Pat Barry Phone Post

Sub Phone Post

irishman84 - 
pj_benn - 
Anderson P Sonnen -
pj_benn - 
SakuEar -
pj_benn -  Stopped reading after gsp Phone Post

I think GSP's striking is extremely underrated, and I would put him up there with the best in MMA. the way he uses his jab to set up takedowns, his leg kicks, and high kicks, His straight punches, everything about his striking game is crisp, tight, accurate, and powerful. The guy is very misrepresented by many fans as being a "Lay and Pray" fighter, when he is seriously one of the most technical, talented, and cerebral fighters in the game today. He is amazing to watch, and always entertains me.

I never said his striking was horrible. Yeah sure he has a good jab and uses his strikes well to set up tds. But this thread is supposedly about the BEST strikers in the ufc, and gsp is not one of them Phone Post

He is a Kyokushin karate black belt, his boxing was highly touted by Freddie Roach and his taekwondo is pretty good aswell with his spinning back kicks and side kicks. His striking is really good and a part of it that no one gives him credit for is his defense/movement. GSP has great stand up, but its not nearly as good as the likes of Silva or Penn. That said, he is still one of the best. Take it or leave it.

Not nearly as good as the best? Exactly. Thank you Phone Post

Kyokushin Karate lol? thats associated with great striking since when? The highest level most elite striking has always been associated with kickboxing/ thai boxing and western boxing. With very very few exceptions (both in persons and techniques), that karate is shit is not effective in real fights. period. Yeah ill admit his jab is OK and i guess ill go with his kicks being OK, but in general George's catalog shows a limited striking game. Even the most prolific wrestlers/ BJJ practitioners, once attaining some degree of effective stand-up, become obssessed with KO'ing every opponent and GSP isn't that guy. Although there's a lot of truth in the old proverbial, "wrestling is the most important aspect of mixed martial arts", its an absolute fact that BJJ and striking are the superior disciplines based, if nothing else, on the inherent capacity to FINISH the opponent. You cant be on the "greatest strikers in the sport" list when you forcing most people to the ground and 75%+ of your total time in the cage is spent on the canvas.

Kyokushin is his background. Just like Andy Hug's, Bas Rutten's and Semmy Schilt's. So yeah, i would say it is associated with great striking considering the greatest K-1 champion in the history of kickboxing started out in a style based in Kyokushin. Karate is not effective in real fights? have you ever seen an Andy Hug fight? or a Lyoto Machida fight? Karate is a very sneaky art. It may not have the power of Muay Thai, but it is much harder to see coming, and that is the best aspect of it. GSP's distancing, countering, sneaky strikes and timing make him one of the best strikers in the game.

You do not need to be a KO artist to be a great striker. ever heard of Willie Pep? He has a lower KO percentage than GSP, and he is considered one of the most prolific strikers, and revolutionary boxers to ever grace the sport. Striking is not just about knocking people out, it is about timing, precision, judging distance, and fighting smart. GSP is a master at all of these things. GSP's straight punches, switch kicks, and jabs are all beautiful to watch. You may not appreciate it, but you can sure as hell respect it, and at least realize the skill in the standup art that Georges St. Pierre has.

As to your claim that 75% of GSP's total time in the cage is spent on the canvas? That is ridiculous. GSP has spent about 4 hours and 40 minutes in the octagon. You are trying to tell me that for over 3 hours, GSP has been on the canvas? that is ridiculous, and I dare you to go back, watch his fights, and prove that to me. You will realize how truly wrong you are.

TTT Phone Post

SakuEar -
irishman84 - 
pj_benn - 
Anderson P Sonnen -
pj_benn - 
SakuEar -
pj_benn -  Stopped reading after gsp Phone Post

I think GSP's striking is extremely underrated, and I would put him up there with the best in MMA. the way he uses his jab to set up takedowns, his leg kicks, and high kicks, His straight punches, everything about his striking game is crisp, tight, accurate, and powerful. The guy is very misrepresented by many fans as being a "Lay and Pray" fighter, when he is seriously one of the most technical, talented, and cerebral fighters in the game today. He is amazing to watch, and always entertains me.

