Best way to get in shape for Muay Thai/MMA

Right now I'm 30 5'11 and weight 215 down from about 228.

What is a good routine for me to become an athlete and get into fighting shape?
The Muay Thai class I do now kicks my ass bad. My goal weight is to be around 185 and cut to 170.

I like doing sprints but hate jogging on the treadmill. I need to be able to be explosive for short burst of time and have good cardio to finish the fight strong. Any suggestions for a sample routine? Phone Post 3.0

Train your sport and look up Joel Jamieson 8 week conditioning program. Phone Post 3.0

Clean up your diet. Losing excess bodyfat will certainly help

Thanks guys I'll try looking into that. I'm trying to lose about 30 pounds

I've been doing 30 second intervals with about 5 rounds of the following exercise

1)Left kicks without stopping
2)right kicks
3)push-ups
4)squats
5) ab work

Then I try to do about 5 or 6 rounds on the heavybag and I try to do this at least 4 times a week. Phone Post 3.0

When I was wrestling, nothing helped me more than doing more of what I was struggling with; like, at the end of practice we'd do a bunch I calisthenics and sprawls, and the sprawls KILLED me. So, on off days, I'd stretch, then do shit like tabata sprawls, or 100 sprawls for time, etc.

That eventually expanded to included chained shot drills, sit-outs/hip heists, etc, but it was amazingly helpful for wrestling. Phone Post 3.0

Seul - When I was wrestling, nothing helped me more than doing more of what I was struggling with; like, at the end of practice we'd do a bunch I calisthenics and sprawls, and the sprawls KILLED me. So, on off days, I'd stretch, then do shit like tabata sprawls, or 100 sprawls for time, etc.

That eventually expanded to included chained shot drills, sit-outs/hip heists, etc, but it was amazingly helpful for wrestling. Phone Post 3.0
I'll try to focus on some of my problem areas but the conditioning is tough at this time they are always changing up the workouts to make it more difficult

I was gassed out in class earlier a few times I felt like throwing up lol Phone Post 3.0

Do more aerobic work - jogging, swimming, skipping rope, hitting the bag at very low intensities for long periods, etc. All your efforts right now are aimed at improving your anaerobic capacity, which has only a limited room for improvement. On the other hand your aerobic capacity can be improved upon weekly for decades to come, and will be the basis of every activity you do that lasts for longer than about 90 seconds. The above poster was right, check out Joel Jamieson, especially his roadwork 2.0 article.

HULC - Do more aerobic work - jogging, swimming, skipping rope, hitting the bag at very low intensities for long periods, etc. All your efforts right now are aimed at improving your anaerobic capacity, which has only a limited room for improvement. On the other hand your aerobic capacity can be improved upon weekly for decades to come, and will be the basis of every activity you do that lasts for longer than about 90 seconds. The above poster was right, check out Joel Jamieson, especially his roadwork 2.0 article.
Thanks! A lot of great information there. I'm trying to stay as active as possible. I try to find as much time to train around work as I can.

I went to training earlier and I've been hitting a wall at about the 40-45 min mark in class where I am totally gassed out.

Ill check out the program you recommended! :) Phone Post 3.0

HULC - Do more aerobic work - jogging, swimming, skipping rope, hitting the bag at very low intensities for long periods, etc. All your efforts right now are aimed at improving your anaerobic capacity, which has only a limited room for improvement. On the other hand your aerobic capacity can be improved upon weekly for decades to come, and will be the basis of every activity you do that lasts for longer than about 90 seconds. The above poster was right, check out Joel Jamieson, especially his roadwork 2.0 article.
100 percent this! Great advice. Phone Post 3.0

So one should be doing this rather than something like hiit? Phone Post 3.0

spidermanik - 
So one should be doing this rather than something like hiit? Phone Post 3.0

Strictly speaking it depends where in your training camp you are and what you're trying to achieve. But in general, aerobic training can be carried out year round and give consistent improvements without burning out an athlete. HIIT gains stop after a few weeks, and the workouts are very hard on the CNS of the athlete.

It can also be a nutrition issue. Make sure you are eating enough throughout the day so you don't bonk during your workouts. Phone Post 3.0

When I was fighting I would do the bas rutten CDs on a heavy bag,and I very quickly went from being in poor shape to having some of the best cardio in the class Phone Post 3.0

Also to add I started around 235 and ended up in the 178-182 range,no running or lifting,just showing up to class and following the CDs with my heavy bag Phone Post 3.0

TheThrill - Also to add I started around 235 and ended up in the 178-182 range,no running or lifting,just showing up to class and following the CDs with my heavy bag Phone Post 3.0
Awesome! that's a great idea I'm down about 15 pounds so far.

I need to be around that weight at 185 and have kick ass cardio it still seems like the hardest area to improve is the cardio.

. I can maintain explosive combos but about 3/4 of the way through class i am gassed like Mark Coleman style

How often were you doing the bad rutten workout? Phone Post 3.0

surf2live - It can also be a nutrition issue. Make sure you are eating enough throughout the day so you don't bonk during your workouts. Phone Post 3.0
This might be an reason also. I feel like when I train on an empty stomach I am more into survival mode and train better.

I heard Connor say something similar on the embedded also about roadwork on an empty stomach.

After eating I feel sluggish and slower and not as aggressive Phone Post 3.0

Seul - When I was wrestling, nothing helped me more than doing more of what I was struggling with; like, at the end of practice we'd do a bunch I calisthenics and sprawls, and the sprawls KILLED me. So, on off days, I'd stretch, then do shit like tabata sprawls, or 100 sprawls for time, etc.

Mixing in sprawls with kickboxing is shit hard.

100 sprawls is impressive since you are pretty much doing a burpee. Nice Phone Post 3.0

Mynameisburns -
TheThrill - Also to add I started around 235 and ended up in the 178-182 range,no running or lifting,just showing up to class and following the CDs with my heavy bag Phone Post 3.0
Awesome! that's a great idea I'm down about 15 pounds so far.

I need to be around that weight at 185 and have kick ass cardio it still seems like the hardest area to improve is the cardio.

. I can maintain explosive combos but about 3/4 of the way through class i am gassed like Mark Coleman style

How often were you doing the bad rutten workout? Phone Post 3.0
Pretty much everyday,I was in college only taking a couple classes a day,training Tues and Thursday nights,and I hung a heavy bag in my living room lol

If I was too outta shape at the beginning I started with 3 rounds or so,by the time I was in better shape I would do it everyday and sometimes twice a day Phone Post 3.0

mkou - Train your sport and look up Joel Jamieson 8 week conditioning program. Phone Post 3.0
I agree with this. Train specifically to your sport and you will see the best results. Work more of whatever gasses you out the most. Phone Post 3.0

This.
End of thread. Phone Post 3.0