would think.I never knew this until I started training with a pure boxer that dedicated 20 yrs to just strictly boxing.My whole outlike on boxing changed.And the best fighters in MMA are the fighters that have that never say quit mentality,and that live with that warrior spirit.The ones that dedicate their entire life. the ones that live,eat,breath,sleep,and shit fighting.It has nothing to do with color,but everything to do with sacrifice.IT HURTS TO BE THE CHAMP.

Alright so a boxer has to dance around and throw punches, you take any well trained mma fighter and they can go a 10-12 round boxing match and not gas out...

When you are in the cage you use so many muscles in so many ways, that you do not have to in other sports...when you are boxing there is no one giving you resistance, in mma there is always someone leaning on your, pulling on you, your pulling, or pushing you are always using your muscles...witch drains you alot more

Chris, there are some guys that are dancers and some gus that are sluggers. There are also guys that are smotherers and are always leaning on you but I DO understand your point. As far as mmaers going 12 rounds, maybe if they're in that type of shape but there's another thing we havent talked about and its very, very extremely important in a fight.. The chin.
Again, just trying to make some points from my own experiences. The guys who've boxed on these forums, know what a brutal and strangely beautiful sport, boxing is. Love'em both, bro.. No need to like one and bash the other.

"And Boxing is a WHOLE HELL of a lot tougher training than Football. And the real reason is damn near every single highschool in the country has a football team."

And a wrestling team. Look how many wrestlers there are in MMA, after wrestling for years in highschool and college, then what? "Professional" wrestling? With MMA these guys have a real pro sport now.

It must take either a shitload of guts, or a complete lack of choices for a 14-15 year old kid to walk into a boxing gym when they can find one, and say "I would like to get hit in the head for the forseeable future." Whereas that same kid is all but forced to join the junior high football team.