Best Welder/Fabricator youve ever met, AMA

Ask any metal/welding/fabrication type questions you may have. I am also a decent carpenter so I can generally help there too. Phone Post 3.0

Is it true that you can weld the crack of dawn? Phone Post 3.0

How long should I mix JB Weld before applying? Phone Post 3.0

vu ... I shall be back here in the future op

I got a little boxbox. and make tons of retarded /awesome shit ..

TFK_SaltineAmerican - Is it true that you can weld the crack of dawn? Phone Post 3.0
Anything but the crack of dawn and a broken heart, I can fit for 4 welders or weld for 4 fitters, and if you can step across the gap I can fill it. Phone Post 3.0

MrFluffyHippo - How long should I mix JB Weld before applying? Phone Post 3.0
Just use a real 2 part gel epoxy! Better in every way, we sometimes use it on large thin sheets when affixing them because welding will often slightly warp them. Phone Post 3.0

rigpig -

vu ... I shall be back here in the future op

I got a little boxbox. and make tons of retarded /awesome shit ..

Did you mean buzzbox? Phone Post 3.0

Spool gun for a wire welder to weld aluminum, waste of money?

I know tig is the best but do spool guns and alum wire work worth a shit. Phone Post 3.0

SpecialB420 - Explain how to lay out a 45 degree rolling offset (piping) on the floor. 4 inch. No smart level.

Rise squared plus roll squared multiplied by 2, assuming youre using weld-els. It gets way more complicated if youre bending the pipe mechanically, Which obviously you wouldn't be likely to be doing with 4 inch pipe lol.

I just did a 12' one piece metal gate for a friend, using 3" x 1.5" tubing (with arched 1.5" x 1.5" across the top), 11 gauge. Buzzbox with various leftover rod (6011, 6013 and 7014). Peanut grinder was my friend, if you know what I mean. I had to do some special fabricating or the hinge, but that's another story. Here are some questions:

1) What rod would you recommend and why?

2) Do you leave all the weld on seams or do you grind some off for a cleaner look?

3) Would a 120v flux core machine be a decent option (for 11 gauge)?

I wish I would have known about you before I started the project.

Kubla khan - Spool gun for a wire welder to weld aluminum, waste of money?

I know tig is the best but do spool guns and alum wire work worth a shit. Phone Post 3.0

Yes and no. Unless youre welding several hundred feet of aluminum in a day HF Tig is sooooo much better. Its cleaner, its more predictable, consumables are less complicated, and it never breaks. The worst that can happen is you need a new ceramic cup on your torch, wheras with a spoolgun you can spend half the day trying to repair burnt up tips, cleaning spatter off your nozzle, etc. It can be a major pain even for an experienced welder. Most of the spoolguns under 1000 dollars are pretty worthless, and for 1000 dollars you can buy an old HF synchrowave or a miller diversion and have a top of the line tig setup. I personally hate Aluminum MIG, but there are guys that make it work efficiently.

Think you could weld the Tin Man a sheet metal cock?

As a local 40 ironworker, I'd beg to differ with your self assessment. I've worked with some phenomenal welders over the years. I've seen masterful craftsmanship from the men in local 580, the ornamental/decorative local. Phone Post 3.0

IP - I just did a 12' one piece metal gate for a friend, using 3" x 1.5" tubing (with arched 1.5" x 1.5" across the top), 11 gauge. Buzzbox with various leftover rod (6011, 6013 and 7014). Peanut grinder was my friend, if you know what I mean. I had to do some special fabricating or the hinge, but that's another story. Here are some questions:

1) What rod would you recommend and why?

2) Do you leave all the weld on seams or do you grind some off for a cleaner look?

3) Would a 120v flux core machine be a decent option (for 11 gauge)?

I wish I would have known about you before I started the project.

1. Well if you were using brand new rods and brand new metal 7018 is tough to beat, its a nice smooth weld, and runs smoothly with minimal spatter. However, they definitely need to be stored in a rod oven if theyre out of the package for more than a few days if you want optimal results. They have a low hydrogen flux that doesn't respond well to moisture, and also doesn't do super well with dirty/galvanized/corroded metal.

6011 is as good a choice as any if youre using rods that have been sitting in a shop for years, They aren't overly affected by moisture and run fine over paint, dirty metal etc. Great farm/repair rod, and can run hot and deep even with a junky AC welder or $50 craigslist buzzbox.

2. It 100% depends on the function of the item and thickness. If you feel like you got 100% full penetration and want a cleaner look then by all means sand that thing smooth, even ground or flapwheeled flush if you got full penetration in the joint it will still be stronger than the surrounding metal, I currently grind down 100% of my welds as everything we produce is for interactives in theme parks/water parks, so they need to be a smooth and clean finish and many times are themed items.

3. That would be totally fine on 11 ga, self shielded flux core on a decent machine should do okay up to 1/4" as long as its not an ultra heavy application, for something like a gate it would be fine, especially if you left a 16th inch gap, or grooved the fitup. I like to do a flush and tight fitup, then come back with an older used stone grinding wheel that has been rounded off and make the joint into a U groove joint with that, then you know its clean, and will get full penetration.

Thanks, been debating getting one but if it's tricky to use I'll just keep paying someone else to do my alum.

I can put two pieces together but would never call my self a welder.

It's amazing what you pros can do. Phone Post 3.0

I was a local #378 Ironworker for close to 8 years when I was young, but heavy structural work and smaller miscellaneous fabrication/welding are two different ball games. I don't have much experience at the latter, more of a hobby.

Thanks for the feedback....and expect occasional posts in the future.

I remember seeing a guy welding at a point with the typical gigantic wire feeder, smoke from the arc billowing up along his face. He stopped briefly, flicked his hood up to show he had a cigarette hanging from his mouth.

One more observation that confirmed why I didn't want in the welding gang.

all this time I didn't realize my dad was AlchemyIronworks

I do a little welding at work sometimes. 50 with a 120v Hobart.

I was welding 2 Pieces of steel about 1/4" thick. Had a good ground and Had the welder set at 4/50 in accordance with the chart. But my bead would just bubble on the steel.

What was I doing wrong? Phone Post 3.0

pin909 - I do a little welding at work sometimes. 50 with a 120v Hobart.

I was welding 2 Pieces of steel about 1/4" thick. Had a good ground and Had the welder set at 4/50 in accordance with the chart. But my bead would just bubble on the steel.

What was I doing wrong? Phone Post 3.0
Sorry, just a 120v Hobart. Phone Post 3.0