Best pickup for $30k?

I'm going to look to get one next month, my budget is around 30k.

The only two things I absolutely want are...

The safety features (lane departure, blind spot warning, etc)

Good reputation for being reliable. 

What does the OG recommend? 

Thanks for any help! 

I’ve drive ford diesels my whole life but if I were to get a gas truck I’d get a used Ram 1500. I don’t know if they have the features you want but I think they are a better ride than an f150. 

Never buy a gay mans cadilac or a chev 

1 Like

I live in a chevy town, so I'm biased.  We all drive em, all love em.  Silverado, my mans. 

1 Like
USADA D1CK Pills -

I’ve drive ford diesels my whole life but if I were to get a gas truck I’d get a used Ram 1500. I don’t know if they have the features you want but I think they are a better ride than an f150. 

Never buy a gay mans cadilac or a chev 

You can get one a year or two old for about 30k. (Ram). I love mine. 

Serious question, why are truck prices so high for a used truck. Here is Missouri I looked at a 2011 F250 with 160k miles and it was 27k. 

I don’t get it. Do trucks last longer now?

baptistmo -

Serious question, why are truck prices so high for a used truck. Here is Missouri I looked at a 2011 F250 with 160k miles and it was 27k. 

No, that is someplace trying to reel a sucker into buying a vehicle they shouldnt. 

2 Likes

Avoid anything diesel or turbocharged, if you want long-term reliability. I would also avoid anything with “displacement on demand” technology - that is where the computer deactivates some of the cylinders when the engine is under very light load. Or, at least, get a qualified “tuner” to disable the DoD system (not hard to do).

I recently gave myself a 22k drive-out budget, to get a used truck. Nowadays, I will rarely even go look at a vehicle if I haven’t already negotiated the price. Looked for over 6 weeks, slowly broadened my search criteria and area.

Last week found an amazingly clean '13 F150 XL 4x4 Offroad. A dealer had taken it in trade, and listed WAY under retail. I jumped on it, and bought it the next day. Spent 5k less than my budget. Virtually identical to this '14, except in color https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Ford-F-150-XLT-4X4-OFF-ROAD-5-0L-V8/293755229877?hash=item44652d16b5:g:0-oAAOSwU21fRDbc

Trucks used to cheap and for used for work.  Nowadays, trucks are treated and priced as a luxury vehicle.

2 Likes

I think getting those features under $30k is going to be a stretch.  Trucks are crazy expensive.

one thing to watch out for if you go Ram.  If it has keyless ignition, make sure you get keyless entry.  It’s a simple thing that should go hand and hand, but doesn’t.

I don’t know that’s a hard one. I had my heart set in a used tundra but the options you get are shit for under 30k. The older ones don’t have any options that ram f150 have and they get 12mpg. 

I would look at 2016 and newer ram. Go drive them all though and see what one you like. Literally drive everyone. Park it, take it to a grocery store back it in etc… For me the ram made sense but if you tow heavy loads maybe it wouldn’t be for you. 

Used Tundra. Nothing else comes even close to it in reliability.

There's a shortage of Tundras right now because of COVID. If you bought a new Tundra in the last year or so, you can basically sell it for what you paid minus like $1-2k. Even pre-COVID, they have much higher resale value than any other truck out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ylK_1uCvgc

The wife won't shut up about a jeep, but I've heard too many horror stories about them to be comfortable buying one. 

1 Like

What do you guys think about the Ford Ranger? 

1 Like
fob - 

Trucks used to cheap and for used for work.  Nowadays, trucks are treated and priced as a luxury vehicle.

Indeed.

What’s the repo rate for trucks vs other vehicles? I feel like most of the people I see behind the wheel of a $40k+ truck really don’t make enough to comfortably cover the $600+ monthly payment.

I owned a truck for a while. Ever since, I’ve continually gone smaller in vehicle size. They’re not fun to drive and get awful mileage - and I almost never needed the capacity. I don’t get the appeal for the typical buyer.

1 Like

Depends on your intent. 

I was just shopping for Trucks/SUV's. My needs were mostly daily commute, costco trips, and minor offroading. Im also picky about powertrain performance

Tundras are good but likely out of your price range even used. But plan on paying for gas.

Tacomas are WAY overpriced for what they are. Drove like garbage IMO

I liked the looks of the Explorer Sport but fuel economy was horrible and I couldn't find one in good shape. Was finding rust buildup under the paint on even Ca cars.

I ended up getting a 17 BMW X3 M Sport 6cyl Turbo for right around your price range. No regrets the car is a blast to drive and a total sleeper. 

baptistmo -

Diesels last longer 

baj54 - 
baptistmo -

No, that is someplace trying to reel a sucker into buying a vehicle they shouldnt. 

there's a national pickup shortage at the moment. especially recent-model used options.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/10/19/the-great-pickup-shortage.html

"The great pickup shortage
The hottest car on the lot right now: *USED* pickup trucks. Why are customers paying record prices for second-hand wheels?"
Briscoe - 

What do you guys think about the Ford Ranger? 

I have a 2019 XLT with all the features you wanted. I got it at a year end deal, brand new. I got it for 28k, sticker was 36k

iclimb513 - 
fob - 

Indeed.

What’s the repo rate for trucks vs other vehicles? I feel like most of the people I see behind the wheel of a $40k+ truck really don’t make enough to comfortably cover the $600+ monthly payment.

I owned a truck for a while. Ever since, I’ve continually gone smaller in vehicle size. They’re not fun to drive and get awful mileage - and I almost never needed the capacity. I don’t get the appeal for the typical buyer.

I really wanted a truck and had a F150 picked out, I pulled the plug at the last minute because I work downtown and thought having a big truck would suck. So I looked at mid-size and got the Ranger.

I’m getting like 25 highway and 20 city mileage,

You could get a brand new Nissan Frontier 4x4, for under 30. 

1 Like