Best takedown defense in UFC history

Fighters with 10 or more UFC fights should only really be in the conversation IMO.

http://ufcstats.com/fighter-details/f1b2aa7853d1ed6e

The percentages are from the ufcstats site and I’m not sure how much control is needed for them to count takedowns as successful in their stats but still found it interesting.

Conor 100% (just kidding)
Bisping 100% (just kidding)
Usman 100%
Jones 95%
Aldo 90% (edit:added)
Makhachev 88%
Cain 85%
Khabib 84%
GSP 83%
DC 80%

I just looked up those fighters, not sure who else has impressive takedown defense stats off the top of my head.

1 Like

Chuck has to be up there. He was known to be especially hard to take down and even harder to hold down.

6 Likes

Also BJ. In his prime his balance on one leg was something special.

6 Likes

That’s what I came here to post. Chuck was the best at sprawl and brawl…

1 Like

I just looked, Chuck is at 81% and Penn is at 74%. Obviously their numbers are only that low because of who they fought and Penn’s would be a lot higher if you just looked at his prime.

Thats the thing, the stats only say so much because people fight different strength of comp and fight for different lengths of time but they still say something overall I think.

Unless he really rocks him, we can be 100% certain Edwards won’t be scoring takedowns on Usman.

2 Likes

Prime BJ

8 Likes

Jose Aldo should be in the conversation

4 Likes

For sure.

90% takedown defense over 14 years in the WEC and UFC. Incredible.

Merab could hurt those stats a lot in a couple weeks though, Aldo is starting to slow down while Merab is in his prime.

1 Like

So officially, that takedown Colby got on Usman in the rematch did not count?

2 Likes

BJ fought a ton of killer wrestlers and one of the knocks against Chuck is that he outstruck a bunch of grapplers. LOL

What are Lawlers stats like? He always struck me as very good at backing up and turning takedown attempts into clinches against the cage

No. Unfortunately, the takedown stat is kind of meaningless.

They counted this as a takedown for Chandler!

Screenshot 2022-08-05 at 13-22-36 Stats UFC

Who has taken khabib down?

I don’t really understand how they score takedowns in the ufc and mma.

1 Like

Gleison Tibau took Khabib down I think and then Khabib went 0-12 or something on his own takedown attempts in that fight

The Aldo one is pretty impressive considering how much he fought & who he was fighting.

2 Likes

It was all that Coke for sure

Woooooo! Woooooo!

Yup, he might have fought the best list of wrestlers. GSP also up there.

1 Like

A slam is definitely a takedown, Gaethje just got right back up.

1 Like