Better sub grappling Weidman or Rockhold

Who do you think the better pure sub grappler is, and the better mma sub grappler is?

I'd say weidman, but then again I have no idea what I'm talking about. Phone Post 3.0

ima zombie - I'd say weidman, but then again I have no idea what I'm talking about. Phone Post 3.0

I would assume this just because of his background and him being a serra longo product.

But what do i know about what that actually means.

Weidman. Trust me. I visit a lot of MMA forums. Phone Post 3.0

Pessimist_Pete - Weidman. Trust me. I visit a lot of MMA forums. Phone Post 3.0
Lol, excellent.

I would say that Weidman is the better positional grappler but Rockhold has much trickier and opportunistic submissions. I'd compare their respective styles and abilities on the ground to Penn (Weidman) and Lauzon (Rockhold).

Obviously their styles of BJJ differ - you're never going to see Weidman using the rubber guard - but I think it's a fair comparison to make regarding the differences in their approaches and strengths on the ground. Phone Post 3.0

According to the East Coast experts (Serra, Renzo) Weidman's grappling is at the elite level. Combined with his wrestling, I'd have to go with Weidman. Now that's not to say that Luke is a slouch. Pure grappling, Luke would be at a disadvantage. In MMA, his awkwardness combined with his slick reversals and subs makes him always dangerous.

In terms of the evidence in their MMA careers, we can't really say. Rockhold has had two great submission finishes in his last two fights and is generally a solid grappler. Weidman has had some crafty chokes and has outgrappled Anderson Silva, Lyoto Machida, and Mark Munoz. Both have held their own against the grappling elite (Maia and Jacare), though I don't remember how much time was spent on the ground in either fight.

As boxing wiz said, the reason many people will say Weidman is because of his reputation. The word in the northeast is that Weidman is a genuinely world class grappler. Most of us have seen his match with Galvao - a year into his BJJ training he holds his own against the best in the world.

So, based on evidence, we can say they are both excellent and Weidman is a better wrestler.

Based on evidence and reputation, I think it's fair to give Weidman the edge.

weidman by quite a bit

Weidman. Weidman is better everywhere Phone Post 3.0

Didn't rockhold win gold at worlds? Wouldn't that make him better than weidman. I haven't seen anything from weidman that shows he'd be a better grappler than rockhold. Just my opinion. Phone Post 3.0

Weidman id say is definitely a better grappler. Grappling includes clinch work, takedowns and so on. Pure ability to sub one is not as important as those and when you break down who has a better raw sub game id say weidman along with better control being more athletic and better transitions. 

Is Luke maybe better at gi bjj? Idk maybe but that doesnt matter. If they had a grappling match I bet weidman techs him. As in he gets like 20 unanswered points. 

daxfactor - Didn't rockhold win gold at worlds? Wouldn't that make him better than weidman. I haven't seen anything from weidman that shows he'd be a better grappler than rockhold. Just my opinion. Phone Post 3.0

Rockhold won Gi Worlds at blue in 07 and No Gi Worlds at purple the same year. Weidman won his way into ADCC and went to overtime with Galvao. Rockhold's grappling feats are freaking legit, and who knows how good he could have been if he focussed on BJJ purely. But Weidman's trials win and not only surviving with Galvao (World Champion at every belt level and future ADCC weight and absolute winner) but having him on the defensive for much of the match is a the basis for saying he is > than Luke

BiggRigg -
daxfactor - Didn't rockhold win gold at worlds? Wouldn't that make him better than weidman. I haven't seen anything from weidman that shows he'd be a better grappler than rockhold. Just my opinion. Phone Post 3.0

Rockhold won Gi Worlds at blue in 07 and No Gi Worlds at purple the same year. Weidman won his way into ADCC and went to overtime with Galvao. Rockhold's grappling feats are freaking legit, and who knows how good he could have been if he focussed on BJJ purely. But Weidman's trials win and not only surviving with Galvao (World Champion at every belt level and future ADCC weight and absolute winner) but having him on the defensive for much of the match is a the basis for saying he is > than Luke
This. Phone Post 3.0

BTTMike -
BiggRigg -

This. Phone Post 3.0
. Phone Post 3.0

BiggRigg - 

I think this is an accurate appraisal.

Weidman definitely has the better MMA grappling in terms or defensive wrestling, offensive wrestling and his own high-level BJJ skills.

Who has the better MMA BJJ? I'm gonna stick my head out here and say Rockhold. They're both creative and aggressive on the ground, I just think Rockhold's more creative and aggressive. Phone Post 3.0

Hard to say since both of them have never really been tested on their backs while getting punched in the face.

Weidman would absolutely dominate him. Not even a comparison. Your talking a division 1 world class wrestler with elite blackbelt ground

Weidamn Cuz the wrasslin. Weidman is the real deal even though 85 is stacked I can see him as champ for a while Phone Post 3.0

I think it would be incredibly close. You do have to remember, Rockhold trains everyday with the top heavyweight and no.2/3 light heavyweight. They may be less technical than Weidman, but they are definitely stronger and harder to move in positional grappling.

It is a fight I really want to see, and a few years ago I thought it would be Weidman getting ready to challenge Luke for the title. Phone Post 3.0