Better athletes: Rugby Vs NFL

Jonah Lomu - 6'5 - 275lbs - New Zealand

Joe Rokocoko - 6’2 & 230lbs - New Zealand - both in Fiji - 100m in 10.66s

Nobody could run over 170 pound white English guys like Lomu

1 Like

Got it.  So this is a homo thread to post pictures of your man crushes.  Feel free to google scantily clad nflers.  I am out!

Unless....

BailmeOut -

Got it.  So this is a homo thread to post pictures of your man crushes.  Feel free to google scantily clad nflers.  I am out!

Unless....

The myth of the NFL players being the best athletes has been ruined for you?

No worries, but thanks for trying.

WALES -

Attn MODS: Can you edit the title to say Rugby Vs NFL 

Thank you

Got it

1 Like

Not an expert, but I'd say that rugby, especially league, has better all around athletes. The NFL has them beat for speed, explosiveness and strength. But rugby athletes are still uncanny in those areas, and they beat the NFL hands down for stamina, body coordination, hand-eye coordination, etc.

The NFL really sacfificed all around athleticism for a few physical characteristics when it abandoned the single platoon.

1 Like

Cire -
WALES -

Attn MODS: Can you edit the title to say Rugby Vs NFL 

Thank you

Got it

Thanks, Big C!

What’s going on with the app today? It’s not posting all the text,

What type of salary are these top Rugby players earning?

1 Like

Pure all-round athletes? Rugby players without question

1 Like

I love these threads. They always attract guys who couldn’t crack a starting high school line in either sport who will argue until their blue in the face which sport has better athletes. 

Having played both I can say without question that both are very different sports with very different skill sets. Both require a lot of athleticism to be successful at and both take a pretty big toll on your body. 

Rugby is much more dynamic and fun to play in my opinion. 

2 Likes

WALES -

Jonah Lomu - 6'5 - 275lbs - New Zealand

Oh man, I remember Lomu in the 95 World Cup. Every time he touched the ball you thought someone was going to get wrecked. Ha. 

Didn’t he have some world record car stereo or something for a while?  

1 Like

WALES -
BailmeOut -

Unless....

you started this thread by saying "I just want to learn more about the nfl and maybe share some of what I know about rugby". So  I said, ok, I'll give this a chance.  Then you immediately start shit and have an agenda to try to prove your preferred sport is better than the other and you shit on anyone who has an alternative opinion.  You start an open minded thread and immediately make it close minded.  You're a weird person.  

The only thing I was going to ask, in efforts to actually learn about rugby, because I know football, is what kind of money do the top guys make?  Some of the guys you have posted could be freaks but do they make as much as the guys in the NFL?   I have to assume that they do because if they didn't, then why wouldn't they give it a shot?    I honestly have no idea what kind of money they make.

2 Likes

Rugby, more durable, better stamina. NFL stronger, quicker

oblongo -

Not an expert, but I'd say that rugby, especially league, has better all around athletes. The NFL has them beat for speed, explosiveness and strength. But rugby athletes are still uncanny in those areas, and they beat the NFL hands down for stamina, body coordination, hand-eye coordination, etc.

The NFL really sacfificed all around athleticism for a few physical characteristics when it abandoned the single platoon.

I don't know enough about rugby to have much of an opinion, but it would surprise me if they beat NFL athletes hands down in "body and hand eye coordination ". Some of the sideline catches in the NFL are incredible. You have any videos you could post?

I get so annoyed when people try to compare "best athletes" across sports.

To be a professional athlete is genetics plus hard work. Some guys can make it with a lot of one and not much of the other, but to be elite in any of the big sports, you need both.

Now, when you compare across different sports, it is pretty fucking stupid. These guys train their specific bodies for their specific jobs.

Who are you comparing a Rugby guy to in the NFL specifically?

The same guy you pick that has the body type to become an elite offesnive lineman in the NFL is NOT going to be an elite corner or WR. The same as an elite field goal kicker in the NFL is not going to be an elite anything in rugby.

I don't give a shit how great of an athlete you are, if you are 5'9, you are not being a top lineman. At the same time, if you are 300lbs, you are not going to be a WR or CB.

The NFL is pretty unique in the fact that there are specific positions that specific body types are better suited for.

These comparisons are completely hypothetical. For a true answer, you would have to take a time machine and convince a little kid to change his direction and passions to a different game and see the outcome.

1 Like
Diabeetus -
oblongo -

I don't know enough about rugby to have much of an opinion, but it would surprise me if they beat NFL athletes hands down in "body and hand eye coordination ". Some of the sideline catches in the NFL are incredible. You have any videos you could post?

An example of what I'm talking about. 

jake11 -
WALES -
BailmeOut -

Unless....

you started this thread by saying "I just want to learn more about the nfl and maybe share some of what I know about rugby". So  I said, ok, I'll give this a chance.  Then you immediately start shit and have an agenda to try to prove your preferred sport is better than the other and you shit on anyone who has an alternative opinion.  You start an open minded thread and immediately make it close minded.  You're a weird person.  

The only thing I was going to ask, in efforts to actually learn about rugby, because I know football, is what kind of money do the top guys make?  Some of the guys you have posted could be freaks but do they make as much as the guys in the NFL?   I have to assume that they do because if they didn't, then why wouldn't they give it a shot?    I honestly have no idea what kind of money they make.

Because the poster made a claim without being able to back it up. 

WALES -

Bryan Habana - 100m in 10.4s

https://sports.yahoo.com/tyreek-hill-eyes-olympics-qualifying-163625850.html

Tyreek is not even seen by many to be the fastest in the NFL. Ran a wind aided sub 10s 100M.  In fucking High School. Was thinking about trying to qualify for the olympics just for the hell of it.

jake11 -
WALES -
BailmeOut -

Unless....

Have the same feelings about OP. 

Anyway, I asked the same question above about salary, so I decided to go look. From what I can see is, the top paid player gets about 1.2 million US.