Best way to reinstall Windows XP?

My computer keeps on locking up. I want to reinstall windows.

What are the proper steps in wiping out the hard drive, then reinstalling XP?

Thanks!!!

Make sure you back up everything you need. Then just boot with the WinXP CD in the drive and you will have the option to format your hard drive as part of the installation process.

thanks spg...

how long does it take to format and reinstall??? Is it true it can take a few hours???

Um, I think it usually takes me about an hour.

What really pisses me off is that every 10 minutes you have to answer some questions about configuration. They should let you answer all the questions at the beginning, then go do something else and come back and it's done.

Why are your reasons for reinstalling???

oh... and thanks for the info...

"What really pisses me off is that every 10 minutes you have to answer some questions about configuration. They should let you answer all the questions at the beginning, then go do something else and come back and it's done."

if you use Expect or similar languages, you can script the hell out of Windows installation... probably very useful when you need more variation than 8 different Ghosted partitions pushed out to different classes of machine.

one of the techs i work with made a custom XP Home and Pro, oads adaware, norton, google toolbar and all the updates during installation, fuckin sweet

start with FDISK and go from there

Answer files.