Best place to live OFF-GRID?

Imagine you were 48-50 and had a substantial nest egg and ZERO debt. Plenty of passive income to support you but you live a simple life and you're able to save 90% of your money each month.

You want to go somewhere and live a self sustaining next 30-40yrs of your life and die on your front porch overlooking your beautiful land. Solar, wind, running water nearby maybe. 40+ acres at least. No neighbors for miles.

Where would you go?

Anywhere in the world. You and your woman and you could have friends come visit on the regular.

Central Park in NYC

Don't need anywhere near 40 acres for one guy.

Solar is easy anywhere in the American Southwest, though it's not massively cheaper than being on grid yet.

I'd go with south Colorado on the river.

This is my dream to do in alaska. Ive lived off grid in a camper van for years in urban settings and now live in a tiny home on a river deep in the rockies.

Where ever your mom wanted to go?

Sorry bro, just had to do it.
Figured, someone was gonna do it, I'd get it out of the way

Blossoms Hat - This is my dream to do in alaska. Ive lived off grid in a camper van for years in urban settings and now live in a tiny home on a river deep in the rockies.

cool, subbing to thread

Southwest Texas or New Mexico, as long as you're not too close to the border. Incredibly cheap land, easy solar, beautiful country.

Somewhere in New Mexico or Arizona.

Maybe Tennessee in the mountains.

Can't be too cold tho, off the grid, being a geezer and snow doesn't work out too well.

Where ever you settle down make sure your county allows it per their building codes. 

Montana. 

Off Grid Rd

Ozark or Ouachitas/Boston mountain range in southern Missouri or northern Arkansas.  I like four seasons and rolling hardwood forests with lakes.  I think northern AR is very underrated.  It consistently ranks #1 for outdoorsmen.

Southwest Colorado is one of my favorites too, but that is a lot of snow.  I wish I had spent more time in northeast New Mexico.  

Oregon

Based on my lifestyle it would be Temagami, Ontario, Canada. 

Crawford County in Arkansas according to my calculations

fuzzislipperz -

Montana. 

^

fuzzislipperz -

Montana. 

Sambron Slovakia

Image may contain: mountain, sky, grass, tree, plant, cloud, outdoor and nature

ghost of KVR -

Crawford County in Arkansas according to my calculations

I'm going up to Arkansas soon to scope out some land for a homestead. My aunt has land there and she told me it's dirt cheap, and beautiful country too. Foothills of the Appalachians.