Best strategy to buy truck right now? Used vs. New

Hey fellas. Curious if anyone in the industry has some advice on buying used vs. new truck right now. Looking for a 2017-2020 half ton with max towing package. 

I typically don’t buy new because of the depreciation but there are some great incentives from the manufacturers and the dealers.

I have always bought a couple years old with low miles. I get more truck/options than buying new.

Thanks for any input. 

1 Like

I bought a new Tundra Limited 4x4 a couple of weeks ago because of the incentives and the low finance rates. I could have gotten 0% for 60 months from Toyota or 3000 customer cash. I took the cash and got my own financing (1.79% for 60 months). The truck MSRP'd for 52k. They gave me 25k for my trade (2017 Tacoma TRD 4x4 w/60k miles), and I financed 20k. So they came off 7k of the MSRP more or less.

![](upload://h6RHK7b3menPTodDtBzG9GjuPsW.jpeg)

1 Like
TFK_Mas Tisu - 

I bought a new Tundra Limited 4x4 a couple of weeks ago because of the incentives and the low finance rates. I could have gotten 0% for 60 months from Toyota or 3000 customer cash. I took the cash and got my own financing (1.79% for 60 months). The truck MSRP'd for 52k. They gave me 25k for my trade (2017 Tacoma TRD 4x4 w/60k miles), and I financed 20k. So they came off 7k of the MSRP more or less.

Nice looking truck, what color?

Cement

TTT for LnP ninja and others from inside the business. 

Straydog24 - 

Hey fellas. Curious if anyone in the industry has some advice on buying used vs. new truck right now. Looking for a 2017-2020 half ton with max towing package. 

I typically don’t buy new because of the depreciation but there are some great incentives from the manufacturers and the dealers.

I have always bought a couple years old with low miles. I get more truck/options than buying new.

Thanks for any input. 

Wouldn’t a max towing package infer something heavier duty than a half ton truck?

Not knocking your choice at all, just thought you would need to get up to at least a 3/4 ton truck, for a good solid towing vehicle.

TFK_Mas Tisu -

Beautiful truck. I had a 2016 Limited and loved it. 

Dryfly -
Straydog24 - 

Thanks for any input. 

Wouldn’t a max towing package infer something heavier duty than a half ton truck?

Not knocking your choice at all, just thought you would need to get up to at least a 3/4 ton truck, for a good solid towing vehicle.

I tow very infrequently but have a 7000 pound (dry) travel trailer. The new half tons have 13,000 pound towing capacities. If I towed often I would most likely get a diesel. 

Ford had 0% financing on f150s a couple weeks ago.

Jeep has employee pricing and 3.9% on gladiator.  

Straydog24 -

“I tow very infrequently but have a 7000 pound (dry) travel trailer. The new half tons have 13,000 pound towing capacities. If I towed often I would most likely get a diesel.”

Understand. You know what you need, better than I.

Sometimes I forget not everyone lives where I do.

Our canyons are super steep, I often see half ton trucks, struggling to pull a not large boat up a 60 m.p.h. hill, at about 15-20 m.p.h.

Being rated to pull that weight does not necessarily mean it can drag it up a miles long very steep grade.

Best of luck in obtaining your new truck.

Dryfly -
Straydog24 - 

Thanks for any input. 

Modern half tons are better tow vehicles for less than 10k lb trailers than 3/4 ton trucks used to be.  I had a 2016 f150 that pulled my 27’ Fountain better than my 2006 f350 diesel did.  The f150 got 14-16 mpg pulling 70 mph to Lake Michigan and lake of the ozarks and handled it perfectly.

It also pulled my skid steer and tractors around but once the trailer went over 10k lbs it started pushing the truck around more than I was comfortable with.  

I’d take a new f150 for hauling almost any bumper hitch camper.  Those big 5th wheel rigs can catch too much wind on the highway for a 1/2 ton to control, though.

I sold cars for 6 years. It depends on a number of factors. If you prefer buying used, go for it. If you want to buy new, you might be able to secure 0% from the manufacturer. As far as price on new goes, the rebates and % offers are all dependent on your area code. You can search by manufacturer online.

Try driving a new one from the lines you like and pick the one you like the most. Once you have done this, write an email to a dealer not in your area(or 3). Tell them exactly what you want and to find one and quote the best price. Do not mention a trade or just tell them you don't have one. These quotes should be super low. Use it to price against your local dealer and the guy you want to deal with. Find someone who will take care of you down the road. Try to buy from him in the future. He will look out for you. Let him make a little bit, he has bills to pay.

Dryfly -

Straydog24 -

“I tow very infrequently but have a 7000 pound (dry) travel trailer. The new half tons have 13,000 pound towing capacities. If I towed often I would most likely get a diesel.”

Understand. You know what you need, better than I.

Sometimes I forget not everyone lives where I do.

Our canyons are super steep, I often see half ton trucks, struggling to pull a not large boat up a 60 m.p.h. hill, at about 15-20 m.p.h.

Being rated to pull that weight does not necessarily mean it can drag it up a miles long very steep grade.

Best of luck in obtaining your new truck.

Power isn’t the problem with most new 1/2 ton trucks.  A new ecoboost ford will easily pull way more weight than it can safely control.  

My little 2.7 v6 f150 pulled a Cat 289d (over 10k lbs) on a 14k equipment trailer (3800 lbs) with ease but you could feel the load trying to overcome the truck when turning and stopping. 

I was looking several months ago, the option i was going to go for was to find a low KM second hand that had the warrant still attached to it due to being toyota certified / serviced.

There were several options in different styles , years colors etc that were available, and it avoids the depreciation.

I just bought a 2020 GMC Sierra AT4 on Saturday.  Very happy with my purchase

I’m in the same boat. Right now used crew cab trucks with less than 50k on the clock are going for so much that a new one for a 3-5 grand more with better financing options makes more sense to me.

That said I think truck sales are getting worse before they get better so I’m waiting a while. Or waiting till folks can’t make payments and covid assistance is gone and more used ones are on the market. 

Never buy new. As soon as you drive it off the lot, it depreciates. Just my 2c.