Best Vid Card Right Now

im updating my system and need to know what the best video card to get. Whats the best one on the market right now? thanx

Best video card right now is the Radeon 9800 XT.

If you want my advice though, now is a bad time to upgrade.

64bit processors have just been released and are very expensive (apart from the new AMD 3000 model).

ATI and Nvidia are also going to be releasing new GPUs sometime in the new year.

It may be more prudent to see how this hardware pans out before committing yourself to a product right now.

I would also say you will get much better 'bang for buck' (I hate that fucking phrase) getting a 9700 Pro or a 9600 Pro than going for a 9800 XT, which probably won't go that much faster.

I would say wait untill around the time Half-life 2 gets relieced (if it ever happens). It is going to be the game most cards are going to be tested with. Whitch ever card gets the best reviews with it and has the better value. wright now it appears ATI is the front runner right now. But the video card world changes so fast it is hard to see 6 months ahead.

If you're going to buy now the 9800xt blows everything out of the water and the 9800pro isn't far behind. If you can hold off a few months it would be in your best interest because the next generation cards containing dx10 will be out by.

I just bought a 9700 pro all in wonder and it rocks hard. It's the same core as the 9800xt only clocked lower.

Wait and see what the card makers do to handle Doom... Carmack has more influencee over the video card industry than anyone...

Do not buy a 9600 pro. I did and some old games that I have can't run well. When it runs, it's great, if it doesn't, you're shit out of luck. My KOTOR doesn't work despite the patch. I'm thinking of trading it in for a 9800 xt.

Radeon 9800 should run everything well including the upcoming Doom3 generation

Tsuneo has a point, but there will always be better equipment to be bought and always something on the horizon to max it. If you wait for 64, you are still going to have to wait for a 64bit OS unless you plan to run Linux right away. (and software that can take advantage, etc)

Just make sure you buy something that gives you the ability to upgrade.

It's safe to say the 9800 series will run HL and Doom, especially since HL2 is being included with the 9800XT card. However I would wait on upgrading the video if you didn't want to make the investment now in the 9800Pro/XT or Nvidea equivalent. Might save you some bucks, however the 9700 Pro sat around the same price for nearly a year before it dropped.

Looks like Doom is only a few months away anyway, with HL hopefully following soon after. (Heard 3rd quarter though) :(

"...Do not buy a 9600 pro. I did and some old games that I have can't run well. When it runs, it's great, if it doesn't, you're shit out of luck. My KOTOR doesn't work despite the patch. I'm thinking of trading it in for a 9800 xt."

Try installing the 3.10's on ati's website. A lot of times when games don't work you just need to change drivers.

I got a 9800 pro for just under 300 bucks and it fucking hauls. 20100 marks in 3dm2001se.

well, half life 2 is getting bundled in with the 9600xt, and i doubt it will play half life 2 very well. I'd say go with a 9700pro or 9800pro.

if you can find a 9700 pro... i tried man, those things are rare. and the 9800 pro aint all that much more expensive.

question about my processor. I have a 1.2 amd athlon and want to unpgrade it eventually but if i get the video card will it make a big enough difference to where i wouldnt have to get a new processor?
the vid card i have now is a gforce4 ti 4200
i play c&c generals alot and it is getting choppy when im in big games.

Thanks gabora. But the patch needs XP SP1 which I can't get as I have a product ID that microsoft don't like.