Beta Framed Forum

As some of you may or may not know, the framed version of the forum is written on ColdFusion in code that is over a decade old. That is not optimal. In the past few years we have updated the main website to Ruby on Rails running a Heroku instance. It is modern, HTML 5 compliant with a responsive framework that is not dependent on physical hardware. We have also updated the standard forum.

The framed forum is next. It has to be done. That said, we do not want to do a complete overhaul only to have our members hate it. So our plan was to start development and beta test continually through the process. The first version of the new framed forum is up for review.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/forums/frames/UnderGround

This version of the framed forum is NOT complete. There are only three forums accessible and not all the functionality is available. The first step is basically the layout and design. We want honest feedback that will direct our development going forward and try to give a product that our framed forum users will like, but will also provide a cleaner, faster experience.

We look forward to your feedback.

just make it the exact same but on the newer tech. i like how it is now

Bolivia Newton John - 

We only do Alpha shit here!

Last time i tried to post on the beta framed version from a Firefox browser, the site would crap out.  Im guessing the "Post" button pops up a dialouge box that is not visible.  It has control and the background page was inaccessible 

This was 2 days ago.

Test

nevermind - appears to be working now!

edit - testing edit function

feedback on beta:

used to be that the frames could refresh separately...hence i could refresh the thread topics frame while the content/discussion frame was unaffected and vice versa.

when i click on refresh icon in left frame in beta, right hand/discussion frame also refreshes.

CRE -
Bolivia Newton John - 

This. Just fix whatever troubles you must but the layout now is great.

on the beta, when you are trying to post a video or jpeg, you have to scroll up if you are on the bottom of the thread. could you have the pop up window for video either move with your scrolling or simply place it at the bottom of the thread window?

While you're at it fix the refresh problem before you go to making 10 more problems

Works better than the old one:)

Bolivia Newton John -

That is not optimal. 

Your Forum Pages (like before you click a thread on the sidebar) need big graphics or something to fill that white space. News feed or something

I do like the other threads on the sidebar as Im reading a thread, but how is it going to be handled once you get ALL the forums at the top of that sidebar?

May I suggest doing it like the thread titles, where theyre in their own iFrame and scroll thru them, that way you dont have a huge list of Forums and then threads lower in your browser window.

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Bolivia Newton John - 

love the layout of the forum. it is my favorite message board on the net. don't mess with it! it seems like you could copy the way it is now on the newer tech. i tried using the beta and hated the look of it

DaveFu - We only do Alpha shit here!

the line that has the symbols: house, star, person and arrows should have maybe a text bubble pop up when you hover over it? i.e. star=favourites. also, the red shade used against the charcoal isn't easy to read. maybe use the grey background you have below? 

not a big issue, but i'd probably use a slightly larger font for the the 3 tabs of the UG, OG and Rev BJJ tabs. 

sacredhate - 

feedback on beta:

used to be that the frames could refresh separately...hence i could refresh the thread topics frame while the content/discussion frame was unaffected and vice versa.

when i click on refresh icon in left frame in beta, right hand/discussion frame also refreshes.

this was one of the BIGGEST appeals of the frame forum imo.

I know im going to get a lot of shit, but LOL at using the framed version.
Frames in web pages went out of fashion in 1998, get with the times grampas!