I never said his striking was horrible. Yeah sure he has a good jab and uses his strikes well to set up tds. But this thread is supposedly about the BEST strikers in the ufc, and gsp is not one of them Phone Post

He is a Kyokushin karate black belt, his boxing was highly touted by Freddie Roach and his taekwondo is pretty good aswell with his spinning back kicks and side kicks. His striking is really good and a part of it that no one gives him credit for is his defense/movement. GSP has great stand up, but its not nearly as good as the likes of Silva or Penn. That said, he is still one of the best. Take it or leave it.

Not nearly as good as the best? Exactly. Thank you Phone Post

Kyokushin Karate lol? thats associated with great striking since when? The highest level most elite striking has always been associated with kickboxing/ thai boxing and western boxing. With very very few exceptions (both in persons and techniques), that karate is shit is not effective in real fights. period. Yeah ill admit his jab is OK and i guess ill go with his kicks being OK, but in general George's catalog shows a limited striking game. Even the most prolific wrestlers/ BJJ practitioners, once attaining some degree of effective stand-up, become obssessed with KO'ing every opponent and GSP isn't that guy. Although there's a lot of truth in the old proverbial, "wrestling is the most important aspect of mixed martial arts", its an absolute fact that BJJ and striking are the superior disciplines based, if nothing else, on the inherent capacity to FINISH the opponent. You cant be on the "greatest strikers in the sport" list when you forcing most people to the ground and 75%+ of your total time in the cage is spent on the canvas.

Kyokushin is his background. Just like Andy Hug's, Bas Rutten's and Semmy Schilt's. So yeah, i would say it is associated with great striking considering the greatest K-1 champion in the history of kickboxing started out in a style based in Kyokushin. Karate is not effective in real fights? have you ever seen an Andy Hug fight? or a Lyoto Machida fight? Karate is a very sneaky art. It may not have the power of Muay Thai, but it is much harder to see coming, and that is the best aspect of it. GSP's distancing, countering, sneaky strikes and timing make him one of the best strikers in the game.

You do not need to be a KO artist to be a great striker. ever heard of Willie Pep? He has a lower KO percentage than GSP, and he is considered one of the most prolific strikers, and revolutionary boxers to ever grace the sport. Striking is not just about knocking people out, it is about timing, precision, judging distance, and fighting smart. GSP is a master at all of these things. GSP's straight punches, switch kicks, and jabs are all beautiful to watch. You may not appreciate it, but you can sure as hell respect it, and at least realize the skill in the standup art that Georges St. Pierre has.

As to your claim that 75% of GSP's total time in the cage is spent on the canvas? That is ridiculous. GSP has spent about 4 hours and 40 minutes in the octagon. You are trying to tell me that for over 3 hours, GSP has been on the canvas? that is ridiculous, and I dare you to go back, watch his fights, and prove that to me. You will realize how truly wrong you are.

THANK YOU!!! I wasn't even going to waste my time on an explanation as to why GSP is on this thread. Great striking is based on movement, speed, accuracy, power, creativity, etc. GSP controls his fights with wrestling, yes. But he transitions to his wrestling from his great striking.

Ask Kos about George's "OK" jab lol. Phone Post

Sorry no gifs last night folks...rough one. Will get back on it tonight ;) Phone Post

If Paul Sass was on the list, you might call me delusional. I respect your opinion as to why you and several others think GSP's striking is inefficient. You are entitled to it, but let's just agree to disagree.

I'm not listing fighters based on statistics, I'm listing based on who I think Is the best well rounded strikers in my view. I know some you may not agree with a few of my choices, but instead of continuing a debate on right and wrong, suggest more strikers for me to put on here. This was one of the purposes of this thread brotha Phone Post

ERICK SILVA

PAT BARRY

Anderson P Sonnen - 

DENIS SIVER

The fact that he has hit that spinning back kick so reliably on multiple people and with such force is nuts.

ttt

TTT

. Phone Post

I wanna get some of Cains stand up against JDS on here later as well. Also Wineland from 155 too Phone Post

kao - ttt

. Phone Post

I love Hendo but he is NOT one of the best strikers in MMA. He just has big power.........

Urijah needs to come off that list.

MMAjustice - Urijah needs to come off that list.

Alrighty then. Been meaning to take him off brotha, but with my wife just giving birth and us moving, just hadn't found the time. I see that he's not one of the best, he's just a fav of mine and I was just showing some appreciation. No worries Phone Post

Haulport -

I love Hendo but he is NOT one of the best strikers in MMA. He just has big power.........

I see your point, but watching his fights throughout the years has shown me that he is. I will not take HENDO off the list. Phone Post